Martin Montoya

Irish_Cules

I thought he was very good, exceptional in the second half. There's no doubt that he has the quality to start for this team for years to come.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
MOTM.

All Alves is doing is getting in the way of Montoya flourishing in our starters defense and making us more solid. Montoya-Pique-Puyol-Alba is definitely a solid defense that can save us from conceding left and right.

BarcaGirl

Poor in the first half, but turned it up in the second; hope we can see him against PSG. Maybe something like: Alba-Pique-Puyol (?)-Montoya ?

Puyol is still injured. If Alba is fit I would love to see

Alba-Pique-Mascherano-Montoya

The way Alves played today, would be suicide against PSG.

Stric

Seeing him next to Alves at the same time really assured me of some things I was already thinking before. :lol:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
He was reserved but it's understandable when he had to play as LB. Still, did better than any of our defenders.

Stric

So much time has passed since he last played that I was beginning to buy into the "Alves is still far superior" thing. Luckily, I had today's game to remind me how badly Alves sucks in comparison to a 21-year-old youngster who played 6 miliseconds this season. And not even in his own position.

Cule4life

The Culest
So much time has passed since he last played that I was beginning to buy into the "Alves is still far superior" thing. Luckily, I had today's game to remind me how badly Alves sucks in comparison to a 21-year-old youngster who played 6 miliseconds this season. And not even in his own position.

I never bought into this "Alves is still far superior" thing. This guy plays like he's playing for fun on the playground. Constantly forward without tracking back. Someone needs to remind him he's a RB not a RW

If Alba is fit for the PSG clash, Montoya should be started over Alves at RB IMO. Alves has been too inconsistent lately. One game he plays well, the next he plays terribly.

Stric

The management ought to take a good hard look in the mirror and think about Montoya's place in the squad lately. Today's game just underlines how outrageous this situation is.

Irish_Cules

The management ought to take a good hard look in the mirror and think about Montoya's place in the squad lately. Today's game just underlines how outrageous this situation is.

Apparently it has something to do with him not training hard enough. I think they're just showing him some tough love at the moment to get him to work harder and more focused which will ultimately help him in the long run. They know he has the quality to be a first team regular for long time so they want to him to maximise his potential. We'll see a lot more of him towards the end of the season and I reckon next year he could even overtake Dani.

Stric

Apparently it has something to do with him not training hard enough. I think they're just showing him some tough love at the moment to get him to work harder and more focused which will ultimately help him in the long run. They know he has the quality to be a first team regular for long time so they want to him to maximise his potential. We'll see a lot more of him towards the end of the season and I reckon next year he could even overtake Dani.

That might be true, and as I've said before, if that's the case, if it's a disciplinary problem of some sort, then I support the decision. But if it's not, then I honestly don't know what to say. It would be preposterous. No official statement was ever given about the situation, so I'm still inclined to think that it's just the staff's stubbornness we've been witnessing for a while.

Like I said on the other thread, Montoya (and Adriano, for that matter) getting more games would help Alves. It would make sure he doesn't get too comfortable with his starting spot. He's been great at times recently, but WAY too inconsistent. Montoya getting more games would really help this issue IMO.

F

Flavia

That might be true, and as I've said before, if that's the case, if it's a disciplinary problem of some sort, then I support the decision. But if it's not, then I honestly don't know what to say. It would be preposterous. No official statement was ever given about the situation, so I'm still inclined to think that it's just the staff's stubbornness we've been witnessing for a while.
I don't think the staff would make public if Montoya was having disciplinary issues.

Stric

Of course not, whether it was Montoya or anyone else. I'm just saying, since we don't have any authentic info on this, I'm inclined to believe that this is about the same type of stubborn mindset that also resulted in not playing Bartra, playing Iniesta on the left wing, playing Alexis and Pedro when they're off form, buying/playing DMs as CBs, not rotating, etc.

Home of Barca Fans