Martin Montoya

Well said, Bojan. That's a good description. For some reason, I just trust Montoya whenever I see him with the ball or trying to recover one. It's incredible that Alves has been playing the last billion games while Montoya was sitting on the stands up until recently. He really deserves more minutes, in his main position, even if it's just to rest Alves.

I think the reason Montoya hasn't played that much is because Tito didn't want to rest Alves or think he needed to. After all, the dude does have crazy stamina.

Still think Montoya should get more playing time, especially in his natural position.

Birdy

His way of playing looks mature as if he's playing for years for the first team.
If he played in his natural position he'd look even better but I am glad we can rely on him as a solid backup for the left side as well.
I think its high time Tito tests him as a CB next to Pique for the Bayern games..

SwiftGuyver

Future RB for us and Spain and one of the if not the best RB in the world over the next 10 years...

I'd like to see him getting picked ahead of Alves from next season onwards tbh...

dostoevskij

if he plays in the remaining 7 la liga games, and i think he will play almost all of them, he will have 19 appearances in the league this season!!! Last season 7, they year before 2. It will be even more next season i suppose.

Stric

I'd love to see it, but what makes you think he'll play almost all of the remaining Liga games? Surely the staff will want to rest Alba at some point, but I can't see that happening that many times in a row. Alves hasn't been rested since who knows when. Besides, Adriano is also back from injury. And I really wish Montoya would get some time in his own position.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Future RB for us and Spain and one of the if not the best RB in the world over the next 10 years...

I'd like to see him getting picked ahead of Alves from next season onwards tbh...

As a RB, I'm not sure if he'll be starting for Spain for the next 10 years. Here at Barca he is valuable due to his great defensive strengths and overall composure but Spain doesn't have a big defensive problem, so VDB is more open to playing attacking fullbacks which he even prefers. Montoya doesn't have that many attacking strengths as of yet AND there is a HUGE amount of competition for the RB spot. As of now the options for future RB are Carvajal, Mallo, Montoya, Manquillo, and even Bellerin. All of them are top notch and have world class potential so it's not assured that Montoya will be starting for Spain as a RB. If he makes a switch to CB and performs well there (like Puyol), then I'd say it's much more likely.

Irish_Cules

I think Montoya is pretty damn good goin forward. Obviously the defensive side of his game is his main strength but he has a habit of making timely runs down the right flank and is pretty good at goin by players when he has to.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I think Montoya is pretty damn good goin forward. Obviously the defensive side of his game is his main strength but he has a habit of making timely runs down the right flank and is pretty good at goin by players when he has to.

Trust me I know that he's great going forward as well. It's just that the competition for RB is so high in the future that his attacking skills don't match up to say Bellerin, Azpilicueta, or Carvajal. Montoya has a good chance but he's on par with the others so it's rash to say he's GUARANTEED a starting spot for Spain, because that is far from true.

Stric

Montoya doesn't go forward much, but when he does, he's really really good. He's good enough to wonder why he doesn't do it more often, which is just another sign of his maturity as a player.

I think he'll likely be the next RB starter for Spain. They don't use Arbeloa much for attacking either, so I don't see a reason why Montoya wouldn't be a good fit there afterwards. He is perfect for their back four.

B

beautifulgame

Arbeloa is the weakest link in the squad and everyone including Arbeloa, knows it. His best attribute is not messing up too much because he knows his boundaries, which is very important and is why he plays at all.

Montoya will make Spain even stronger when he becomes the starter.

Irish_Cules

Trust me I know that he's great going forward as well. It's just that the competition for RB is so high in the future that his attacking skills don't match up to say Bellerin, Azpilicueta, or Carvajal. Montoya has a good chance but he's on par with the others so it's rash to say he's GUARANTEED a starting spot for Spain, because that is far from true.

There will be a lot of competition, that's true. I think Montoya is favorite at the moment though. Once he is starting regularly for Barcelona he will be hard to look past. Azpilicueta will play much more in the short term though.

dostoevskij

I'd love to see it, but what makes you think he'll play almost all of the remaining Liga games? Surely the staff will want to rest Alba at some point, but I can't see that happening that many times in a row. Alves hasn't been rested since who knows when. Besides, Adriano is also back from injury. And I really wish Montoya would get some time in his own position.

i guess that Alves will be rested at some point, alba will play maybe a few of the 7 games, and Adriano wont play so much as LB or RB, as he is our only CB option, to rest Pique, als long as Masche and Puyol are not back ( if Adriano is not injured of course). So that makes a lot of space for Montoya to shine.

oz187

As a RB, I'm not sure if he'll be starting for Spain for the next 10 years. Here at Barca he is valuable due to his great defensive strengths and overall composure but Spain doesn't have a big defensive problem, so VDB is more open to playing attacking fullbacks which he even prefers.

That's incorrect. Del Bosque builds on a defensive foundation. Two DMs and only one attacking fullback; Jordi Alba. Montoya fits into the system perfectly, and playing at Barca(which is the heart of the Spain team) he's the natural choice to play at RB for Spain.

Home of Barca Fans