Martin Montoya

abual3bed1

Sure. Montoya showed quality since day 1. He should play way more than last season and I wish he plays the CL group matches.

Stric

Alves can still produce a bit more than Montoya.

You know what? I'm not even going to disagree with this. It's true and it's a fair point. I'm probably one of Montoya's biggest supporters around here and I'm always the first to say he should play ahead of Alves, but I agree. It's still true and arguing that Montoya is better than Alves is maybe a bit over the top, I'll admit. It's just that, considering who Daniel Alves is, and who Martin Montoya is, their respective reputation and their careers so far, this truth is a very sad truth. He may still be better than Montoya, but formerly "the world's best RB" being better than a youngster who got promoted to the first team a year ago isn't really something to brag about. He's not nearly as good as he should be.

Last edited:
Alves can still produce a bit more than Montoya. His runs and "when he sticks to defending" + linking up with Leo. All worth hanging on on Dani for a while longer.

Selling him wouldn't be a good idea (not enough time to find a replacement, etc), but Montoya should start IMO (especially considering that the other fullback is Alba). Even if Alves is a slightly better player, Montoya's better defensively.

Last edited:

Gohan

Super Saiyan
Looked poor in pre-season, but we should give him as much as play time possible.
Development/Playing time at this stage of his career is crucial.

Co0ter

I love Dani but he hasnt been nearly as effective since Messi went to false 9...and thats been a while. Alba is the future concerning wingback, and a proper defensive RB would make us the strongest- and that isnt Montoya quite yet. A player like Mathieu but as RB would have been ideal.

serghei

Looked poor in pre-season, but we should give him as much as play time possible.
Development/Playing time at this stage of his career is crucial.

Sure, let him play vs Elche, Zaragoza, Granada. Against top teams he's a liability, just like Bartra is. They both can be very clumsy in defence and I mean VERY clumsy.

mixer

They are both out of form, but Dani's advantage is that he's much more experienced.

Alves should be the first choice, at the moment.

CatalinR10

Orobitg (agent Montoya): "Inter and Napoli have been in touch, but he will stay and the renewal talks start next week." [sussidiario]

Orobitg (agent Montoya): "He feels the club believes in him. Martin is the back-up for Alves and he'll work hard to convince the new coach."

The contract renewal of right back Martin Montoya, now contract until 2014, will include higher salary and higher buyout fee, now 20M. [as]

pepi

barcastuff ‏@barcastuff 2m
Barcelona have rejected a second formal offer from Italian club Napoli for right back Martin Montoya (20). Player also wants to stay [sport]

PacoBJuarez

I'm glad to hear that, but seriously, what's going on with him this year so far? He wasn't even making matchday squads until today, let alone getting out on the pitch.

Theconomist

I'm glad to hear that, but seriously, what's going on with him this year so far? He wasn't even making matchday squads until today, let alone getting out on the pitch.

Maybe this guy is simply not good enough.
I mean Tito was obssesed with his 100 points so it was the same XI over and over but Tata seems to be open minded yet Montoya is still not playing.

Cule4life

The Culest
Maybe this guy is simply not good enough.
I mean Tito was obssesed with his 100 points so it was the same XI over and over but Tata seems to be open minded yet Montoya is still not playing.

Why do they not let him go then? Seems Tata is too comfortable with the current squad and hesitant to make changes

Home of Barca Fans