Matthijs de Ligt

Newcomer

Still a step up from Eredivisie no doubt, at least it is one of the big 5 leagues in Europe.

From what both Koeman and De Ligt said during the latest interview it looks like the justification that will be used for the move to PSG will be: "They are the place where I will be having a lot of minutes", of course they won't mention the fact that PSG doubled our offer.

Lol step back from going from a league where being champion doesn't even give you a direct spot to Champions League...

Sometimes, we can read great humoristic things in here. Thank you to talk some sense Luftstalag.

serghei

Still a step up from Eredivisie no doubt, at least it is one of the big 5 leagues in Europe.

From what both Koeman and De Ligt said during the latest interview it looks like the justification that will be used for the move to PSG will be: "They are the place where I will be having a lot of minutes", of course they won't mention the fact that PSG doubled our offer.

It is no doubt. But he'd be moving from the 6th best to the 5th best, which is a pretty bad move money aside.

He should aim higher.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
It is no doubt. But he'd be moving from the 6th best to the 5th best, which is a pretty bad move money aside.

He should aim higher.

Perhaps he thinks he will either help PSG win a CL and make it greater or he will go to another team later, IF PSG lets him.

FC433

Exactly right. We also don't know how much is going to be paid out in the form of bonuses. If we assume De Jong reaches all his bonuses his contract could be 16m (10m + 6m) as well. At first some outlets were reporting he was going to earn 16m as his fixed salary which obviously turned out to be false. The situation will be clearer soon.

I agree. I do not believe one bit that he is going to earn 15m net at PSG because KM is earing about 11m net. It is quite difficult to know the exact numbers, but I assume FCB is offering 5m net while PSG 7.5m to 8m net + starting spot + the 10m Raiola wants.

ebc_99

Barca is the only move that makes footballing sense, PSG will be better financially though. Whatever his decision, I think that we will find out a little bit about him, if he goes to PSG then money is the reason and he will have let Raolia persuade him which is not a good sign. If he goes to Barca then he has put football first and not listened to Raolia that says to me that he is his own man which bodes well for his future. I still think he will be at Barca, this feels just like the De Jong situation.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
No.
De Ligt is going to Barcelona since the beginning.

Those are just victims of the fake hope the media spread.

When they read Leonardo will work to make him come, they think Leonardo is finalizing a deal.
Of course, Leonardo works for it, but everyone else does. It is hardly news of a positive outcome.

De Jong is at Barcelona and that alone is enough to know how it will end.

Again I think this is different from the De Jong case. In De Jong's case, we don't know what or how much PSG offered to Ajax and De Jong personally. De Jong might have chosen us because we offered more than PSG or might not. Yes De Jong was tempted by Barca because of money but still the fact that he is a Barca fan helped.

With De Ligt who is NOT a Barca fan, the combination of playing time and money would be the paramount factor deciding where to go. So if we believe the reports that PSG doubled what we offer and since you guys do guarantee a lot more playing time than we do, it makes sense for him that he goes to PSG.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
There is no way De Jong/De Ligt will be paid more than Pique. Why would they be? That would have rocked the dressing room.

FC433

There is no way De Jong/De Ligt will be paid more than Pique. Why would they be? That would rocked the dressing room.

Gerard Pique became the latest Barcelona player to sign a contract extension. Pique turns 31 next month and was due to complete his contract in the summer of next year. The contract extension takes the Spain international through until June 2022.

No salary details were released but a buyout clause of $600M was confirmed by the team.

In the 2017 rankings of the highest paid soccer players in the world, Forbes placed Pique 19th with a salary of $14.7M and endorsement earnings of $3M.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbym...-his-role-for-barca-has-changed/#15e9ec765be9

14m seems reasonable to me. What do you think?

Newcomer

Barca is the only move that makes footballing sense, PSG will be better financially though. Whatever his decision, I think that we will find out a little bit about him, if he goes to PSG then money is the reason and he will have let Raolia persuade him which is not a good sign. If he goes to Barca then he has put football first and not listened to Raolia that says to me that he is his own man which bodes well for his future. I still think he will be at Barca, this feels just like the De Jong situation.

Bartomeu went to Amsterdam to do a last second gazump.
Even the transfer fee quoted is bigger than the figures quoted for PSG before..
But it doesn't matter because the player likes Barcelona more.
It seems so obvious to me that with de Jong there, Barca will get de Ligt too.

You should be relaxed, it was a non story from the start.

Home of Barca Fans