Mavericky Puig

fergus90

What politics is he playing? Why would he be doing that?

He didnt state Puig was not in plans as soon as arrived either.

He did say before the gamper that it was decided that Alena and Puig should go on loan because they are young and need to play. Which is true.

JamDav1982

He did say before the gamper that it was decided that Alena and Puig should go on loan because they are young and need to play. Which is true.

That was not as soon as he had arrived is the point.

That suggests arrived and without ever seeing him at all in training or games just binned him when not quite as dramatic as that.

I dont get what 'political game' Koeman is playing by rejecting Puig and what is to be gained when if anything the political move to gain favour would be to play him as he has a fair fan base despite not all that much in first team.

Birdy

Yep, the whole 'Koeman has sth personal with him' line sounds all the more fishy.
What personal?
If he does not like him, there must be reasons for that, and Koeman's last reply at the press conference stated very clearly what the reasons are.

Plus, if different reporters from different orientations all confirm that Puig is cocky in the dressing room, I don't think a media conspiracy against him is more likely than it being the truth.

Gnidrologist

Low work ethic confirmed!

Tbf, I don't see this statement and this practice as negative.
When you are 20 and your best achievement is something you did with Barca B, you have no excuse to be cocky and downplay training at the same time (no matter how much talented you are).
He should learn some lessons, otherwise no Barca future for him
Lol at guys who think that this is just an agenda from media against poor Riki.

Deja vu of Dembele's and Arthur's media stories are coming back.

It's not him.
It's the coach, media and teammates.
The evidence of agenda is there though. Whenever he gets even some garbage minute chances among makeshift team in second halves, when team doesn't even play coherently anymore, he has shown undeniable class and an improvement.
He also looked great last year under Setien, who cucked out in the end and didn't play him in CL (big mistake).
Fact of the matter is, Puig has been so good that not giving him more opportunities to prove whether he warrants the hype or not, is criminal from sporting perspective.

So there's choice for you quick to judge Puig from these dubious "leaks". Either you prefer your team look more dynamic, youthful and dangerous, which it usually becomes with Puig in te line up, or you prefer to lick wet farts from Cowmans ass crack, because you get wet from his "muh auoritah" approach to vulnerable youth, while deep throating poorly performing veterans or regular bases the same way Retardo and Cuckien did.
Which way, cule man?

fergus90

That was not as soon as he had arrived is the point.

That suggests arrived and without ever seeing him at all in training or games just binned him when not quite as dramatic as that.

I dont get what 'political game' Koeman is playing by rejecting Puig and what is to be gained when if anything the political move to gain favour would be to play him as he has a fair fan base despite not all that much in first team.

I don't think there is anything political, I just think he simply doesn't rate him that much and people don't buy the reasoning so they keep asking him the same questions. I think Koeman did have a 4-3-2-1 in my prior to joining and of course wanted Coutinho back as we know.

However, it's easy for fans on a forum to say play x,y and z but when there are big names and players who have been around the block, it's tough to drop them or not believe in their quality. I think also because Barca hasn't been a top,top team for a while people are just generally disgruntled following them and you get a lot of glory hunters with that, expecting the second coming of Pep's Barca with La Masia and because Puig is from the quarry people harbour that hope.

I also think people recognise the spark Puig has provided when he's played. It's not like he's been like Arthur who was blowing out of his arse after 15 minutes and played everything safe yet still was getting called the next Xavi.

99% of managers getting the Barca job tomorrow would start Griezmann,Coutinho, De Jong, Busquets etc even if they hadn't watched a Barcelona game in 4 years.

Ultimately if he was dropping shitty performances, people wouldnt want him playing. However if Pedri keeps up this performances, Puig will soon be forgotten about, such is the nature of football and its fans.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

The evidence of agenda is there though. Whenever he gets even some garbage minute chances among makeshift team in second halves, when team doesn't even play coherently anymore, he has shown undeniable class and an improvement.
He also looked great last year under Setien, who cucked out in the end and didn't play him in CL (big mistake).
Fact of the matter is, Puig has been so good that not giving him more opportunities to prove whether he warrants the hype or not, is criminal from sporting perspective.

So there's choice for you quick to judge Puig from these dubious "leaks". Either you prefer your team look more dynamic, youthful and dangerous, which it usually becomes with Puig in te line up, or you prefer to lick wet farts from Cowmans ass crack, because you get wet from his "muh auoritah" approach to vulnerable youth, while deep throating poorly performing veterans or regular bases the same way Retardo and Cuckien did.
Which way, cule man?

The agenda is that he doesnt rate him highly enough from what he sees in training he has just said as much.

Either way Puig should have went on loan. Becoming the latest martyr for Barca fans is doing him no favours.

Laplacian

Lol at guys who think that this is just an agenda from media against poor Riki.

Deja vu of Dembele's and Arthur's media stories are coming back.

It's not him.
It's the coach, media and teammates.

I don't think you should be "lol'ing" when you literally support players that haven't performed consistently for over 2 years. Coutinho can't pass, dribble, or shoot because he's not in his 25 yards away from goal, facing North East under the Northern Star, in 20.5 degree celsius weather, with the right type of humidity, sunlight, and noise pollution because those are the perfect conditions and position for him to perform above a below average level. Oh, and because of Messi.

Also notice how the argument is no longer "Puig can't perform, doesn't fit the system, is too small" from you, it's just about his attitude. The reason being because despite he's completely lack of minutes, he has still performed beyond your expectations and has outperformed your beloved Coutinho. Instead of admitting fault you'll just move on to another criteria of "critique", each succeeding one being harder to prove.

At least with Arthur (someone I never argued for, or at least rarely) and Dembele (someone I've given up on multiple times) we were arguing about reasons behind their underperformances during matches . With Riqui, how exactly is he underperforming relative to the team's ability and in general? In both cases it is above our expectations and in some beyond the current level displayed by the starters. It's only natural some users will contest his lack of play time.

With Dembele, rumors came before his underperformances and subsequent benchings. With Arthur his lack of forward play was abundantly noted on the forum. With Riqui Puig there was nothing, and suddenly after his impressive cameos the attitude reports come out.

If you believe Koeman has a habit of favoring some players over others for petty reasons (which he has a history of doing to multiple players, that is a fact), and if you believe the situation applies to Riqui Puig (who was literally one of our best players near the end of last season, and either performs well or on average and NEVER badly during his cameos), is it not reasonable to assume Koeman's camp decided to leaked info in order to justify his lack of play time because he understood he would come under pressure for not playing DESPITE his performances? I don't see how this "Lol" worthy.

Also before you reply remember, the only reason we're arguing over his work ethic and attitude is because you and everyone else can no longer contest against his lack of ability (whether due to talent, Koemans system, and Puig's body) on the pitch relative to the options we currently have. Arguing on this point, you and Koeman have unwittingly conceded on the former.

Last edited:

Birdy

Which way, cule man?

1) There are not dubious anymore, cauz it's not just one leak from one journalist. There are multiple from many different people and presses. No reason to be a conspiracy theorist here.

2) Class was never denied. At least by me. And I would love to see a youthful Barca team that would utilize Puig as well.
But class is not enough IMO if you don't have any work ethic.
Being an entitled kid at the age of 20 with 0 achievements in your career just because you have confidence in your talent is a bad bad sign.
Messi and Amigos became entitled (which is always bad) but after they worked their asses off to improve in every domain, they didn't just rely on their bare talent and confidence.
Look at Pedri who is humble. I would pick that attitude any day.

JamDav1982

I don't think you should be "lol'ing" when you literally support players that haven't performed consistently for over 2 years. Coutinho can't pass, dribble, or shoot because he's not in his 25 yards away from goal, facing North East under the Northern Star, in 20.5 degree celsius weather, with the right type of humidity, sunlight, and noise pollution because those are the perfect conditions and position for him to perform above a below average level. Oh, and because of Messi.

Also notice how the argument is no longer "Puig can't perform, doesn't fit the system, is too small" from you, it's just about his attitude. The reason being because despite he's completely lack of minutes, he has still performed beyond your expectations and has outperformed your beloved Coutinho. Instead of admitting fault you'll just move on to another criteria of "critique", each succeeding one being harder to prove.

At least with Arthur (someone I never argued for, or at least rarely) and Dembele (someone I've given up on multiple times) we were arguing about reasons behind their underperformances during matches . With Riqui, how exactly is he underperforming relative to the team's ability and in general? In both cases it is above our expectations and in some beyond the current level displayed by the starters. It's only natural some users will contest his lack of play time.

With Dembele, rumors came before his underperformances and subsequent benchings. With Arthur his lack of forward play was abundantly noted on the forum. With Riqui Puig there was nothing, and suddenly after his impressive cameos the attitude reports come out.

If you believe Koeman has a habit of favoring some players over others for petty reasons (which he has a history, that is a fact), and if you believe the situation applies to Riqui Puig (who was literally one of our best players near the end of last season, and either performs well or on average and NEVER badly during his cameos), is it not reasonable to assume Koeman's camp decided to leaked info in order to justify his lack of play time because he understood he would come under pressure for not playing DESPITE his performances? I don't see how this "Lol" worthy.

Also before you reply remember, the only reason we're arguing over his work ethic and attitude is because you and everyone else can no longer contest against his lack of ability (whether due to talent, Koemans system, and Puig's body) on the pitch relative to the options we currently. Arguing on this point, you and Koeman have unwittingly conceded on the former.

All coaches favour some players over others based on what they see every day nothing unique to Koeman.

He seems pissed off at having to even address questions about Puig and doesnt think it should be such an issue he is not playing. Unlikely he leaks information that just makes all that worse for him.

Saying a player is not showing the right attitude is not stating has the ability either. It is not a concession of anything.

Last edited:

Birdy

If you believe Koeman has a habit of favoring some players over others for petty reasons (which he has a history of doing to multiple players, that is a fact), and if you believe the situation applies to Riqui Puig (who was literally one of our best players near the end of last season, and either performs well or on average and NEVER badly during his cameos), is it not reasonable to assume Koeman's camp decided to leaked info in order to justify his lack of play time because he understood he would come under pressure for not playing DESPITE his performances? I don't see how this "Lol" worthy.

'Koeman's camp'?
You seriously believe Koeman has that much power in media that you can even talk about a 'camp'?
And that camp will also include Guillem Ballague and Side Rodriquez?

And all that would start from some petty reason Koeman would have not to play him?

C'mon!

Last edited:

fergus90

The 'Koeman's camp'?
You seriously believe Koeman has that much power in media that you can even talk about a 'camp'?
And that camp will also include Guillem Ballague and Side Rodriquez?

And all that would start from some petty reason Koeman would have not to play him?

C'mon!

Unrelated but Balague talks bollocks 99% of the time, he's a twitter rumour merchant.

JamDav1982

Fairly sure Balague said he had not heard the rumours from anyone bar what had been repeated by others anyway.

Never claimed to have any inside knowledge on that dont think.

fergus90

I do quite like Balague but if he's ever reporting news on an exciting signing or whatever, take it with a pinch of salt. Him and Graham Hunter on Revista De la Liga was a good show.

Birdy

Even if he talks bollocks (which he does not), how does that show any relation to Koeman and his wishes?

Home of Barca Fans