Mavericky Puig

Joan

man, Valverde didn't trust any youngsters, NOT even Ansu Fati. It happens that Suarez and Demeble were injured at the time, and we just signed the Grease guy. It was pure luck. Even Barca B manager was surprised to see EV present in the youth training and said it was his first visit in two and half years. :lol:

To trust a youngster is against his cult rules. Trust me, I read your cult's Quran.

The same EV who promoted Ansu straight from U19 team while having other, older options at Barca B? Also, interesting no youngster EV allegedly neglected, made it after "Retardo" left. Mighty Malcom, Marlon, Miranda, Mina, Todibo.. it goes on.

Are you talking about the time EV attended B team matches after other first team coaches failed to do so in 2 and a half years? Not that I think it means much.. but to each its own

Last edited:

behindbrowneyes

I like how Puig plays, but unless someone watches Barca train everyday, none of us can say if Koeman is lying or not. Dembele received similar criticism, but instead of denying it most of the fans immediately believed it. Puig is receiving the unknown special treatment from the fan. He surely played good when he was given chances, but it is reasonable that coaches choose the one who trains well.

Here is what Koeman said recently about Ansu and Pedri:
It?s always nice to talk about youngsters. They deserve it, but they are also players that still have a lot to learn. But what Ansu and Pedri have done aged just 17 or 18 in such a big team as Bar?a is something very big. Pedri has come from Las Palmas very young and is already playing games against teams like Madrid and Juventus, and doing so fantastically. It's important for a club to have youngsters and for them to get chances. You need to switch the team around little by little. You still need the older players but they won?t be around forever and you need to plan changes in good time, calmly. Pedri has earned his place in games because of his work in training. He has shown me what a good player he is and that he is able to play in a team like Barcelona".

...and about Araujo
Although he is a young player, he is so, so strong. He is tall, which is something important for a CB. He's quick and has great character. There is still room for improvement with the ball and and also when providing an option to receive the ball, but he is someone who's always working hard in training. He has a great future.

When it comes to the system, Koeman is not exactly a Cruyffista, but he is still a believer of the Dutch/Cruyff philosophy. You play how you train. If you don?t train hard enough, your performance will eventually suffer. Something we could see in these last few years against strong opposition. One of Barca's main issues was that they did not train hard enough. He's trying to change the culture back to the way it was under Cruyff, Pep or Lucho.

Koeman is not afraid to play young players. He always praises them for their performances, but is not afraid to criticize them or tell them what they need to improve. Players better listen to this, because that's where they need to grow which will make them eventually a better player. Now you can ignore everything I wrote because it doesn't fit your narrative, but fact is Koeman publicly praised Ansu, Pedri and Araujo for their hard work in training. On Puig, he said:
"In that position on the field (the midfield), there is a lot of competition, but perhaps in training he doesn't do enough to make the coach change his way of thinking. Nowadays, not everything is about quality, other things are also needed", he assured.

He intoned these words after being asked about the footballer and Araujo: "We are talking about different players. Maybe Riqui Puig needs to be more physical, but I like people who work every day to improve. And who take with both hands all the options they have to improve things".

The coach will never be everyone's darling. Neither in the fanbase nor in the squad. Just think of Eto`o and Pep. Let's forget for a single moment that there are some players from Koeman's past who don't like him and criticized him. Just read what he said about some youngsters and see what all of the liked ones have in common. "Work in training". Put one and one together.

Let's have a look on which players not starting, Koeman still prefers over Puig. Be it Pjanic, be it Coutinho, be it Alena. Now imagine Pjanic and Coutinho taking some freekicks/corners while Alena practices crosses. Puig, on the other hand, leaves the pitch, because the official part of the training session is over. What message would Koeman send to Coutinho, Pjanic or hard-working players, who start every game if he'd sub Puig instead of Coutinho or Pjanic? It would be poison to the work ethic Koeman has introduced in the last few months.

Last edited:

Joan

Conveniently, the one who did rate him is a no one. That no one made Las Palmas and Betis one of the best teams to watch in Spain.
Congrats to him.

In terms of coaching a big team, coping with pressure, controlling the locker room... he really is a nobody who crumpled.

The worst coach we've seen in a while.

soul24rage

As much as I disagree with some EV's choices, I have to commend EV for trusting Ansu over others (I think Bob was on the bench vs Valencia at home in 19/20)

serghei

As much as I disagree with some EV's choices, I have to commend EV for trusting Ansu over others (I think Bob was on the bench vs Valencia at home in 19/20)

And Araujo as well.

Personally, I have a higher opinion about EV than I had 1 year ago.

serghei

Congrats to him.

In terms of coaching a big team, coping with pressure, controlling the locker room... he really is a nobody who crumpled.

The worst coach we've seen in a while.

He was set for failure, and everyone could see it. I bet he knew it as well but had nothing else to lose. Being the Barca manager, even in a shit situation with conflicts in the team was too much to pass.

Setien is a good manager. Proved it at Las Palmas and Betis.

khaled_a_d

He was set for failure, and everyone could see it. I bet he knew it as well but had nothing else to lose. Being the Barca manager, even in a shit situation with conflicts in the team was too much to pass.

Good manager has to be put in context.
Las Palmas had interesting and entertaining team that failed to cope with Liga pressure until they brought in Setien. And he made necessary adjustments for them to succeed.
Had mixed , but mostly positive, effect in Betis, but it was clear that this is his level at best.

Same can be said on coaches like Sampaoli, Paco J?mez , Tata and the list goes on.
Good coaches, but for different levels.

George_Costanza

The same EV who promoted Ansu straight from U19 team while having other, older options at Barca B? Also, interesting no youngster EV allegedly neglected, made it after "Retardo" left. Mighty Malcom, Marlon, Miranda, Mina, Todibo.. it goes on.

Are you talking about the time EV attended B team matches after other first team coaches failed to do so in 2 and a half years? Not that I think it means much.. but to each its own

What's your point? Obviously Fati is better than other "older" Barca B players and was personally recommended by Pimienta. EV tried both Fati and Carles Perez and obviously everyone was impressed with Fati, just like everyone is impressed with Puig too. The point is Fati would have never got the chance if it wasn't for the circumstances at the time as I explained. Other players you have mentioned didn't get the proper chances because they were extra to requirements and Valverde is not in the business of developing young players. He is not Pep or Klopp that's for sure.

JamDav1982

What's your point? Obviously Fati is better than other "older" Barca B players and was personally recommended by Pimienta. EV tried both Fati and Carles Perez and obviously everyone was impressed with Fati, just like everyone is impressed with Puig too. The point is Fati would have never got the chance if it wasn't for the circumstances at the time as I explained. Other players you have mentioned didn't get the proper chances because they were extra to requirements and Valverde is not in the business of developing young players. He is not Pep or Klopp that's for sure.

The point is Fati impressed EV when trained with first team. Impressed when played and got chances from there.

Lots of young players get first chances with injuries.

It is clear from there EV rated him and continued to use him and even second game in subbed him at half time to try and make a difference.

Fati was about the first young player he rated highly enough. Pep nor Klopp give youngsters a game for sake of it. Only if they rate them.

xXKonan

I'm in the give Riqui a chance brigade but at the same time, is it really that hard to believe maybe Puig is not doing enough in training that pleases Koeman?

This isn't the first time we see this actually happen. Early on in Seiten's reign Puig was training with the first team and got selected in match squads but was later dropped with rumors that Setien wasn't happy with how Puig was doing in training and he would later get another chance and stepped it up and you know the rest.

A loan would do him some good at this time. I mean he's 21-years old now if he thinks he deserves a chance here he needs to go out for his own good and prove it.

serghei

I'm in the give Riqui a chance brigade but at the same time, is it really that hard to believe maybe Puig is not doing enough in training that pleases Koeman?

This isn't the first time we see this actually happen. Early on in Seiten's reign Puig was training with the first team and got selected in match squads but was later dropped with rumors that Setien wasn't happy with how Puig was doing in training and he would later get another chance and stepped it up and you know the rest.

A loan would do him some good at this time. I mean he's 21-years old now if he thinks he deserves a chance here he needs to go out for his own good and prove it.

It's easy to lose an edge in training if you see the manager ignores you. This is not as easy as it sounds. Players aren't robots, and when you work hard and don't get chances it's easy to lose a bit of motivation.

Loan is best.

vegitot

Setien is the next Cruyff to this guy. Next Cruyff yet lost to almighty Osasuna.

George_Costanza

QS dropped both Puig and Fati so whatever you heard should apply to Fati too? I can't find any source that confirm what you said. This is what I found about Puig's training: "I already congratulated him on his performance, he was very connected and did many things well. It was a shame that he did not score. He is training very well and has a very good attitude."

I'm surprised some could actually believe Cowman's narrative knowing his past history with Valencia and Everton.

This is part of an article talks about his lack of man-management time at Valencia: "Koeman went to extreme measures to stamp his authority.

Three key players—Santiago Canizares, David Albelda, and Miguel Angel Angulo—were all told to look for different clubs, as they would no longer be featured in Koeman's plans. Claiming that the trio had become detrimental to the club, the Dutch manager has been looking for ways to off-load them as early as the January transfer window... Koeman's actions have naturally brought about great controversy and disarray to the storied club. Fans and media are continuing to speculate and question the motives behind the move. While it was a brave decision by Koeman, one has to wonder whether the club really has benefited by losing three talented individuals."

JamDav1982

Wish Koeman was more like that with the older players in Barca squad and Busi/Pique etc were told time is up as well. Decent enough start though with Raki, Vidal and Suarez out and more trust put in younger players than even since Peps time.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans