Mavericky Puig

Raketa10

No hype, we all watched how impressive Puig is when he had the chance to play. What you said would be true if we didn't see him play.

Some of you have the memory of jellyfish and just too negative.

Some of you see only good stuff and tend to forget games where he was completely invisible. According to some people here he was impressive every single time he played and that's bullshit. I have nothing against the kid and I hope he gets his chance but Koeman is not the first manager that doesn't think highly about Puig. Managers spent almost every single day with players, they see them train every single day so they are much more aware of the players qualities and flaws than we are. How can we know for sure that he is training well? Maybe he has fitness issues or maybe he doesn't respect managers requests.

I don't believe Xavi said that Puig would be a starter an even if he did I doubt he knows him well. Xavi can see things only through TV like we all can. It's a bit irresponsible thing to say if true.

Last edited:

fergus90

Some of you see only good stuff and tend to forget games where he was completely invisible. According to some people here he was impressive every single time he played and that's bullshit. I have nothing against the kid and I hope he gets his chance but Koeman is not the first manager that doesn't think highly about Puig. Managers spent almost every single day with players, they see them train every single day so they are much more aware of the players qualities and flaws than we are. How can we know for sure that he is training well? Maybe he has fitness issues or maybe he doesn't respect managers requests.

I don't believe Xavi said that Puig would be a starter an even if he did I doubt he knows him well. Xavi can see things only through TV like we all can. It's a bit irresponsible thing to say if true.

What games has he been completely invisible in recent times? Since his impressive cameo against Juve he's been brought on in the 89th minute against Eibar when we were drawing 1-1 and that's it.

Raketa10

What games has he been completely invisible in recent times? Since his impressive cameo against Juve he's been brought on in the 89th minute against Eibar when we were drawing 1-1 and that's it.

Maybe there is a reason for that. Maybe our manager, who is with our team every single day knows more about Puig than we do. Why no one ever considers possibility that there is some kind of a problem with Puig?

Last edited:

i_bleed_blaugrana

https://twitter.com/barcacentre/status/1138802868972953602?s=21

I think where most fans of Puig are justified is when they say the sample size is too small. Overall, he has not had a lot of samples to evaluate where he has played more than 20 mins. While there are a couple of cameos where his impact was minimal, I would argue that he has had more appearances where he has had an impact.

He got good looks under Setien and despite the chaos of that situation, he truly showed quality. Irrespective of if he is good/bad, Koeman is right/wrong, beyond all of this, for too long this club has not properly integrated our academy prospects. Ansu really is an exception to the rule recently but he proves what can reaped when you actually give them a proper look.

No one I think is saying Puig is a guarantee to succeed and he certainly has question marks over his physicality and attitude. But we need a proper look at him and overly bashing him just to fit a narrative misses the bigger picture of the problem right now.

Raketa10

https://twitter.com/barcacentre/status/1138802868972953602?s=21

I think where most fans of Puig are justified is when they say the sample size is too small. Overall, he has not had a lot of samples to evaluate where he has played more than 20 mins. While there are a couple of cameos where his impact was minimal, I would argue that he has had more appearances where he has had an impact.

He got good looks under Setien and despite the chaos of that situation, he truly showed quality. Irrespective of if he is good/bad, Koeman is right/wrong, beyond all of this, for too long this club has not properly integrated our academy prospects. Ansu really is an exception to the rule recently but he proves what can reaped when you actually give them a proper look.

No one I think is saying Puig is a guarantee to succeed and he certainly has question marks over his physicality and attitude. But we need a proper look at him and overly bashing him just to fit a narrative misses the bigger picture of the problem right now.

I agree but let's be fair here. Koeman has no problem playing youngsters or giving them opportunities week in week out. Puig is basically the only one not getting minutes so there must be a reason for that.

fergus90

Maybe there is a reason for that. Maybe our manager, who is with our team every single day knows more about Puig than we do. Why no one ever considers possibility that there is some kind of a problem with Puig?

All I'm saying is, on the pitch he has done very well many more times than he has been invisible and he hasn't exactly had a bundle of chances. I for one moment never thought Koeman had a vendetta and don't care for all the media gossip from either side, all that brings is people doing gymnastics over who's the good/bad buy in the situation.

I just saw was a manager telling a player that he needs to work harder to convince him he deserves more playing time, especially if he isn't convinced by what he brings, nothing more than that.

It's a difficult one because there have been moments in games where we ended up dropping points, where his skillset would have changed the dynamic of the game. Ultimately you can only really judge at the end of the season after league positioning, performances etc determine whether the coach is right to stick with certain players and not others.

I just personally think based of his performances on the pitch, he has been unfortunate not to see many more minutes than he's got.

George_Costanza

Bro, Xavi is his mentor. Puig grow up spending his time at Xavi's house. His family and Xavi's family are close friends. Xavi asked him to move to Al Sadd last year. Anyway, this is not the subject.

Since you are very sure of your post, could you name the game(s) were Puig performed badly? I'm sure we saw him play well, and maybe few games he was invincible (not sure about that but I will give it to you), but did he have a very bad game? Remember now that we are NOT asking Cowman to make him a starter, just to give him a proper chance.

Now compare him to Busquets, why Busquets plays almost every game when the fact is he underperform, makes a lot of silly mistakes and a loss of concentration leading to conceding goals, can only play as a single pivot, can't partner with FDJ and actually they cancel out each other, very slow etc. the list can go on and on.

Could you answer the above?

JamDav1982

Bro, Xavi is his mentor. Puig grow up spending his time at Xavi's house. His family and Xavi's family are close friends. Xavi asked him to move to Al Sadd last year. Anyway, this is not the subject.

Since you are very sure of your post, could you name the game(s) were Puig performed badly? I'm sure we saw him play well, and maybe few games he was invincible (not sure about that but I will give it to you), but did he have a very bad game? Remember now that we are NOT asking Cowman to make him a starter, just to give him a proper chance.

Now compare him to Busquets, why Busquets plays almost every game when the fact is he underperform, makes a lot of silly mistakes and a loss of concentration leading to conceding goals, can only play as a single pivot, can't partner with FDJ and actually they cancel out each other, very slow etc. the list can go on and on.

Could you answer the above?

Busquets is done but I dont think that has much relation to Puig as he is not a DM. Has been false nine or more or less an AM in a free role in B team and that is where he has played when come on for Barca and did well also.

Puig is up against Pedri, Messi, Griezmann and Coutinho more than Busquets or Pjanic.

George_Costanza

Busquets is done but I dont think that has much relation to Puig as he is not a DM. Has been false nine or more or less an AM in a free role in B team and that is where he has played when come on for Barca and did well also.

Puig is up against Pedri, Messi, Griezmann and Coutinho more than Busquets or Pjanic.

You lack very srs reading comprehension. What you said has nothing to do with what we discussed. Sigh

JamDav1982

You lack very srs reading comprehension. What you said has nothing to do with what we discussed. Sigh

You lack spelling Dodie.

Busquets is not relevant to Puig then in straight swap but if want Barca to play with Puig/Pedri and FDJ he is the one who would be dropping out and dont think Koeman would put FDJ to DM.

It is relevant if want Puig in for Busquets and how midfield would then look as not a straight swap and have to then move others about.

Last edited:

Joan

If Xavi started him for any of the reasons above, should be fired on the spot.

JamDav1982

Exactly I said that last time it was made out that he and Xavi are close family friends. It is irrelevant.

Was claimed last time Xavi has said 'a number of times' Puig would be a starter... yet not one direct quote came forward but photos of Xavi hugging him as a child was used to deflect as if meant anything.

Same shit recycled in different arguments which has little to no relevance.

George_Costanza

Again, don't be like Jamdav who can't read, and take words out of context. The original poster said Xavi doesn't know Puig. My reply was he knows him at personal level. This is not a nepotism that managers like Valverde and now Cowman implemented.

Home of Barca Fans