Mavericky Puig

ajnotkeith

At 40 second mark would Pedri, Gavi, or even Busi ever do that one two three four with Messi? Of course not, only Xavi, Iniesta, or Puig would.

After watching several highlight vids I remember another thing probably annoys people, he baits defenders often to commit fouls on him the way Neymar was famous for, Iniesta too at times.

I actually think Xavi's subconsciously sabotaging Puig because he wants to remain king not ready for anyone to replicate his golden era talent or assume the spotlight. Let's be brutally honest here I think most here would agree Pedri and Gavi in their future prime will never have skill and performance equivalence of Xavi or Iniesta, and obviously Xavi can see this too. Hurts to see this as much for Xavi as Puig and not the first time I've seen goats turned coaches (in volleyball where my main area of expertise lies) sabotage the best players on their team.

Every manager since Puig has been at the first team has basically ignored him.

Either :
1) There is some football conspiracy against Riqui Puig from a higher power forcing Barca coaches not to like him

2) He just sucks as proven by his gametime over the seasons

Iniesta Ultra

Every manager since Puig has been at the first team has basically ignored him.

Either :
1) There is some football conspiracy against Riqui Puig from a higher power forcing Barca coaches not to like him

2) He just sucks as proven by his gametime over the seasons

3) scared coaches going with 'safe' choices to match average team IQ and regress from dna, less we forget brainless Adama, lucky Luuk, terrible Torres, dribble drabble Dembele

Such a travesty for Barca's future, if it takes two mids to get injured to correct this injustice I'm all for it.

Last edited:

iniestaGOAT

Even Moriba was preferred over Puig. Imagine that. And his career has gone downhill. Puig will end up in third division once he leaves barca.

ajnotkeith

3) scared coaches going with 'safe' choices to match average team IQ and regress from dna, less we forget brainless Adama, lucky Luuk, terrible Torres, dribble drabble Dembele

Such a travesty for Barca's future, if it takes two mids to get injured to correct this injustice I'm all for it.
Koeman put a 16 year old Gavi as a starter. I don't.think he's scared.

Xavi brought a 38 year old Alves back and started him. He probably isn't scared either.

The one who is scared is Riqui. Scared to leave the club and start in pasteurs new instead of warming the bench.

If he puts his mind to it, he could be a solid LaLiga stater but he needs to act now or risk falling behind even more in development.

mc_lovin

I guess Puig is well aware that as soon as he leaves to "prove" himself he's never coming back. He can't compete with our current talents, whether here or elsewhere to show his skill.

Iniesta Ultra

It just dawned on me fans are just like Xavi, they want Barca to remain a time capsule of history. Treating Barca hierarchically, there can only be one pinnacle and we should be happy to be on the downslope of it. Some deep psychological issues here amazing really.

Bobo32

At 40 second mark would Pedri, Gavi, or even Busi ever do that one two three four with Messi? Of course not, only Xavi, Iniesta, or Puig would.

After watching several highlight vids I remember another thing probably annoys people, he baits defenders often to commit fouls on him the way Neymar was famous for, Iniesta too at times.

I actually think Xavi's subconsciously sabotaging Puig because he wants to remain king not ready for anyone to replicate his golden era talent or assume the spotlight. Let's be brutally honest here I think most here would agree Pedri and Gavi in their future prime will never have skill and performance equivalence of Xavi or Iniesta, and obviously Xavi can see this too. Hurts to see this as much for Xavi as Puig and not the first time I've seen goats turned coaches (in volleyball where my main area of expertise lies) sabotage the best players on their team.
I don't believe in your theory, and I wonder if you do, but I really do think Xavi mistreats Puig, just as Koeman did.

My explanation: when he arrived in the middle of the season he didn't want to change too much too early with the team dynamics and so on, so he went along with Koemans choices pretty much. He disregarded Dest and Balde, that's pretty much his only decisions, together with promoting Abde, Jutgla and Ilias when no one else was around...

Puig got his chances though and I think he played very well. He got to be the scapegoat for the teams bad first half performance against Linares where the entire team was sleepy and terrible and barely won in the second half too. I think Puig made some silly mistakes in the first half, but he was still one of those who tried and seemed to be awake. Since that game, he has only gotten to warm up on the sideline once that I saw... It's six weeks ago.
In the other games he played when the other midfielders were out he was unarguably one of if not the best player on the pitch - I won't believe anyone who says he wasn't playing well for more than those 45 minutes where he made a few mistakes too many. Harsh to disregard a player for 45 minutes, but it's easy for a manager to believe he has to find the players to count on, and Xavi doesn't believe in Puig.

It is also true that Xavi sees the potential of Gavi, Nico, Pedri, just as everybody else does, and he believes in Frenkie too (and he is right to go for a player with that potential, reputation and also wage), midfield is stacked, and it can be good to have a bit of clarity and not mess around too much.

Very nice of you to bring the video to this thread. Yes the situation you write about was magic, and so many more of the clips were. He is that kind of player like Busquets, Messi, Thiago, even Ronaldinho, who can seem to bend spacetime matrix-like with one magic touch or feint. I think Gavi and Pedri are too but to a smaller degree, but they are also a bit more mature and maybe secure to have on the midfield. Remember that Xavi himself was playing VERY securely and patiently, but with a flawless vision and technique - Pedri and Gavi see a lot less than Xavi did, but they are playing almost as securely. It is no wonder Xavi prefers very patient and predictable midfielders, who wait for the right moment, over a very proactive player like Puig.

The thing is, while Puig is very ambitious and proactive, and visibly always seeks progression and line breaking passes, he is still the player with the highest success percentage on his passes in the Barcelona squad. He is also the midfielder with the highest number of attempted passes per minute. I can't wait to see him play more when he leaves this club, but the tragic thing is we didn't get to see him play more together with Messi (and Busquets).

Last edited:

ajnotkeith

It just dawned on me fans are just like Xavi, they want Barca to remain a time capsule of history. Treating Barca hierarchically, there can only be one pinnacle and we should be happy to be on the downslope of it. Some deep psychological issues here amazing really.
I'm fine with trying to get back to our peak. I just think that Gavi and Pedri are... more equipped for that than Riqui.

Iniesta Ultra

Koeman put a 16 year old Gavi as a starter. I don't.think he's scared.

Xavi brought a 38 year old Alves back and started him. He probably isn't scared either.

The one who is scared is Riqui.

Riqui plays with the most freedom of any of our mids. Koeman had a personal grudge with Puig, Koeman also had nothing to lose since he already had lost everything when injuries required putting Gavi on. Only an idiot would be scared to bring Alves back with what we've had for his spot since he left. I've posted before Barca fucked up royally letting Iniesta go minimum one year too early as a starter and two or three years total.

Last edited:

Iniesta Ultra

The thing is, while Puig is very ambitious and proactive, and visibly always seeks progression and line breaking passes, he is still the player with the highest success percentage on his passes in the Barcelona squad. He is also the midfielder with the highest number of attempted passes per minute. I can't wait to see him play more when he leaves this club, but the tragic thing is we didn't get to see him play more together with Messi (and Busquets).

Are you not contradicting yourself? He has the highest pass completion % but that's less "secure" than Pedri or Gavi? Some of his tackles in the vid were Iniestaesque as well.

Bobo32

Are you not contradicting yourself? He has the highest pass completion % but that's less "secure" than Pedri or Gavi? Some of his tackles in the vid were Iniestaesque as well.

No I don't think so.
He looks for the progression more, even attempts it more, but he too will settle for the secure pass then when there is no way forward. He is more successful, but he does play with more risk and more ambitiously in buildup for example, Pedri and Gavi attempts less genious stuff from there but are satisfied with more predictable passes on the outside, but still fails a bit more. Their fails will be less obvious and maybe less dangerous (although they both failed very obviously and dangerously sometimes too).
Yes I think Puig is more involved, more ambitious, and more successful than them, as the statistics show, but Xavi wants more predictability maybe.

I don't want to compare Puig to Iniesta, I liked the comparison to Deco more. And while looking at the video you posted, I realized he is a bit like Aimar as well!

Iniesta Ultra

but Xavi wants more predictability maybe

Predictability surely won't win us any titles in the future and it implies dna isn't essential which couldn't be further from the truth. Auba's the first forward we've had in awhile that can mesh with proper dna besides Fati of course and Dembele when he needs to boost his market value. Depay, Luuk, Braithwaite, Torres, Adama, Jutgla, Abde are all stopgaps and we shouldn't be building our system even in the short term around stopgaps.

Home of Barca Fans