Mavericky Puig

Andresito

Staff member
I can't take you seriously if you think that about Iniesta's last season. Messi just has PSG blues but still doing great.

Good way to avoid the rest of my post which you probably don't have an answer to.

Iniesta is my all time favourite player, Messi is up there as well. Your delusion and romanticizing of players is what brings your logic and reason down, i.e you're living in a dream world.

TheStig

He should change his gender (not much to do, he already looks like a little girl) and play for the woman's team.

Iniesta Ultra

Good way to avoid the rest of my post which you probably don't have an answer to.

Iniesta is my all time favourite player, Messi is up there as well. Your delusion and romanticizing of players is what brings your logic and reason down, i.e you're living in a dream world.

512 pages of delusion eh.

Alves should've never been let go. Iniesta was let go too early. Messi was let go two years minimum too early. That's not a romantic assertion, the players we've had after them haven't performed near their level. Barca's made a lot of big mistakes and not giving Puig a real opportunity is and will continue to be another one.

JamDav1982

'512 pages' is at least half filled with folk realising how shite Puig is and arguing with the numpties over rating him.

The rest is fanboys that have mostly vanished after being proven so wrong on this limited little attention seeker.

Andresito

Staff member
512 pages of delusion eh.

Alves should've never been let go. Iniesta was let go too early. Messi was let go two years minimum too early. That's not a romantic assertion, the players we've had after them haven't performed near their level. Barca's made a lot of big mistakes and not giving Puig a real opportunity is and will continue to be another one.

So it's all part of Barca's (2 different boards and 4 different coaches) and Spain's incompetency?

Can argue Riqui's biggest fanboys have all had the chance to put him on the map. Setien, Laporta and Xavi. All have cooled down the hype since working with him.

Porque

Article in sport today.

https://www.sport.es/es/noticias/opinion/riqui-puig-queda-sitio-barca-13312443

Riqui Puig remains without place in the Barca

Riqui Puig has immense talent. An exquisite class. And a style that fits perfectly into the Bar?a model.He is a footballer who, due to his conditions, should be called upon to be, inevitably, a pillar in the present and future of the Blaugrana team. But he is not being like that. In fact, the presence of Riqui Puig in the new Bar?a that Xavi is building is symbolic. As much as he was in the previous three seasons, with three different coaches. Riqui Puig barely plays with Xavi, but he didn't play with Koeman either. He didn't even do it with Quique Seti?n. Not with Valverde. Not even with Sergi Barjuan. The problem seems clear that it is not with the technicians, but with the footballer. What happens, then, with Riqui Puig? The answer to this question must be found in the player's peculiar personality, his lack of attitude in training and his low intensity. Three virtues that other footballers do possess.

Riqui Puig's numbers show that he has never had the leading role that was predicted for him. With Ernesto Valverde as coach and between the first team and Bar?a B, Riqui Puig played 192 minutes in three games. With the arrival of Quique Seti?n (in the middle of the 2019-20 campaign) an explosion of the youth squad was expected, but although he played more (578 minutes), he only started 6 games of the 12 in which he participated. Nor was it better with Koeman: in a year and a half he played 653 minutes. The Dutchman was also very harsh publicly with Riqui Puig: "He has to improve in many aspects." Sergi Barjuan, in his interim, gave him 52 minutes. And, finally, with Xavi, his participation has dropped to a testimonial 240 minutes spread over seven games.

The statistics are devastating. Riqui has entered the path of oblivion and his continuity at the club (although he has a contract until June 2023) is not clear. Bar?a's midfield has such quality that Riqui Puig has been left without a place. A transfer (he has always refused to accept this option) or a sale in the summer market are his best alternatives right now. Not to say the only ones. Unless he convinces Xavi in ​​the next three months. Something that seems impossible if it does not completely transform his way of understanding the soccer profession.

---

While the praise is a little too high, it does paint the picture that the honeymoon phase with the Catalan press is finally over

Last edited:

Bobo32

Article in sport today.

https://www.sport.es/es/noticias/opinion/riqui-puig-queda-sitio-barca-13312443

Riqui Puig remains without place in the Barca

Riqui Puig has immense talent. An exquisite class. And a style that fits perfectly into the Bar?a model.He is a footballer who, due to his conditions, should be called upon to be, inevitably, a pillar in the present and future of the Blaugrana team. But he is not being like that. In fact, the presence of Riqui Puig in the new Bar?a that Xavi is building is symbolic. As much as he was in the previous three seasons, with three different coaches. Riqui Puig barely plays with Xavi, but he didn't play with Koeman either. He didn't even do it with Quique Seti?n. Not with Valverde. Not even with Sergi Barjuan. The problem seems clear that it is not with the technicians, but with the footballer. What happens, then, with Riqui Puig? The answer to this question must be found in the player's peculiar personality, his lack of attitude in training and his low intensity. Three virtues that other footballers do possess.

Riqui Puig's numbers show that he has never had the leading role that was predicted for him. With Ernesto Valverde as coach and between the first team and Bar?a B, Riqui Puig played 192 minutes in three games. With the arrival of Quique Seti?n (in the middle of the 2019-20 campaign) an explosion of the youth squad was expected, but although he played more (578 minutes), he only started 6 games of the 12 in which he participated. Nor was it better with Koeman: in a year and a half he played 653 minutes. The Dutchman was also very harsh publicly with Riqui Puig: "He has to improve in many aspects." Sergi Barjuan, in his interim, gave him 52 minutes. And, finally, with Xavi, his participation has dropped to a testimonial 240 minutes spread over seven games.

The statistics are devastating. Riqui has entered the path of oblivion and his continuity at the club (although he has a contract until June 2023) is not clear. Bar?a's midfield has such quality that Riqui Puig has been left without a place. A transfer (he has always refused to accept this option) or a sale in the summer market are his best alternatives right now. Not to say the only ones. Unless he convinces Xavi in ​​the next three months. Something that seems impossible if it does not completely transform his way of understanding the soccer profession.

---

While the praise is a little too high, it does paint the picture that the honeymoon phase with the Catalan press is finally over

It seems like a very cheap article. I doubt these claims of him training on low intensity and lack of attitude are true, it is nothing that can be seen on training footage, just the opposite, despite him being so far from playing most of the time.
The listing of the coaches that disregarded him is very dishonest - Valverde was never a question, Setien used him immediately and until he didn't pick the team himself anymore, Koeman obviously didn't trust him and maybe even hated him like some posters here seem to do, Sergi was interim for a few weeks and tried not to change too much.

Why Xavi doesn't trust Puig is a question I've already written about. It is true that all managers need to find a few players they trust for each position and focus on them, and also take into account the squad dynamics. Xavi has chosen Pedri, Gavi, Frenkie and Nico for these positions, and even though I agree with Iniesta Ultra that Puig should be even better than all of them, I can understand Xavis decision, it is an easy decision to make when taking over in mid-season. I believe Xavi thinks that Puig is a bit too ambitiously unpredictable from the middle of the pitch. I think it is a shame he cannot find another spot for him, like the LW Gavi position for example, or the false 9 one. Both because his immense talent ad excuisite class would be needed on the pitch, but also because him getting some minutes would increase his value when he is inevitably sold.

Joan

I also agree that the article is at least somewhat off. But it's understandable Catalan media want to save their face after simping for Puig for years. Puig's problem has to do with quality, or lack thereof. In more plain, familiar words: Catalan media wants us to think he's a fraud, while he's in fact a bum :malvolio:

ajnotkeith

It seems like a very cheap article. I doubt these claims of him training on low intensity and lack of attitude are true, it is nothing that can be seen on training footage, just the opposite, despite him being so far from playing most of the time.
The listing of the coaches that disregarded him is very dishonest - Valverde was never a question, Setien used him immediately and until he didn't pick the team himself anymore, Koeman obviously didn't trust him and maybe even hated him like some posters here seem to do, Sergi was interim for a few weeks and tried not to change too much.

Why Xavi doesn't trust Puig is a question I've already written about. It is true that all managers need to find a few players they trust for each position and focus on them, and also take into account the squad dynamics. Xavi has chosen Pedri, Gavi, Frenkie and Nico for these positions, and even though I agree with Iniesta Ultra that Puig should be even better than all of them, I can understand Xavis decision, it is an easy decision to make when taking over in mid-season. I believe Xavi thinks that Puig is a bit too ambitiously unpredictable from the middle of the pitch. I think it is a shame he cannot find another spot for him, like the LW Gavi position for example, or the false 9 one. Both because his immense talent ad excuisite class would be needed on the pitch, but also because him getting some minutes would increase his value when he is inevitably sold.

Setien gave him like 4 starts.

The facts are the facts. 4 coaches who didn't play him and then an interim as well who didn't play him. Coaches have their jobs on the lines as well, you really think if they thought he was the best option they wouldn't play him? 4 different coaches?

He has shown he wants to rotate the midfield, he puts FDJ sometimes, occasionally Nico etc but Puig is not featuring into that rotation at all even from the bench so it probably tells you he doesn't see Puig as part of his plan. If he thought he could give him some value he'd at least sub him on. He even took Alvaro Sanz, a player of likely Segunda level and put him on over Puig, which tells you everything.

Last edited:

mc_lovin

All coaches were incompetent though bar Xavi, who wants to protect his own legacy as a player. The world has been incredibly unfair towards the biggest midfield talent ever.

Iniesta Ultra

The coaches just have fear, same reason we got rid of our legends before having replacements. At least we brought Alves back but I guess we were much more desperate in his position than the others.

At least looks like Dest has more upside than Semedo ever was.

ajnotkeith

The coaches just have fear, same reason we got rid of our legends before having replacements. At least we brought Alves back but I guess we were much more desperate in his position than the others.

At least looks like Dest has more upside than Semedo ever was.

Xavi wasn't scared to put Alvaro fking Sanz on over Puig,lol.

Home of Barca Fans