Mavericky Puig

Bobo32

Setien gave him like 4 starts.

The facts are the facts. 4 coaches who didn't play him and then an interim as well who didn't play him. Coaches have their jobs on the lines as well, you really think if they thought he was the best option they wouldn't play him? 4 different coaches?

He has shown he wants to rotate the midfield, he puts FDJ sometimes, occasionally Nico etc but Puig is not featuring into that rotation at all even from the bench so it probably tells you he doesn't see Puig as part of his plan. If he thought he could give him some value he'd at least sub him on. He even took Alvaro Sanz, a player of likely Segunda level and put him on over Puig, which tells you everything.

At first I wasn't going to answer this repetition of the exact points I argued against already in the post you quoted, but then I saw that the bolded part could be clarified.

Yes, there are of course times that a manager might not use the players he thinks are "best", because the manager thinks the benefit is smaller than the potential cost, for the manager himself if not for the team. There are very few managers with the balls as well as the trust from above to go completely on their own vision, most choose to go the easier way or they choose their battles and compromise. When Setien chose based on his own vision, Puig was clearly a key player for him (this was before Pedri and Gavi though of course).

I still have a belief that Xavi partly disregards Puig because it is the easy option for him - he hasn't really shown a lot of courage in his selections so far, but he has focused on improving the team that was already there, without doing anything controversial. Playing Puig would only risk to backfire on him, we all know the critique would be about Xavi being single-minded etc if Puig played before the now more established midfielders and they lost.

JamDav1982

Most moronic narrative for Puigs failure yet...Suits the likes of Bobo though.

'Coaches dont have the balls to play him'.

Scraping the barrel lads.

Puig is nowhere near good enough. Simple.

Andresito

Staff member
The mental gymnastics in this thread never fails to amaze me. The lengths one has to go to make up far fetched reasons to why a player isn't playing.

He isn't better than what we have. Why is that so hard to fathom?

4 coaches, 1 interim manager, 1 national team coach have ALL had the chance to use him, to see him in training everyday to make a decision. ALL 6 have either
a) not given him a chance because they don't think he's good enough
or b) played him and stopped because he wasn't good enough.

How much didn't Laporta and Xavi stan for him one year ago? "Riqui is a starter, Riqui is the future etc." How much do we hear of this today? Nothing because they understood that they were in the wrong. They are planning the next season without him because there's no place for him in this team.

Worst one is that Xavi fears Riqui might surpass him and doesn't play him because of that. You, as a coach, apparently possess a player who can become a top 5 midfielder OF ALL TIME, and decide not to play him because of personal fear. As if Xavi has been selfish all his playing career and didn't share the spotlight with likes of Puyol, Casillas (for NT), Iniesta and Messi.

OVI9323

Here are some "very trustful" inside info : Xavi is delighted to have Riqui Puig. The coach is very happy with his attitude in training and asks him not to lower his arms despite the fierce competition in midfield. [sport]

Year 2030: Barca has been dominating the football world, winning title after title while playing jaw-dropping football. Surprisingly there are still a few fans who believe that the 30yo Riqui Puig has been criminally wronged by all the coaches and that he needs more chances to prove himself.

Last edited:

Porque

Sport backtracking on yesterdays opinion piece in todays article.

Xavi, delighted with Riqui Puig
https://www.sport.es/es/noticias/barca/xavi-encantado-riqui-puig-13316715

The technician encourages him not to lower his arms and to continue working as before
He understands that there is a lot of competition, but he is satisfied with his attitude in each training session

That Riqui Puig plays little is obvious . The one from Matadepera is still waiting for his moment in the Bar?a first team, which he arrived with Valverde and where he has already lived with four coaches. The 'Txingurri' made him debut when he was only 19 years old and with him he took his first steps, showing a talent that earned him all kinds of praise. The future was his.

With Quique Seti?n he played half of the games and his ostracism started with Koeman. The Dutchman never liked it: every teacher has his booklet. Xavi's arrival seemed like a breath of fresh air for the youth squad, but circumstances rule and Pedri, Gavi and Nico have taken advantage of the opportunity to get ahead of him. In a club whose environment elevates you in two days and buries you just as quickly , the best option is to keep calm and keep working. That is what Riqui Puig is doing. In that sense, Xavi is delighted with him, he understands that he is giving his all in every training session and has encouraged him to continue like this. The player has responded by attending the voluntary sessions.The coach has made him see that the competition in midfield is fierce, but he is counting on him and asks him not to give up . Patience.

---

Got to give it to him. World class media game. This take is probably closer to reality than yesterdays. Xavi just has 3 young midfielders that he rates higher, both currently and in potential. It is what it is, currently.

fergus90

He's not going to get hardly any game time until the end of May unless a drastic situation with injuries occurs. If he wants to develop as a footballer and make as best a career as he can, he needs first-team football somewhere next season.

He will not make it at FC Barcelona as he's simply not at the level needed. His cons as a midfielder outweigh the pros. The only way that situation has any remote chance of changing is if he plays football on a weekly basis and learns his trade.

Last edited:

Iniesta Ultra

4 coaches, 1 interim manager, 1 national team coach have ALL had the chance to use him, to see him in training everyday to make a decision. ALL 6 have either
a) not given him a chance because they don't think he's good enough
or b) played him and stopped because he wasn't good enough.

You've posted the same appeal to authority fallacy quite often now.

Very few coaches can transcend their own political and personal biases even at the detriment to their best players. If it weren't for Arteta's ego we wouldn't have been able to get Auba. Yeah so Auba was late to practice or whatever but he should've done like Xavi to Dembele and kept fining him until his behavior changed. And you don't pull the "I'm the manager I'll just bench you" card as if negative reinforcement would work.

Karch Kiraly is undisputedly the GOAT in USA men's volleyball with three gold medals indoor and beach. When he became head coach of USA women's NT with exactly zero managerial experience in 2012, I kid you not he expelled the undisputedly best female hitter in American history Destinee Hooker in both her performance and age PRIME because she was a harmless diva. He also gave no real opportunity to who I consider the best American setter ever Lauren Plum because she was known in college as ignoring her coaches. Kiraly's a control freak, at autistic savant levels, and even with a B/C team he was still able to win gold in WC and Olympics mostly due to weak competition. I suspect Xavi might have similar success with Barca but that doesn't mean we won't win more trophies with Puig.

Horatio

You're welcome

Very few coaches can transcend their own political and personal biases even at the detriment to their best players. If it weren't for Arteta's ego we wouldn't have been able to get Auba. Yeah so Auba was late to practice or whatever but he should've done like Xavi to Dembele and kept fining him until his behavior changed. And you don't pull the "I'm the manager I'll just bench you" card as if negative reinforcement would work.

Don't think that is what happened.

ajnotkeith

Karch Kiraly is undisputedly the GOAT in USA men's volleyball with three gold medals indoor and beach. When he became head coach of USA women's NT with exactly zero managerial experience in 2012, I kid you not he expelled the undisputedly best female hitter in American history Destinee Hooker in both her performance and age PRIME because she was a harmless diva. He also gave no real opportunity to who I consider the best American setter ever Lauren Plum because she was known in college as ignoring her coaches. Kiraly's a control freak, at autistic savant levels, and even with a B/C team he was still able to win gold in WC and Olympics mostly due to weak competition. I suspect Xavi might have similar success with Barca but that doesn't mean we won't win more trophies with Puig.

Alright, so when Puig goes to a new club, he will show he's one of the best midfielders in the world, yes? Let's just get that down now.

Or will he just happen to meet another coach who has some secret illogical bias against him/doesn't play him in the right tactics for Riqui's world class talent/ other bs reason why he won't shine?

It seems like the only one in the world who seems to know how to get that out of Puig would be you at this point, lol

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans