Mavericky Puig

JohnN

I believe some people just can't accept he hasn't lived up to their expectations and refuse to admit being wrong.
I believed Riqui was wronged by Koeman, and that he was better than most here think. But, without changing my opinion about his skill level, it is obvious he is not as good as pedri, Nico and Gavi. So, there is no reason anymore to think about it. Perhaps he could have taken more chances when older guys were starting in midfield and he was a breath of fresh air compared to those veterans, but Pedri is 19 and already produces magic and Gavi is freaking 17 and has produced great moments that Puig simply never did.
The Puig support should end at some point.

JamDav1982

He was exactly at the level Koeman had him at and long way from being good enough.

Worse than likes of Alena who was not good enough either.

Regardless of other who are good enough being there he is not even close and Barca would be left with huge need for new players if he was all had as back up.

JohnN

He was exactly at the level Koeman had him at and long way from being good enough.

Worse than likes of Alena who was not good enough either.

Regardless of other who are good enough being there he is not even close and Barca would be left with huge need for new players if he was all had as back up.

I was mislead with Puig, believed he could be more. We haven't had a decent talent for ages and Puig seemed to have some hope. But after remembering actual talent, there is no question about his place in my mind.
Either way, the team is on a roll playing good football again, why would we disrupt that to give opportunities to Puig.

Bobo32

I believe some people just can't accept he hasn't lived up to their expectations and refuse to admit being wrong.
I believed Riqui was wronged by Koeman, and that he was better than most here think. But, without changing my opinion about his skill level, it is obvious he is not as good as pedri, Nico and Gavi. So, there is no reason anymore to think about it. Perhaps he could have taken more chances when older guys were starting in midfield and he was a breath of fresh air compared to those veterans, but Pedri is 19 and already produces magic and Gavi is freaking 17 and has produced great moments that Puig simply never did.
The Puig support should end at some point.

It will end when he starts to play badly, honest people won't change opinion on him when he is not playing.
He played a handful of games with some minutes around the new year and he was one of the best players on the pitch in all of them, yes even the disappointing game vs Linares where he was scapegoated to bring on Frenkie de Jong at HT and never to be seen without his overcoat for two months after. In that game he had made some big silly mistakes in the middle of the pitch but was otherwise one of few who was not completely under the ice.

Nico has done very little, if he was suddenly disregarded by Xavi the way Puig has been for two seasons you'd surely join in the same sorts of arguments as you do with Puig now.

ajnotkeith

It will end when he starts to play badly, honest people won't change opinion on him when he is not playing.
He played a handful of games with some minutes around the new year and he was one of the best players on the pitch in all of them, yes even the disappointing game vs Linares where he was scapegoated to bring on Frenkie de Jong at HT and never to be seen without his overcoat for two months after. In that game he had made some big silly mistakes in the middle of the pitch but was otherwise one of few who was not completely under the ice.

Nico has done very little, if he was suddenly disregarded by Xavi the way Puig has been for two seasons you'd surely join in the same sorts of arguments as you do with Puig now.

Nico hardly starts either. But he trusts him enough to relieve the starters, at least.

Every time Puig enters the field he seems to manage to make some amateur error and lose the ball in his own half. It happened against Mallorca as well, but some would say a side pass to Mingueza cancelled that out.

You could say this is PARTLY down to lack of rhythm but Puig could easily have had rhythm years ago if he sensibly decided to leave. Just the same points non stop but they are true.

Bobo32

Nico hardly starts either. But he trusts him enough to relieve the starters, at least.

Every time Puig enters the field he seems to manage to make some amateur error and lose the ball in his own half. It happened against Mallorca as well, but some would say a side pass to Mingueza cancelled that out.

You could say this is PARTLY down to lack of rhythm but Puig could easily have had rhythm years ago if he sensibly decided to leave. Just the same points non stop but they are true.

Yes Nico is trusted, everyone can see that. He is the fourth choice, and Xavi wants to give him minutes.
The other game Nico made a true amateur error of the kind I never saw Puig make. Puig makes fewer errors than pretty much any player, while trying to play more constructively. Sometimes he is found out, as is Busquets or Verratti sometimes, as are more conservative players like Gavi or Pedri too.

I don't remember the mistake against Mallorca, but he played 95,7% of his passes correctly in that game, Nico and Frenkie were on 88%.
And he "cancelled out" the least amount of passing mistakes by being the midfielder on top in stats for progressive passes, passes into final third and even the silly stat "key passes", as well as in total distance of passes.
https://fbref.com/en/matches/800b362a/Mallorca-Barcelona-January-2-2022-La-Liga

EVERYTHING with Puig needs to be seen in the light of him playing so rarely.
Yes I think it would've been good for him to leave this january, but I don't know enough about the situation. I know he plays well when he plays.

JamDav1982

Puig started 4 games last season and was shite in 3 of them.. having to be subbed out before Barca could turn the game and win it... Two of them v lower league teams in the cup.

Puig started 2 games this season... subbed out at HT in 1 of them by Xavi as shite... then Barca turned game round.

The narrative he 'plays well every game' is utter nonsense.

Spain U21s took a look at him four times last season...90 mins, 68 mins... off at HT.. 8 mins. Dumped from squad.

Last edited:

CatalinR10

How did he celebrate at Depay goal ?

Was it a cool celebration ?

Tv didn't show his celebration skills. They are probably jealous of him.

Home of Barca Fans