Mavericky Puig

Bobo32

He'll definitely get more time than he did under Koeman (which isn't difficult). Would be surprised though if he ever comes over the role of being a sub. He successfully "outwaited" Koeman, but some new talents emerged during that time. All of them are much younger than him, some of them already debuted for the Spanish national team. Now Nico is there too and I'm sure Xavi followed Barca very closely in the last few months. There is not much speaking for Puig. He hasn't significantly more experience than rookies Gavi and Nico despite being in the squad for years now. No need to mention even Pedri in the same sentence after the season he had.

I can agree roughly with this.

Pedri is very high potential, I really think he needs some tweaking though. I believe Xavi will think the same, and be able to help Pedri, I believe he will improve much, but maybe not play as much as under Koeman initially.
Puig needs tweaking too, but I believe it is more of a trust and mentality thing, rather than playing style. I think he could be of more use earlier than Pedri, despite Pedri being much more established at this time.
Puigs 'problem' is Gavi, who is pretty similar in his positioning and general style, but has played a bit more maturely already, partly because he was given the trust. I rate Gavi highly and think he will become great, but I think he too needs a lot of tweaking, and shouldn't play with A every game at this stage.

ajnotkeith

There is a long season ahead and during this time of turbulence I don't think we really got to judge some of our players properly especially the youth. It is a bit of a desperate time and our results are awful so nobody expects anything of the youth players like Gavi, Fati, Nico etc given their limited experience so when they play bad it's overlooked and when they play good it's very acknowledged. That's normal, we are in a time of crisis and at the moment don't look like we will come close to winning anything so expectations are low.

But as the season goes on and the reality sink in that we could not even finish in European places people are going to start to critically analyse the performance of some of these players and midfield is somewhere there could be changes. We are struggling to put shots on target even against the worst teams in the league and part of that is Depay and co but part of that is also that the midfield hasn't been that good either, basically everyone has been subpar. In 2 months of games we haven't scored a single goal from midfield and I believe the midfielder that did before that was Roberto.

It's a long season and Puig will have his chances. But he is on shaky ground and if he plays bad he won't get them again.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
He'll definitely get more time than he did under Koeman (which isn't difficult). Would be surprised though if he ever comes over the role of being a sub. He successfully "outwaited" Koeman, but some new talents emerged during that time. All of them are much younger than him, some of them already debuted for the Spanish national team. Now Nico is there too and I'm sure Xavi followed Barca very closely in the last few months. There is not much speaking for Puig. He hasn't significantly more experience than rookies Gavi and Nico despite being in the squad for years now. No need to mention even Pedri in the same sentence after the season he had.

I see Puig as more a protagonist in that final third along with being the only of the 3 that can truly operate between the lines with consistency - best thing for Barca & Puig is Xavi's arrival as no one understands how our midfield needs to play apart from him or Pep

Good things coming

ajnotkeith

'Busquets, Piqu?, Alba and Riqui Puig were playing board games and sharing jokes and laughter on their way back home after one of the defeats recently. Laporta did not like it at all and was very upset' [tv3]

Don't know how true the bit about Laporta being upset was because he loves the golden cows and Puig but I could see it happening. Alba seemed very upset after the Alaves loss tho

Catta

If he ever reaches Denis Suarez level, he should be happy.

If Xavi makes this guy a starter, he will be sacked before next season starts.

fergus90

Lets be honest, there is absolutely 0% chance Xavi makes him a starter. Xavi was one of the greatest midfielders of all time, if rookies like us can see he's not up to it then so can he.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Headless chicken performance, had some nice touches and passes, but did more bad than good. The midfield became too lightweight with him

Home of Barca Fans