Mehdi Benatia

Bertus

Yeah, I've already said that while I would have taken Benatia over either of them, I'd much rather have had Benatia + Mathieu than Benatia + Vermaelen.

The thing is, even if Mathieu proves he was a good choice, the fact still remains that a far better, younger one was available for not much more money. That's why the only way I won't see ignoring Benatia as a fuck up is if Mathieu outperforms him.

You know, I too said many crap things this summer. I was sure that Benatia would not leave for less than 50M if he ever had to leave Roma.

Fact is, I was 100% wrong.

Now I won't speculate. Some here want to believe his pricetag was not the same a month ago etc etc.

I for one will stop trying to guess what happened, and I'm sad neither Barca or PSG went for him, but maybe people here are right about his pricetag.

Bertus

He plays in a different league and with a Team with a different style.Why compare stats?

That didn't stop many people here to do the same when Barca had a chance to get TS who was playing where? Oh wait, at Milan.

I don't see why stats can't be compared. It's not because benatia is not in la Liga that he will become a piece of sh*t if he ever plays in Spain one day.

I think it's fair to compare some stats, even if it annoys those who absolutely want to prove "Benatia didn't fit barcelona".

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Gonna be honest, Mathieu will probably never outperform Benatia unless the later suffers from injuries.

But Mathieu doesn't need to do that to prove that he was a good choice.

If you want to question a transfer, do it about Vermi, not Mathieu.

I know some of you have issues with Mathieu's age, but he's a good choice.

How can we tell whether one is going to outperform the other playing for Barca when they actually play for two different teams? Hypothetically speaking?

One player alone, certainly not one CB, does not win games. If we use Mathieu properly that allows him to play to his strengths, he will be fine for us.

You guys need to quit sobbing over this. Shoulda, coulda, woulda. Too late. We work with what we have and get the best out of them, and I hope Lucho knows what he is doing.

That didn't stop many people here to do the same when Barca had a chance to get TS who was playing where? Oh wait, at Milan.

I don't see why stats can't be compared. It's not because benatia is not in la Liga that he will become a piece of sh*t if he ever plays in Spain one day.

I think it's fair to compare some stats, even if it annoys those who absolutely want to prove "Benatia didn't fit barcelona".

Yeah, some people seem desperate to prove that. Though the best they can come up with is "but he isn't left footed!" or "but he doesn't play in Spain!" Like the foot he uses is that important or not playing in Spain means he'll automatically become shit once he goes there. He has the attributes that matter, like being a decent passer, being good in the air, not error-prone, etc. Don't see why he wouldn't fit at Barca.

Last edited:

Bertus

How can we tell whether one is going to outperform the other when they actually play for two different teams? Hypothetically speaking?

One player alone, certainly not one CB, does not win games. If we use Mathieu properly that allows him to play to his strengths, he will be fine for us.

You guys need to quit sobbing over this. Shoulda, coulda, woulda. Too late. We work with what we have and get the best out of them, and I hope Lucho knows what he is doing.

I was purely talking about stats.

Of course people will be free to say he's the best CB on the planet if Mathieu scores during the CL final or makes an incredible challenge to avoid a goal.

Bertus

I never said he would be shit in spain but its weird to compare defenders like that.

How do you want to compare them then?

Is TS not good because he never played in Spain?

TS at one point was considered to be the world best CB despite not playing in Spain, and I think it was fair.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
How do you want to compare them then?

Is TS not good because he never played in Spain?

TS at one point was considered to be the world best CB despite not playing in Spain, and I think it was fair.

He needs to test his mettle in the best league in the world, the Barclays Premier League.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Jesus Christ. Whether it be whining about us not getting him or having an inherent need to rationalize everything the board does to absolve blame, you know something is off when a single player that we didn't end up buying gets some 20-25+ pages added to his thread on the day of his transfer to another club. This is being taken wayyy too strongly. Opinions are escalating to the point of extremes where people believe something along the lines of:

a) "We're better off without him and that I'll support the reason he wasn't signed, whatever it may be."

or

b) "Benatia is imperative to success and his not being signed has some irrationally significant input on our possible success or lack thereof this season. I won't be happy with a defensive transfer that is not named Benatia."

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Jesus Christ. Whether it be whining about us not getting him or having an inherent need to rationalize everything the board does to absolve blame, you know something is off when a single player that we didn't end up buying gets some 20-25+ pages added to his thread on the day of his transfer to another club. This is being taken wayyy too strongly. Opinions are escalating to the point of extremes where people believe something along the lines of:

a) "We're better off without him and that I'll support the reason he wasn't signed, whatever it may be."

or

b) "Benatia is imperative to success and his not being signed has some irrationally significant input on our possible success or lack thereof this season. I won't be happy with a defensive transfer that is not named Benatia."

You should see RedCafe Thiago and Fabregas threads :lol:.

Home of Barca Fans