Mehdi Benatia

DrPepper

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...to_goal/yellow_cards/red_cards/total_score#90

Comparison between the best defenders of the Top 5 leagues. By popularity since Kompany gets a lot of hate here and some might argue that Atleticos defenders were better than Ramos. Not trying to prove anything and also not saying he is the best because stats comparison isn't that easy, but you can easily see that Benatia is world class level and in terms of stats only Thiago Silva (who is the GOAT) comes close.

The question for me is, why do you sign Vermaelen for 20m who barely played last season and even now is still injured? Benatia for 30m is a steal and for sure buying Vermaelen is much more risky than Benatia. I don't buy that whole "he doesn't fit to the system" because the most important thing a CB has to offer is the ability to defend. Puyol wasn't that good on the ball but nobody said he should be sold because he doesn't fit the system. Also Vermaelen might lose his pace after all his injuries so his only advantage over Benatia could be gone.

How people could argue that Vermaelen is the better signing for Barca is beyond me really.

Sid90

Try to add Pique to the mix and you will be seriously surprised how underrated he actually is and look into the 2012/13 stats guy was a beast along with Thiago Silva(best defender of the past four years).

Last edited:
R

Ryu Hayabusa

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...to_goal/yellow_cards/red_cards/total_score#90

Comparison between the best defenders of the Top 5 leagues. By popularity since Kompany gets a lot of hate here and some might argue that Atleticos defenders were better than Ramos. Not trying to prove anything and also not saying he is the best because stats comparison isn't that easy, but you can easily see that Benatia is world class level and in terms of stats only Thiago Silva (who is the GOAT) comes close.

The question for me is, why do you sign Vermaelen for 20m who barely played last season and even now is still injured? Benatia for 30m is a steal and for sure buying Vermaelen is much more risky than Benatia. I don't buy that whole "he doesn't fit to the system" because the most important thing a CB has to offer is the ability to defend. Puyol wasn't that good on the ball but nobody said he should be sold because he doesn't fit the system. Also Vermaelen might lose his pace after all his injuries so his only advantage over Benatia could be gone.

How people could argue that Vermaelen is the better signing for Barca is beyond me really.

You should have included someone like Boateng and also some passing stats.
This here "exposes" Benatia a tad tbh:
http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...ses/goals_scored/attack_score/yellow_cards#90

Here also your adjusted comparison:
http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...ated/goals_scored/attack_score/total_score#90

Last edited:

How about this:
http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...s/defensive_errors/errors_leading_to_goal#avg

Bartra's stats are as good if not better than Benatia's in almost every defensive category, so if "you can easily see that Benatia is world class level " does that mean that Bartra is on the same level? Statistically speaking he is even before you factor in his age, so by that logic all we needed was bench Mascherano and play Bartra instead to solve our CB problem.

That's ridiculous, but that's what the stats tell you, so there's no need to play the stats game to justify an argument because – at least in this case – it doesn't prove anything.

Last edited:

Gaudi

Never really watched Benatia, also I think there is a lot of bandwagoning here as he only played 1 good season, but I trully don't understand that price. Is Bayern doing something special or nobody really wanted him?

Gaudi

A freind that follows Roma told me that Roma wanted him to stay therefore big price tag at the begining, but than Benatia wanted bigger salary and they offered him much less and that's why he pushed for the transfer, so If we waited we could have got him for 25 mil. Well it doesnt' matter anymore

Ok, so why exactly are "goals scored" or "average pass length" relevant to how good a player is as a CB? Your inclusion of "fouls committed" & "yellow cards" make sense, but they're all in Bartra's favor, which only proves my point that statistically speaking Bartra is at least as good if not better than Benatia, but that tells you next to nothing about their quality, unless you're saying that Bartra is on the same level as Benatia which is what the stats would have us believe.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Well they know we're desperate so we'd have to pay a bit more. Also if Bayern were in for him a bidding war would begin. I reckon he'd be 40m minimum for us.

Also I think stats are dumb. The only way you can judge a player is watching him and seeing all the small parts of his game. According to stats Iniesta is a shit player for example.

Last edited:
R

Ryu Hayabusa

A freind that follows Roma told me that Roma wanted him to stay therefore big price tag at the begining, but than Benatia wanted bigger salary and they offered him much less and that's why he pushed for the transfer, so If we waited we could have got him for 25 mil. Well it doesnt' matter anymore

Yeah, Barca could have totally gotten him for even less than what Bayern paid Roma, especially since Bayern would have been in the market as well.
Makes TOTAL FUCKING SENSE.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Ok, so why exactly are "goals scored" or "average pass length" relevant to how good a player is as a CB? Your inclusion of "fouls committed" & "yellow cards" make sense, but they're all in Bartra's favor, which only proves my point that statistically speaking Bartra is at least as good if not better than Benatia, but that tells you next to nothing about their quality, unless you're saying that Bartra is on the same level as Benatia which is what the stats would have us believe.

If you have to ask such a question, you may ask yourself, if you truly understand Barca's way of playing football.
Passing abilities are very important to a player who's playing in a Pep induced system and tactics.
Look up Boateng, Dante and Badstuber. You will see an enormous difference to your Batra and also Benatia.

And obviously more goals are better than less goals. Should be a no-brainer. A CB either has that additional thread potential, or he doesn't.

Home of Barca Fans