Mehdi Benatia

He's as good as Benatia according to the stats YOU selected.
Yes, but your stats tell the same story. According to YOUR stats Bartra is a better passer, commits fewer fouls and earns fewer bookings per game than Benatia. What else? Benatia has better defense & attack scores, ok but that's not even a stat, it's a highly subjective assessment whereas Bartra leads in every other metric except for clearances and errors. So according to your stats he's as good as Benatia, which is clearly not the case in real life.

Cule4life

The Culest
Lel the stats argument again. Whatever happened to seeing the games and using your brains and knowledge to decide for yourself

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Lel the stats argument again. Whatever happened to seeing the games and using your brains and knowledge to decide for yourself

Isn't he saying that stats don't show the full picture though? Because the stats show Bartra is near Benatia when it's not the truth.

Bertus

How about this:
http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...s/defensive_errors/errors_leading_to_goal#avg

Bartra's stats are as good if not better than Benatia's in almost every defensive category, so if "you can easily see that Benatia is world class level " does that mean that Bartra is on the same level? Statistically speaking he is even before you factor in his age, so by that logic all we needed was bench Mascherano and play Bartra instead to solve our CB problem.

That's ridiculous, but that's what the stats tell you, so there's no need to play the stats game to justify an argument because – at least in this case – it doesn't prove anything.

Why you guys don't just use the "Defense Score" since it's the most interesting stats when we compare CBs?

Benatia: 24.86
Bartra: 18.05

Say it all. Dunno why you guys just compare what stats you prefer to belittle the stats argument. Even if you pick ALL the stats related to defense, benatia is the most complete defender of them all, stats wise. Hence why he has the best defense score.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

except for clearances and errors.

Which are rather important for a defender, aren't they? Also he's not exclusively better at passing, as you claim. Benatia averages a longer pass distance, which is pretty important for Bayern/Pep CBs. If you compare both to Boateng and Dante as well as Badstuber, you will realize that they are even better, since Bayern utilize long balls delivered by their CBs as a weapon of choice.

Bertus

Still don´t see the Point in comparing stats from 2 defenders that play in 2 Teams with different playstyles.
Gonna ask again what I asked to you yesterday without getting any reply: how do you want to compare them then? How do you think TS was believed to be the world best CB when he was at Milan and during his first year at PSG?

As I see it, people refuse to compare anything as soon as it doesn't serve their preferred team.

So back to what some including me replied to you yesterday: CBs are less good as long as they don't play in La Liga?

xavi_the_Boss

I just don´t think stats say that much comparing defenders in 2 different Teams who play a different style and against different Teams.
How do compare them?
Watch them play.
I never said they are less good but there is a difference if you Play in Serie A the premier league or La Liga.

Bertus

I just don´t think stats say that much comparing defenders in 2 different Teams who play a different style and against different Teams.
How do compare them?
Watch them play.
I never said they are less good but there is a difference if you Play in Serie A the premier league or La Liga.

Fine by me, as far as I'm concerned that proves my point even more since I watched them playing last season.

Home of Barca Fans