Mehdi Benatia

Fuck, that hurts.

Sure freaking does :(

Could have been worse I guess. Didn't RM get linked with him for a little while? Imagine them getting him for 30 million. Holy fucking shit.

The club clearly went after both players and put big bids in for both - possibly too big.

They persued them and put in a big effort to get them.

There is nothing to suggest Lucho was desperate for Benatia and club said no or made no effort to get him.

We did get linked with him a little at the start of the summer. Then that guy from AS Roma's board said they'd only sell him for 61m and IIRC that's when the rumors died down. It seems to me that it wasn't Lucho that stopped the transfer, but what our board thought the price would be.

Anyways, if Lucho didn't want him, he made a mistake.

Also, Lucho is more in charge of transfers than Tata, but he isn't completely in charge. The Douglas signing shows that.

Last edited:

SeloBarca

Lucho doesnt seem to have that much knowledge of players outside spain.
Aurier and Benatia would not have been that expensive and would be much much better then Douglas, Vermaelen and Mathieu.
Its up to the scouts to inform him properly.

Barcilliant

Roma are to blame for this fiasco mainly. They were hopping a biding war would start when clubs showed their interest. Then they announced he was for sale for 61 million obviously hoping they'd sell for 45-50 million. That price tag would put off anyone. PSG and City's hands were tied and Barca were never going to pay that. Anyway Roma were always going to seel him and they freaked out when no one offered anything. Along came Bayern and bingo-SOLD.

CatalinR10

cdd935e764c21c2a367a10eb45cca412.jpg

aAY4KGZ_460sa.gif

David Luiz = 60m
Marquinhos = 35m
Luke Shaw = 34m
Mathieu = 20m
Marcos Rojo = 26m
Mangala = 40m
Vermaelen = 20m

Benatia = 30m

50158447.jpg

Last edited:

JamDav1982

David Luiz = 60m
Marquinhos = 35m
Luke Shaw = 34m
Mathieu = 20m
Marcos Rojo = 26m
Mangala = 40m

Benatia = 30m

50158447.jpg

The Benatia fee was being quoted as 37m yesterday.

This was much more to do with Roma misjudging how much clubs would be desperate for Benatia and how much they would be willing to pay for him. Much more so than Bayern driving down a brilliant bargain.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
The Benatia fee was being quoted as 37m yesterday.

This was much more to do with Roma misjudging how much clubs would be desperate for Benatia and how much they would be willing to pay for him. Much more so than Bayern driving down a brilliant bargain.

I agree, although most reliable sources are all saying it's around 30m so I don't know where you got that 37m figure from.

Pep said that he and Alonso will be ready for the match on Saturday and could play.

Theconomist

Dunno why people keep thinking that transfer fees are in any way objective.
The buying club sets the price as much as the selling club.

Home of Barca Fans