Mehdi Benatia

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
cdd935e764c21c2a367a10eb45cca412.jpg

JamDav1982

I can imagine Luis Enrique and all other Barça staff members being very mad. Especially considering we never made an official bid.

It points to Lucho being the one that was not kean on Benatia for whatever reason.

Judging how the club persued players he did want, it points to his opinion having a very big influence on who was signed this summer.

Tomchin

It points to Lucho being the one that was not kean on Benatia for whatever reason.

Judging how the club persued players he did want, it points to his opinion having a very big influence on who was signed this summer.
We didn't manage to sign Marquinhos and Cuadrado though.

JamDav1982

We didn't manage to sign Marquinhos and Cuadrado though.

The club clearly went after both players and put big bids in for both - possibly too big.

They persued them and put in a big effort to get them.

There is nothing to suggest Lucho was desperate for Benatia and club said no or made no effort to get him.

Which are rather important for a defender, aren't they? Also he's not exclusively better at passing, as you claim. Benatia averages a longer pass distance, which is pretty important for Bayern/Pep CBs. If you compare both to Boateng and Dante as well as Badstuber, you will realize that they are even better, since Bayern utilize long balls delivered by their CBs as a weapon of choice.
Certainly, but are they any less important than interceptions or % duels won? But lets assume that you're correct, what these stats suggest is that Benatia & Bartra are approximately on the same level which clearly they are not, so looking at stats alone tells you very little and may in fact be misleading.

I'm not gonna comment on Benatia compared to D/B since I think we both agree that Bayern made the right decision in signing him.

Home of Barca Fans