Mehdi Benatia

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Facewall.jpg

You just don't get it mate.

Also why complain? We had a very good transfer window.

Maria

1. A cule will always have a reason to complain.
2. Our transfer window was good. For it to have been very good Benatia should have been bought instead of Vermaelen.

Because it would have been infinitely better had we bought Benatia instead of either Mathieu or Vermaelen. Preferably Vermaelen.

Just because we had a good transfer window doesn't mean it was perfect or that I can't criticize aspects of it. Ignoring Benatia was a huge mistake. CBs of his quality are rare these days, and if they're available, they cost a fortune (just look at David Luiz, not even half the CB Benatia is and went for 50-60m). If you need a CB and a world class one in his prime like Benatia is available at such a good price, you don't ignore him. You just don't. Especially not in favor of an injury prone Arsenal reject.

2. Our transfer window was good. For it to have been very good Benatia should have been bought instead of Vermaelen.

Pretty much this.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Because it would have been infinitely better had we bought Benatia instead of either Mathieu or Vermaelen. Preferably Vermaelen.

Just because we had a good transfer window doesn't mean it was perfect or that I can't criticize aspects of it. Ignoring Benatia was a huge mistake. CBs of his quality are rare these days, and if they're available, they cost a fortune (just look at David Luiz, not even half the CB Benatia is and went for 50-60m). If you need a CB and a world class one in his prime like Benatia is available at such a good price, you don't ignore him. You just don't. Especially not in favor of an injury prone Arsenal reject.

Pretty much this.

1. Vermaelen was not an 'Arsenal reject'. They offered him a new contract.
2. There is nothing to suggest that Benatia was available for a good price at the time Barca were looking for a CB.

Henry_IB

Banned
1. Vermaelen was not an 'Arsenal reject'. They offered him a new contract.
2. There is nothing to suggest that Benatia was available for a good price at the time Barca were looking for a CB.

What he meant with reject is that he wasn't even first choice at Arsenal. He was third in the picking order, would have been forth in picking order probably after the bought chambers this summer.

We will see how he turns out, if he was bought to be a backup I guess it's a decent deal, didn't pay too much for him. But as others have said, we could have bought Benatia instead of him and have matheiu as backup.

JamDav1982

What he meant with reject is that he wasn't even first choice at Arsenal. He was third in the picking order, would have been forth in picking order probably after the bought chambers this summer.

We will see how he turns out, if he was bought to be a backup I guess it's a decent deal, didn't pay too much for him. But as others have said, we could have bought Benatia instead of him and have matheiu as backup.

A player who is not first choice is not a 'reject'.

Is Batra a Barca reject?

Benatia may be a better CB than Mathieu - personally I am not sure he is but this season will put both in the spotlight at bigger clubs.

The things Mathieu brings that Benatia doesnt - comfortable on left side, can cover left back or left center back in a back three, has La Liga experience and speaks Spanish.

It is not as simple as just saying Benatia is better player and should be signed with Mathieu as his back up. Most likely Mathieu provides the balance, leadership and La Liga experience they wanted in the back line and thats why they pushed so hard to get him.

Edit: No idea if Benatia speaks Spanish, bit of an assumption!

DrPepper

German media saying that Benatia actually wanted to stay with Roma, but they needed money so had to sell. It is also said that Chelsea, Man City, Barcelona and Real Madrid were interested (and offered). Benatia's reasoning for joining Bayern is strange though, saying that Bayern is one of the four best clubs in the world and that you don't refuse an offer to play for them. So basically he could join any of the clubs that were interested with that reason...

R

Ryu Hayabusa

German media saying that Benatia actually wanted to stay with Roma, but they needed money so had to sell. It is also said that Chelsea, Man City, Barcelona and Real Madrid were interested (and offered).

He himself said it.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
He said he had offers from Man City and Chelsea as well with Barca and Real Madrid being interested(no concrete offers). We might have been interested, but only as a 2nd option to Marquinhos I guess. Just an assumption ofc.

He said he had offers from Man City and Chelsea as well with Barca and Real Madrid being interested(no concrete offers). We might have been interested, but only as a 2nd option to Marquinhos I guess. Just an assumption ofc.

Maybe he was our 2nd option to Mathieu or Vermaelen :zubi:

Also, I think Vermaelen was the 2nd option to Marquinhos.

I

instinct

Statement from James Pallotta:

Mehdi Benatia has obviously continued with his pattern of outright fabrications over the last couple of months. We had a verbal agreement on compensation and a raise back in July in Boston. He personally said to me that he was happy after I told him flat out with no exceptions that we wanted him to stay. Over the following month he lied about wanting to stay and about the details of his compensation to both Rudi Garcia and his teammates. Lying to me was one thing which I can somewhat handle. Lying to Rudi Garcia and his teammates was completely unacceptable to me. I told Walter Sabatini he was becoming a poison and I wanted him gone, and Rudi and Walter agreed. It wasn’t about the money; it was about having character in our locker room. We are in a very sound financial position. As owners of Roma, we make difficult decisions all the time. As a fan of Roma, I am deeply disappointed that one of our players could act this way.

http://www.asroma.it/en/news/statement_by_james_pallotta_september_8/

Wow.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
tumblr_inline_n168o42qhj1rt6qr4.gif

I wonder what James Palotta did when they promised Benatia a raise if Roma did well last season? Oh yes, he went back on his words, but this is for sure gonna be entertaining :tito:

Home of Barca Fans