Memphis Depay

Bobo32

Thanks for the warnings! If an autistic canadian obsessed with xG stats but unable to interpret them threatens me in any way for highlighting Depays terrible performances, then I might have to reconsider and stop posting!
But I think I'll continue!

I am not being picky with the stats but reporting the same ones over and over; simple success percentages on basic stuff like passing, shooting and dribbling.
Shots on target is a pretty good percentage for Depay, very much better than ever before in his carreer (best one before was 44,1%) but on the other hand his goals per shot is pretty terrible... Some of these shots were alibi shots, straight into the hands of the keeper.

I don't think Messi is the one to compare Depay with, and as can be seen he is extremely far away from his stats. Interesting that you think the difference between 65% and 47% isn't that great!

If you want to talk about xG and xA, Depay is at the moment the sixth player of FC Barcelona in xA/90mins, and the fourth player in xG/90min, this DESPITE him playing with the risk that he does.

The best way to lie is not by commission, but by omission

Just for the context then:

Messi 20/21 - all competitions:
Shot on target percentage: 45.5% (career total also 45.6%)
Pass success: 82.3 %
Dribble success: 65.1 %
Receiving: 85.7%

Yeah, these are the numbers of Messi last season just for the people who fall for your propaganda, and thought for instance that 54% on target is bad, or that 47.4 is too low

Plus, I have warned you several times that you are purposefully (to strengthen your propaganda) avoiding the particular stats that show how useful Depay is for Barca, like shot-creating actions, goal-creating actions, xA, and the most advanced that you won't find easily like xT(threat)

Rory

Bobo why you always using people's nationality as part of the insult? Barcaforum is people all around the world. Won't warn you again.

Birdy

Thanks for the warnings! If an autistic canadian obsessed with xG stats but unable to interpret them threatens me in any way for highlighting Depays terrible performances, then I might have to reconsider and stop posting!
But I think I'll continue!

I am not being picky with the stats but reporting the same ones over and over; simple success percentages on basic stuff like passing, shooting and dribbling.
Shots on target is a pretty good percentage for Depay, very much better than ever before in his carreer (best one before was 44,1%) but on the other hand his goals per shot is pretty terrible... Some of these shots were alibi shots, straight into the hands of the keeper.

I don't think Messi is the one to compare Depay with, and as can be seen he is extremely far away from his stats. Interesting that you think the difference between 65% and 47% isn't that great!

If you want to talk about xG and xA, Depay is at the moment the sixth player of FC Barcelona in xA/90mins, and the fourth player in xG/90min, this DESPITE him playing with the risk that he does.

Reporting the same ones over and over is part of your agenda to create false impressions.
That's what I am taking a stand against
That's why I warned you, not that I will do anything to you (lol :lol:), but to make everyone here know that the simplistic stats you throw, have been answered already multiple times, but you keep throwing them without any elaboration or explanation on them,
as if pass succ% proves something by itself.

As for Messi comparison, well
the GOAT in dribbling had a 65% last season,
so no the 47 Depay has is not low considering how much the player that can dribble better than anyone records

And that's a good instance of your propaganda machine.
By not giving the context (as Messi's number -> the number of the best dribbler ever sets the ceiling in that category), you let it hang there that Depay is not a good dribbler, because 47 does not look that good in the eyes of someone who does not know.

I am sure, before posting, you looked at Depay stats, and thought "well, let's find a % that looks really low to throw in there to make an impression on those BF fools"

Finally, xG and xA depend on the whole team.
But, why don't you disclose who has higher xG/90 than Memphis?
Maybe because you are afraid that will expose your propaganda?

PS: Dude what are you talking about? I am not canadian
Who is autistic and who is not, let the others judge

Last edited:

Bobo32

As for Messi comparison, well
the GOAT in dribbling had a 65% last season,
so no the 47 Depay has is not low considering how much the player that can dribble better than anyone records

And that's a good instance of your propaganda machine.
By not giving the context (as Messi's number -> the number of the best dribbler ever sets the ceiling in that category), you let it hang there that Depay is not a good dribbler, because 47 does not look that good in the eyes of someone who does not know.

I am sure, before posting, you looked at Depay stats, and thought "well, let's find a % that looks really low to throw in there to make an impression on those BF fools"

You can follow my posts and see what I focused on from the beginning. I added a recieving percentage this time as I first noticed that stat now, and it highlights his terrible performance.
Let's instead of comparing to Messi (who never were below 60% in dribble success rate) compare Depay to the rest of FC Barcelona this season: 21 players attempted dribbles this season, only Gavi, Fati, Lenglet and Emerson (the last two only attempting one dribble, failing) are on a lower success rate than Depay. Last season saw only Firpo and Alba have a worse dribble percentage than Depay now, and the median were way over 60%, that 47% is terrible.

Finally, xG and xA depend on the whole team.
But, why don't you disclose who has higher xG/90 than Memphis?
Maybe because you are afraid that will expose your propaganda?

You are the one bringing up xG stats: show something that puts Depay in a better light then!
Better xA/90: Braithwaite, Lenglet, F de Jong, Dest, Alba
Better xG/90: L de Jong, Braithwaite, Roberto

I don't think it shows that much though, but if a player gets to play in almost a free role, shoots double the amount of the next player, takes all corners and free kicks, plays with a risk so high that his pass success rate is 72,8% (when pretty much every other player is above 80%) you would think that he'd be crushing both xG and xA, as well as actual goals and assists.

PS: I guess you are american then, you write like a canadian.

Messigician

You can follow my posts and see what I focused on from the beginning. I added a recieving percentage this time as I first noticed that stat now, and it highlights his terrible performance.
Let's instead of comparing to Messi (who never were below 60% in dribble success rate) compare Depay to the rest of FC Barcelona this season: 21 players attempted dribbles this season, only Gavi, Fati, Lenglet and Emerson (the last two only attempting one dribble, failing) are on a lower success rate than Depay. Last season saw only Firpo and Alba have a worse dribble percentage than Depay now, and the median were way over 60%, that 47% is terrible.

You are the one bringing up xG stats: show something that puts Depay in a better light then!

I don't think it shows that much though, but if a player gets to play in almost a free role, shoots double the amount of the next player, takes all corners and free kicks, plays with a risk so high that his pass success rate is 72,8% (when pretty much every other player is above 80%) you would think that he'd be crushing both xG and xA, as well as actual goals and assists.

PS: I guess you are american then, you write like a canadian.
You need to calm down

Bobo32

You need to calm down

Do you think so, why?
I am very calmly presenting statistics of this terrible player playing terribly so far this season. I think these stats shouldn't be lost inbetween too many one-liners!

I might take some time to go a bit deeper and look for stats where Depay really is an outlier. As I said, I only posted the most basic stats and success percentages, and Birdy there immediately thought I posted them all only because I thought they were terrible - no shots on goal was actually decent, it's only the other ones that were terrible! But if we take a look into for example defensive contribution stats, you would really want me to calm down I am sure!

Birdy

You just proved without knowing it why looking at % alone is misleading.
If a player rarely attempts to dribble, there is a good chance he will have a pretty high % success rate.
I bet Busi's % is very high, as he rarely dribbles, and when he does, it is most of the time successful.

That's why we have to look at the right numbers combined.
That's why it's part of propaganda to throw in a % without accompanying with the number attempted, and fist and foremost, the context.

Actually everyone with some active mental capacities can understand that if the assist-monsters of Braithwate and Lenglet have more xA/90, then this must be telling sth about Depay LOL :lol:
Same for Luuk, Braith, and Roberto on xG/90

And just to make it plain to you,
If passes from the whole team end up on Roberto coming from the right wing or md, and he takes a shot once every game from a good position, then he has higher xG/90 than Depay who attempts many shots from many positions.
Is that significant? No, because the guy takes max 1-2 shots per game, and in many games he will take 0 shots

Same for the match against Bayern at home, when you were boasting that the xG chain showing Roberto higher than anyone else supposedly proves something (which even you didn't know that it was).
When I showed to you that this means NOTHING, as he simply touched the ball in more sequences than others, but his touches were trivial (if not hampering the team), then you had nothing to say...

That's why you have to interpret the numbers, not just throw them...

That's what I am always doing by the way, no matter if people misunderstood it.
People think i just throw the xG sume scoreline of a game, but I always do it together with the shot-map that is AS, if not more, important
and always mention if a team managed to make any clear chances
OR evaluate chances that some might think were great (like Demb's header against Atleti), but the stat shows you they were not so great

Bobo32

You just proved without knowing it why looking at % alone is misleading.
If a player rarely attempts to dribble, there is a good chance he will have a pretty high % success rate.
I bet Busi's % is very high, as he rarely dribbles, and when he does, it is most of the time successful.

That's why we have to look at the right numbers combined.
That's why it's part of propaganda to throw in a % without accompanying with the number attempted, and fist and foremost, the context.

No, there is a low chance that his number will be representative. Both those on 100% and those on 0% (2/4 of those below him in the dribble stat didn't attempt more than one dribble)
Depay has foolishly tried enough already that his number can be compared to players over last season for example.

Actually everyone with some active mental capacities can understand that if the assist-monsters of Braithwate and Lenglet have more xA/90, then this must be telling sth about Depay LOL :lol:
Same for Luuk, Braith, and Roberto on xG/90
These assist monsters have created more assists per minute than Depay so far. Lenglet won't keep doing it, but so far Depay produced very little, and Braithwaite had better numbers over last season too.
Maybe Depay will raise his numbers a bit, let's hope so, because so far there is extremely little end product to all his attempts, it's pretty insane.
And just to make it plain to you,
If passes from the whole team end up on Roberto coming from the right wing or md, and he takes a shot once every game from a good position, then he has higher xG/90 than Depay who attempts many shots from many positions.
Is that significant? No, because the guy takes max 1-2 shots per game, and in many games he will take 0 shots

Same for the match against Bayern at home, when you were boasting that the xG chain showing Roberto higher than anyone else supposedly proves something (which even you didn't know that it was).
When I showed to you that this means NOTHING, as he simply touched the ball in more sequences than others, but his touches were trivial (if not hampering the team), then you had nothing to say...

That's why you have to interpret the numbers, not just throw them...

That's what I am always doing by the way, no matter if people misunderstood it.
People think i just throw the xG sume scoreline of a game, but I always do it together with the shot-map that is AS, if not more, important
and always mention if a team managed to make any clear chances
OR evaluate chances that some might think were great (like Demb's header against Atleti), but the stat shows you they were not so great

You are extremely unaware of what your numbers say I have to tell, and you also routinely and wrongly claim that your interpretation is 'fact' and stuff like that.
I have already answered a lot of things you bring up here and don't want to do it again now.

behindbrowneyes

[tw]1447639963974070278[/tw]

Memphis has now scored 35 goals for his country, level with Ruud van Nistelrooy. He?s just two behind Arjen Robben and Dennis Bergkamp and 15 off Robin van Persie.
At this rate he'll surpass van Persie and become the all-time leader in goals scored for the national soccer team of the Netherlands.

Stunning.

Birdy

You are extremely unaware of what your numbers say I have to tell, and you also routinely and wrongly claim that your interpretation is 'fact' and stuff like that.
I have already answered a lot of things you bring up here and don't want to do it again now.

No, you haven't, and you once again avoid doing it, like when you swallowed the fact that xGchain did not prove what you wanted it to prove about Roberto.
And just by attacking me ('extremely unaware' and shit) you don't gain any credibility
On the contrary, you lose when you avoid answering when you are cornered.

Mocking about Luuk and Braithwate won't save you.
Because you know that attempting to assist 4 times per month is nothing compared to the times Depay attempts to assist
That's why you are hiding behind the success%, you are smart enough to understand that a player that risks a lot has a lower %
But, why don't we talk about xT a bit?
Why do you avoid going where it hurts the most for Depay haters?
Like that he is head and shoulders above anyone else in this squad in increasing the xT with all his moves??

Lastly, never claimed that an interpretation is a 'fact', but there are more right and more wrong interpretations.
And, for the reasons explained above, your interpretation on Depay is terribly biased and wrong, because the success % says shit in the context, given that he is head and shoulders our most dangerous player, increasing always the xT of the team

Bobo32

No, you haven't, and you once again avoid doing it, like when you swallowed the fact that xGchain did not prove what you wanted it to prove about Roberto.
And just by attacking me ('extremely unaware' and shit) you don't gain any credibility
On the contrary, you lose when you avoid answering when you are cornered.

Mocking about Luuk and Braithwate won't save you.
Because you know that attempting to assist 4 times per month is nothing compared to the times Depay attempts to assist
That's why you are hiding behind the success%, you are smart enough to understand that a player that risks a lot has a lower %
But, why don't we talk about xT a bit?
Why do you avoid going where it hurts the most for Depay haters?
Like that he is head and shoulders above anyone else in this squad in increasing the xT with all his moves??

Lastly, never claimed that an interpretation is a 'fact', but there are more right and more wrong interpretations.
And, for the reasons explained above, your interpretation on Depay is terribly biased and wrong, because the success % says shit in the context, given that he is head and shoulders our most dangerous player, increasing always the xT of the team

I am not mocking anyone but Depay, who creates and scores so little this season, despite attempting so much. You are the one mocking these other players.
I think a player shouldn't attempt to assist or score so much that he ends up with these terrible success rates.
If you want to talk about "xT" you should post the stats, I already asked you to post something that puts him in good light, so go ahead!

And don't bring up that little curiosity about Roberto that I posted long ago in a game thread together with many other curiosities in another thread again. I never put any weight on that, and it gets off topic here. I answered you in the thread back then, it's enough.

Birdy

I am not mocking anyone but Depay, who creates and scores so little this season, despite attempting so much. You are the one mocking these other players.
I think a player shouldn't attempt to assist or score so much that he ends up with these terrible success rates.
If you want to talk about "xT" you should post the stats, I already asked you to post something that puts him in good light, so go ahead!

And don't bring up that little curiosity about Roberto that I posted long ago in a game thread together with many other curiosities in another thread again. I never put any weight on that, and it gets off topic here. I answered you in the thread back then, it's enough.

I have already done that once, when they posted it after the first 3 games:
E_FT-aCWUAQgEVJ

Problem is I am not a Data Analytics employee, so I don't have access to all those databases after each game to post more about what happened after game 3.
I am sure the same pattern continued in xT

But I have other goodies for you that smash the stupid low success% charge against Depay:

1) Top 10 passing combinations of the team based on xT
FAJ5PVXVQAEwYIj

Depay featuring in the - by far- top combination, but also in 3 out of the first 4

2) Here you see with which Barca player our passing sequences end:
FA9nlfmUcBEfqud

Memphis is 2nd behind Alba, but if you look at the analysis of the way the sequences end, you will see that he is the most productive of our end-sequence players,
as he takes a shot or wins a foul proportionately much more than all other players

PS-Bonus on how to use stats:
And here is an example of how someone (either naive or ill-disposed like you) can use a stat to distort reality:
For instance, Sergi Roberto has recorded 90% of successful passed in the opposition box.
A na?ve person would say wow! that's a fantastic stat!
But let's look actually at his passes in some detail:

FA9zLjVUcAsU5mU

Yeah, that's only 4 passes attempted in the opposition box
which is TRAGICALLY LOW, given where he receives the ball, and what a better full-back could do from there
which is less than 5% of his total passes attempted

Home of Barca Fans