Mesut Ozil

Lionheart

Always liked Ozil. Wish him the best for the future. But I, like many others think his move to Arsenal is a step down, not meaning to be disrespectful to the Gunners. I have nothing against them.

Ocelot

Worst transfer in the history of Madrid ? selling a player you bought for 15 Mil for 50 Mil ....``

Madrid are so good in selling players. Albiol 12 million, Gonzalo 40 million and Ozil 50 Million. We lost around 40 million from Ibra after only a year.

Richard.H

Madrid are so good in selling players. Albiol 12 million, Gonzalo 40 million and Ozil 50 Million. We lost around 40 million from Ibra after only a year.

Yeah I have to say RM are very good at selling players.

How in the world did they sell one of the worst defenders in La Liga for 12 mill is beyond me...

It truly makes our team look so crap and leagues behind RM when it comes to transfers.

mazp

Yeah I have to say RM are very good at selling players.

How in the world did they sell one of the worst defenders in La Liga for 12 mill is beyond me...

It truly makes our team look so crap and leagues behind RM when it comes to transfers.

It's not Barca's fault that they usually don't have first team players that want to leave each yr, and the ones that do leave are usually Barca B or fringe/old players, who normally wouldn't have any market value. (Thiago/Yaya Toure being the exceptions of course)All those Madrid players either wanted to leave or we're not counted by the new Manager. So its hard to fault them for that.

El Gato

Villarato!
What are you saying, really?

Did RM actually accept the bid Arsenal placed on Özil? If so, the very fact that RM accepted the bid means they didn't care to keep him because otherwise they would have rejected the bid like we did with Cesc. In that case, Özil had no other options, did he? Could he have refused to leave even though RM had already accepted the bid? how can you be upset that he is leaving?

If anything, I felt Özil's transfer is like Villa's move to Atletico. You woke up in the morning and were told, "Sorry, you are being transferred".

No. The fact that you accept the bid doesn't mean the player is useless to the tactic. It just means he's not replaceable. You have to remember Real does not have a set tactic or the players that will only best suit that particular style like Messi, Xavi and Iniesta do. Also about Cesc, he said he had nothing against leaving, but he didn't want to upset Barcelona. He is a replaceable player like Ozil, at least IMO.

Why would you think Perez wasn't willing to pay his salary like Rosell did with Villa?

suckabov

Lemon curry?
No. The fact that you accept the bid doesn't mean the player is useless to the tactic. It just means he's not replaceable. You have to remember Real does not have a set tactic or the players that will only best suit that particular style like Messi, Xavi and Iniesta do. Also about Cesc, he said he had nothing against leaving, but he didn't want to upset Barcelona. He is a replaceable player like Ozil, at least IMO.

Why would you think Perez wasn't willing to pay his salary like Rosell did with Villa?
I see your point, but was he really leaving completely of his own accord (honest question)? From all that has happened, it seems like the managemant wasn't exactly upset about letting go, to say the least. I've never said they forced him out, but it's not like Özil got cold feet, Arsenal made a bid and Real accepted it with a heavy heart. It takes two to tango.

But anyways, I still don't understand what is so laughable about his motivations. It seems perfectly reasonable to me.

As for replaceability, hardly any player is irreplacable for Real Madrid, but it remains to be seen whether or not Real can replace him this season and in the next seasons. Isco is looking good, but what impact Özil's departure will have is still written in the stars.

Cesc, when did he say that? Only today he said he wanted to retire at Barcelona.

El Gato

Villarato!
http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/european-football/13811-ozil-i-want-to-retire-at-real-madrid.php

I know he's far from a canterano, but Raul said that too for the sake of an argument. Retirement statement is not something meaningful these days. As for Cesc, I read reports from Independent I believe. Sure, reports are reports, but Cesc is far from an irreplaceable player. Espesh with Rosell steering the club and Xaviesta still being the offense centerpieces.

As for the former point, if he didn't leave of his own accord, what would Perez gain from it? Money that doesn't need? Salary he doesn't mind paying? There were players he was willing to sell more than he was with Ozil i.e. Coentrao. That's of course if it was a must-sell situation.

What would Ancelotti gain from it? He'd get rid of a terrific player he wouldn't use in rotation or in case of injuries? There has to be an issue of Ozil's player ego being involved, because otherwise it doesn't make sense from a management point of view. He was an asset, but not the kind of asset that you would not try to make money off of if the right offer came by. And in this case it did.

Last edited:

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Ha, I hadn't known about that interview you posted. Well, it seems like he truly wanted to suceed at Madrid, but not take the risk of being 'wasted' on the bench in a world cup year. Was he a guaranteed starter, he'd probably have never left Real, since I reckon he prefers being a starter for Real than for Arsenal, still. Personally (and as someone who wouldn't mind him performing well in the world cup), I completely understand/support it and think it's a wise move for him. But I understand that that's not the sort of attitude a Real supporter wants and that, from a Madridista point of view, he's not "Real material" when he doesn't want to fight for a spot (similar to what some people thought about Thiago). I still can't help the feeling this all has some bitter after-taste, though.

Anyway, I'm still not convinced this might not come back to roost for Real. But that's how I feel about the whole Bale deal, so this season should be interesting.

Last edited:

ViscaBarca914

BLASPHEMY!
I certainly won't be missing him in the Classico's....he always seems to turn it up against us. I'm still so surprised they let him go over Di Maria. I would be livid if I was a Madrid fan :lol:

suckabov

Lemon curry?
From the Telegraph:
After months of on-off negotiations, the club’s chief executive, Ivan Gazidis, was made aware on Saturday that Real Madrid would be willing to sell Mesut Özil for £42 million.

The problem, however, was that Özil himself had always seen his future at Madrid and would need some convincing. Wenger immediately broke off from his preparations for Sunday’s north London derby, dialled Özil’s phone number and, after a series of lengthy conversations in German, was quietly confident that the deal had been done.

:messi:

impeh

Hi, its me..
they said on revista he was waiting for a call from united, but as they went for Herrera (and messed that up) it never happened and he ended up at arsenal.

Home of Barca Fans