Nelson Semedo

xXKonan

I seen a lot of mixed opinions on Lindelof before his move to United. some say he's good and some say he's been bang average for Benfica for most of the 2016/17 season. going by his performances in preseason with United, he didn't look good at all. It's preseason obviously but I guess those performances then made Mou leave him out of the squad for a time period.

Either way Benfica will be missing Semedo-Ederson-Lindelof this season. There replacements for Semedo are.

Andre Almeida-Who's pretty much a utility player.

Douglas-Not much to be said

Pedro Pereira-Originally a Benfica youth product, left for Sampdoria and was decent over there. came back and he has been awful.

Reading the Benfica forums has been interesting to say the least.

Wick

I had my reasons. Many players way better than him failed when going abroad from Portugal. Your proper arguments were not convincing at all because most of you never seen him play.

Your "reasons" were nothing but nonsensical and unsubstantiated claims. You wouldn't listen despite people explaining to you how wrong you were. Furthermore, when people actually said they had seen plenty of Semedo you'd still dismiss their arguments, who were far better than yours.

Anyway, I'm happy Semedo is proving your ignorant ass wrong. Hate when people like yourself generalize players based on their past clubs instead of actually looking at their play and quality. Quality which Semedo clearly had irrespective of where he played. If anything, you are the one who hasn't seen his play enough before he joined Barca.

raki

Your "reasons" were nothing but nonsensical and unsubstantiated claims. You wouldn't listen despite people explaining to you how wrong you were. Furthermore, when people actually said they had seen plenty of Semedo you'd still dismiss their arguments, who were far better than yours.

Anyway, I'm happy Semedo is proving your ignorant ass wrong. Hate when people like yourself generalize players based on their past clubs instead of actually looking at their play and quality. Quality which Semedo clearly had irrespective of where he played. If anything, you are the one who hasn't seen his play enough before he joined Barca.

I watched every game you moron. Since when playing in a minor league means you´re suited for Barça?

Mathieu is doing great at the moment. Just another fact that proves my point.

xXKonan

Beware the Mendes hype machine as well. I think the best example of this recently has to be Renato Sanches, who while had a good season with Benfica and a good showing at the euros was hyped up like crazy and a lot of teams wanted him due to that, he went for a decent amount of money only to rot on the bench and when he played he didn't look good at all at Bayern.

Primeira Liga is like eredivisie and Ligue 1 as well at least to me when it comes to scouting talent. the three leagues you can find some good gems but you have to be careful as you are likely to get a huge dud out of it as well. but that can be said for a lot of leagues I guess.

Ever since we got Semedo I have been getting more and more interested in Benfica in general and some of the talent they have coming through from their B team. they have some interesting prospects there.

xXKonan

I don't think it was even Mendes who hyped him up though lol
I probably misremembered it then. I remember the hype for Sanches though was ridiculous after his Euros performances.

Back to Semedo, when you watch him play he just looks so smooth. Not sure if it's his posture most of the time but everything he has the ball and he's running with it it just looks so smooth. I never got that feeling with the likes of Roberto and Vidal.

Some say he reminds you of Abidal. that would be pretty neat if he was our Shorter-RB version of Abidal with a mix of Alves here and there.

slbfan

The main argument was all the failures from the PT league that go abroad. Most of them fail. The Benfica players are the most hyped because the press is for them. You have to live in PT to understand. Therefore i always have a lot of doubts when a big club signs a PT league player for a load of money. Of any club. Porto players have also failed but they have less mindless hype.

Sanches, Gaitan, Lindelof, Garay, Mangala, Jackson Martinez, Fernando, Javi Garcia and many others have failed. Some have prevailed like AlexSandro, James, Falcao.

I had to register just to reply to this nonsense. I lived in Portugal for a long time and I don't get what exactly are you saying. I certainly don't like your very selective memory when pointing the players that suceeded in other leagues. But I will help you.

1 - Jan Oblak - Atletico Madrid sign him from Benfica and won the league with him, already one of the top GK in the world.

2 - David Luiz - From Benfica to Chelsea, he was crucial for them, won the Champions League, went to PSG and came back to Chelsea to win the league.

3 - Ramires - Similar to David Luiz, went to Chelsea where he was a key player for several years.

4 - Nemanja Matic - Again from Benfica to Chelsea, one of the top defensive midfielders in the world, won 2 leagues in the Premier already.

5 - Di Maria - Signed from Real Madrid, one of the best wingers in the world and a key player for them before being transfered to Man Utd.

6 - Bernardo Silva - Became one of the top players of the Ligue 1 and won the league with Monaco. Guardiola made very clear that he wanted him at Man City.

7 - Andre Gomes - Did well at Valencia and won him the move to Barcelona. I know he is not doing great but this has hardly anything to do with the portuguese league or Benfica, because he proved himself in Spain.

So here you have 7 players that were transfered from Benfica to other leagues and proved to be great players. Still to be proven good or bad we have Semedo (who is on the right track to success), Ederson (also doing well) and Lindelof (not doing great and will probably flop) .

How many big transfers failed? Coentrao (30M), Enzo Perez (30M), Rodrigo (30M), Javi Garcia (22M), Gaitan (30M), Guedes (30M), Markovic (25M) and so far also Renato Sanches (35M).

It seems we have a 50% success ratio. I would argue that some of the players that fail in other leagues are because of themselves or because it was just a bad move for their careers. For example Gaitan is not Simeone material, he is not agressive and although he has great ability, he wouldn't fit in any team. He would probably have more success in Barcelona than Atletico. Rodrigo went to Valencia and manager decided that we was going to be a winger. He did a great season at Benfica as a striker, not winger, also he is a type of player that needs to be looked after, psycologically he is not very strong. Guedes and Markovic left way too early.

Renato left Benfica with 18 years old to one of the most stable and strong teams in the world. He floped, but he is now 19 years old, not 30. He only played 6 months in Benfica first team before the Euro and then the transfer. The hype was justified, he was crucial in winning the league and the Euro, was named golden boy and this is one classic example of all the big teams in Europe wanting to be the first ones to bite the bullet. It happenned with Sanches, could be with any other kid in France, Italy, etc.

What you did is not fair. I could pick a few players that Benfica signed from Spain like Jimenez for 22M (never managed to secure a place in the first team) or Roberto (8.5M) one of the worst GK in our history althoug on the season before he was named for the team of the season in La Liga, and use these players to argue that all the players that come from Spain are rubish and will be terribe. But it is not true, all leagues have good and bad players, it's just a matter of being honest.

As for Semedo and because the topic is about him, I trully believe he will be one of the best right backs in the world and he will prove himself until the end of the season. I actually think he can be the best right back in the world for years to come, not only because he is great, but also because there arent' that many great right backs at the moment, not like Dani Alves, Lahm, Zanetti or Cafu. It is still to be seen how important Semedo can be with confidence, his dribling ability is fenomenal.

Horatio

You're welcome
The only thing I feel is a waste is that Semedo actually seems to be one of the more technical and faster players. With some of his runs I just think, why don't you continue beat one opponent and you can actually score a goal. But that's not his job...

xXKonan

Out of the two starting Fullbacks Alba-Semedo, Semedo will very likely end up being the superior one in terms of pure technical quality etc. Semedo at times is still being cautious which isn't to surprising as he's new here but over the course of the season he will eventually start to show more of his technical ability when he fully gels with the team.

Valverde is trying to balance the way our Fullbacks make their runs. which is good because if we have our two Fullbacks making yolo runs at the same time and we lose the ball our CB's get exposed and yeah...

jairzinho

The only thing I feel is a waste is that Semedo actually seems to be one of the more technical and faster players. With some of his runs I just think, why don't you continue beat one opponent and you can actually score a goal. But that's not his job...

Once his confidence continues to grow i think he'll begin to take on opponents and score goals. His speed and ball control are the most obvious attributes that jump out at me when i see him play.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Once his confidence continues to grow i think he'll begin to take on opponents and score goals. His speed and ball control are the most obvious attributes that jump out at me when i see him play.

Fullbacks score goals very rarely. Even if they can shoot or finish well. Simply not their job.

JamDav1982

If Valverde carries on with these tactics Semedo will most likely not be bombing on in final third too often.

The width on the right will be taken more by a wide player and Semedo will be more reserved in getting forward than Alba on other side who is more or less a wing back.

Similar to the way it used to be with Alves being like a winger and Abidal more reserved think is way it will go for a while yet.

Altomonte

let's just be happy that buying Semedo was a good decision. We got Umtiti and we got Semedo, both have potential to be very special for our team

Home of Barca Fans