Neymar - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
Sorry to hurt you with the facts but Hipster is now a trend. So yes, people can turn hipsters by following the Hipster trend. I can give you a full guide line on how to live a Hipster lifestyle in Toronto from top to bottom and I am not even Hipster. I am Hip, just not stir.

Initially, what Nolan said.

Furthermore, the 'fact' that being a 'hipster' is a trend in no way correlates with what hipsters actually are both as a group and individuals. I see it this way, that if you dress up trendy (some might even say fashionable), wear a pair of vintage glasses and ride either a single-speed bike or any other bike of the aforementioned type deemed trendy, you merely follow what's popular without any personal affection for the whole counter-culture movement in itself. You simply take out bits and pieces, which fit your distinctive purpose, but neglect the other parts because you either do not understand them or for the simple reason that they are not trendy.

While there is nothing wrong with that it still does not make you a hipster, and that's where the crux of the matter lies in. Hipsters are a production of counter-culture; they are the, to quote Arthur O'Shaugnessy, "the dreamers of dreams, wandering by lone sea-breakers and sitting by desolate streams;— World-losers and world-forsakers, on whom the pale moon gleams: yet the movers and shakers, of the world forever it seems."

Hipsters are the people of underground movements, people that were deemed nerds and losers in their youth, whom were led by their passion for either music, art, computers, technology and / or science (the list is not exhaustive). They are the ones whom were interested in the less popular genres of music, because either the mainstream industry did not offer enough or simply because they never understood it (music-inspired movements are, by the way, quite an enormous part of the counter-culture currently described as hipsters). They are the ones whom created the styles and fashion strokes, which were later found out by the general public en masse (which in turn led to new developments and new ideas, as a response to the mainstream industry.) They are the ones that stayed up all night long partying in abandoned warehouses. Interestingly, a lot of them still do it, because that's a predominant part of their lives.

Now, with the development of social media and web 2.0 in general, it became much easier to obtain a whole lot of things making you hip, original and trendy. The development of such social networks such as facebook, twitter and, say, yelp led to a boom in people becoming more aware of how to dress, what to listen and where to get the latest hot tune by artist X. However, hipsters were never about being hip for the sake of it, or dressing up for the sake of having a certain look that would appear distinctive - they are people, that simply cared about their own distinctive scenes for the sake of their passion or personal taste.

To conclude; yes, you can follow a hipster trend, but that still doesn't make you a hipster. You simply follow a trend, while waiting for the next big thing in line. When the time comes, those having an acquired taste (a learnt trait, so to speak) will jump ship.

Last edited:

Theconomist

Furthermore, the 'fact' that being a 'hipster' is a trend in no way correlates with what hipsters actually are both as a group and individuals. I see it this way, that if you dress up trendy (some might even say fashionable), wear a pair of vintage glasses and ride either a single-speed bike or any other bike of the aforementioned type deemed trendy, you merely follow what's popular without any personal affection for the whole counter-culture movement in itself. You simply take out bits and pieces, which fit your distinctive purpose, but neglect the other parts because you either do not understand them or for the simple reason that they are not trendy.

While there is nothing wrong with that it still does not make you a hipster, and that's where the crux of the matter lies in. Hipsters are a production of counter-culture; they are the, to quote Arthur O'Shaugnessy, "the dreamers of dreams, wandering by lone sea-breakers and sitting by desolate streams;— World-losers and world-forsakers, on whom the pale moon gleams: yet the movers and shakers, of the world forever it seems."

Hipsters are the people of underground movements, people that were deemed nerds and losers in their youth, whom were led by their passion for either music, art, computers, technology and / or science (the list is not exhaustive). They are the ones whom were interested in the less popular genres of music, because either the mainstream industry did not offer enough or simply because they never understood it (music-inspired movements are, by the way, quite an enormous part of the counter-culture currently described as hipsters). They are the ones whom created the styles and fashion strokes, which were later found out by the general public en masse (which in turn led to new developments and new ideas, as a response to the mainstream industry.) They are the ones that stayed up all night long partying in abandoned warehouses. Interestingly, a lot of them still do it, because that's a predominant part of their lives.

Now, with the development of social media and web 2.0 in general, it became much easier to obtain a whole lot of things making you hip, original and trendy. The development of such social networks such as facebook, twitter and, say, yelp led to a boom in people becoming more aware of how to dress, what to listen and where to get the latest hot tune by artist X. However, hipsters were never about being hip for the sake of it, or dressing up for the sake of having a certain look that would appear distinctive - they are people, that simply cared about their own distinctive scenes for the sake of their passion or personal taste.

To conclude; yes, you can follow a hipster trend, but that still doesn't make you a hipster. You simply follow a trend, while waiting for the next big thing in line. When the time comes, those having an acquired taste (a learnt trait, so to speak) will jump ship.

Nice PhD thesis :p .

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire

Deep. Real deep. I don't disgaree with you there on any bit, all I meant that Hipster culture has become mainstream, too mainstream that it has become a trend. That doesn't doesn't mean that counter-culture cannot be adopted though, as people can learn/adopt counter arguing, thinking, and methods. So while someone may start as shallow as buying a fixie bike, put on plaid clothes, and a buy thick framed glasses, there is a big chance that they are consumed by the culture and be fully integrated. What I am also saying is that, by the modern definition, which you may disagree with and argue that the definition never changed, you are a Hipster even if you have jumped onto the ship. In essense they do not meet the culture, however that doesn't mean someone can't counter culture by dressing from independant stores, listening to music by local bands or unsigned artists etc.

Like I said, I am not Hipster, just because I do not identify myself with any particular movement and do not label myself anything because I am a Hip Hop head as I am a nerd engineer as much as a Hipster. But I participated in Hipster culture enough and enjoyed it and know that while it can start off shallow, it can absorb you quickly.

Cule4life

The Culest
5044752_700b.jpg

Meanwhile in the layman world this is the definition of hipster

Neymar_543522971header111.jpg

and maybe this for some :)

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
Deep. Real deep. I don't disgaree with you there on any bit, all I meant that Hipster culture has become mainstream, too mainstream that it has become a trend.

Thanks for the quick reply, Read. I'll try to address a few points, which I picked up from your arguments. Maybe I'm being too narrow in the application of the term, but that's the view I've held for nearly a decade now due to having experienced and lived through most of the things I've described in my earlier post. Just as an example, I find it substantially bizarre that the same people that found me weird and treated me as an outcast in my junior high / high school years, are now consumed by the exact same affections, interests and ideas I was.

While there's nothing inherently good or bad in that (I simply find it hypocritical to an extent), the above people have still acquired their traits through them having become trendy and hip.

That doesn't doesn't mean that counter-culture cannot be adopted though, as people can learn/adopt counter arguing, thinking, and methods. So while someone may start as shallow as buying a fixie bike, put on plaid clothes, and a buy thick framed glasses, there is a big chance that they are consumed by the culture and be fully integrated.

What I am also saying is that, by the modern definition, which you may disagree with and argue that the definition never changed, you are a Hipster even if you have jumped onto the ship. In essense they do not meet the culture, however that doesn't mean someone can't counter culture by dressing from independant stores, listening to music by local bands or unsigned artists etc.

That's my point exactly. There will always be counter-culture, and most often than not, the people riding the wave of the ever-changing counter-culture are by definition hipsters as they are the ones who find, experience and live through those phases. The fact that people are more easily consumed these days by such fashion trends, in no way should take way from the fact that they are still simply following a trend. Now, I do agree that there are those who actually become attached to it and thus become part of the next counter-culture cycle. But in general, these incidents are quite rare due to people being rigid animals in terms of changing ideas, taste and dressing in a certain way when trends die.

For me, a hipster is a sort of a pioneer of his or her fragment of sub-culture. Usually, when such counter-culture receives some attention from a more considerable part of the population, it gradually starts losing its originality; thence, a new cycle begins. To tell you the truth, these cycles just have become more frequent due to the development of social networks and webpages such as tumblr and pinterest.

To make this whole jargon a bit more relevant to the topic itself, you should bear in mind that the whole discussion spurred from barcanuck stating that Neymar and Dani have turned into such hipsters. However, I hold the statement untrue and unsound simply due to the lifestyle of footballers who rarely acquire more meaningful traits of a certain style - it's mostly superficial.

Last edited:

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
Thanks for the quick reply, Read. I'll try to address a few points, which I picked up from your arguments. Maybe I'm being too narrow in the application of the term, but that's the view I've held for nearly a decade now due to having experienced and lived through most of the things I've described in my earlier post. Just as an example, I find it substantially bizarre that the same people that found me weird and treated me as an outcast in my junior high / high school years, are now consumed by the exact same affections, interests and ideas I was.

While there's nothing inherently good or bad in that (I simply find it hypocritical to an extent), the above people have still acquired their traits through them having become trendy and hip.

That's my point exactly. There will always be counter-culture, and most often than not, the people riding the wave of the ever-changing counter-culture are by definition hipsters as they are the ones who find, experience and live through those phases. The fact that people are more easily consumed these days by such fashion trends, in no way should take way from the fact that they are still simply following a trend. Now, I do agree that there are those who actually become attached to it and thus become part of the next counter-culture cycle. But in general, these incidents are quite rare due to people being rigid animals in terms of changing ideas, taste and dressing in a certain way when trends die.

For me, a hipster is a sort of a pioneer of his or her fragment of sub-culture. Usually, when such counter-culture receives some attention from a more considerable part of the population, it gradually starts losing its originality; thence, a new cycle begins. To tell you the truth, these cycles just have become more frequent due to the development of social networks and webpages such as tumblr and pinterest.

To make this whole jargon a bit more relevant to the topic itself, you should bear in mind that the whole discussion spurred from barcanuck stating that Neymar and Dani have turned into such hipsters. However, I hold the statement untrue and unsound simply due to the lifestyle of footballers who rarely acquire more meaningful traits of a certain style - it's mostly superficial.

I would love to reply to this, but I am suffering from Chinese food syndrome. My hands are shaking and trembling. One day, when I wake up from the Coma that will hit me in the next 10 minutes, I will reply to this. But I want you to know that...

-coma struck earlier than expected-

89Norcal

I would love to reply to this, but I am suffering from Chinese food syndrome. My hands are shaking and trembling. One day, when I wake up from the Coma that will hit me in the next 10 minutes, I will reply to this. But I want you to know that...

-coma struck earlier than expected-

Orange Chicken is worth the coma if you ask me.

Neymar voted Best South American Player by El Pais. 50 goals scored in the 2012 calendar year.

http://www.sambafoot.com/en/news/40964_neymar_voted_best_player_in_south_america_2012_-_el_pais.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans