Neymar - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jadentheman

Yes, I do have faith in current management to retain the current work ethic, but look at what happened over the past couple of months; that extra 10% effort was lacking, so the cancer can germinate at any moment. And it is usually when you are at your most successful.

Re Ronaldo - I know he had injury issues, but that was at Inter, before his move to Real after WC 2002. He was a wonderful striker, but let the decline enter his game prematurely, the rim of the glass closer to his lips than the words 'I want to be the best'.

There is a real problem with Brasilian football at the moment. The economy is excellent, they have the two biggest sporting events on the horizon, but their football is in poor health. (It's due to this strong economy that Santos have kept hold of Neymar this long; a few years ago he would have left long ago....)

For the first time in a long time none of the best players in the world are brasilian. Their national team selection is riddled, beleaguered, with romanticism. Look at the appointment of Scolari, the last man to coach brasil to world cup. Ronaldinho and Kaka, has-beens, keep getting picked. Carlos Alberto Parreira, who won in 1994, was their coach in 2006 during that farce.

One of the admirable qualities of Spain over the past 8 years has been its refusal to look backwards.

The argument is now they can keep their best players (like Neymar) and stay in Brazil. These players can achieve, but they can't because they are not playing in Europe. As for Neymar partying is normal and nice to blow off some stress. As long as he isn't excessively doing it then it won't effect him much.

misterplatin

What about Romario, Cafu, Rivaldo etc.

Cant juts pick a few examples and generalise about all Brazilians.

yes , because that decline of an individual is due to his own lack of effort.It can happen with anyone - Argentine,Brazilian or Nigerian. The problem is that many of those Brazilian greats mentioned did not have the level of work ethic of current Messi/Cristiano . We don't know what will happen to these 2 as even they might lose passion for game or desire to become the best but for now they just keep trying to be better footballers .

JamDav1982

yes , because that decline of an individual is due to his own lack of effort.It can happen with anyone - Argentine,Brazilian or Nigerian. The problem is that many of those Brazilian greats mentioned did not have the level of work ethic of current Messi/Cristiano . We don't know what will happen to these 2 as even they might lose passion for game or desire to become the best but for now they just keep trying to be better footballers .

You could just as easily name a number of Brazilians that played at a high level to a high age.

Name any country in the world and could real off talents that lost their way.

Armando929

The signing of Neymar does present tremendous commercial possibilities. We'd sell a ton of shirts etc. My concern, however, is that this is the chief source of the Barca administration's interest.

From a sporting perspective I have my doubts over his compatibility with current squad, not to mention his suspiciously poor work ethic, a key characteristic of current, and hopefully all future, barca teams.

All these little crappy tricks and flicks are the properties of show ponies, nothing but decorations, reminiscent of Ronaldinho in his tragic, and less 'less motivated', days.

I think it is everyone's principle concern that the poor work ethic will poison the squad.

I have nothing against Brasilians, they are, and have been over the past 70 years, some of the most talented footballers in the world, but recent history suggest there are issues with their industry on and off the pitch.

Ronaldo - over by 2003, aged 27

Kaka - over by 2008, aged 26

Ronaldinho - over by 2007, aged 27

Robinho - over before began

Adriano - over by 2006, 24ish

I think the issue is that because they possess the X factor, the difference, the reason a team can get through to the next round where before it looked impossible, the management lets them get away with slacking, with turning up late for training, partying. Romario was the same. They are lazy.

Messi, the moment he doesn't work hard, will decline steeply. Pep was the reason Deco and Ronnie, the slackers, were shown the door to places where complacency and relaxation is allowed, even welcomed, like at Milan.

This post wasn't meant to this long. sorry :D

In the case of Kaka, it was injuries that really destroyed his career. Ronaldo was undisciplined yet did keep producing at a high level later on.

Ronaldinho, Robinho, and Adriano were all talented head cases.

Rijkaard's Barcelona for Neymar would be alright because Frank was very laid back(Too laid back) and let the players get away with anything. Pep was the antithesis of that and I think Ronnie and Deco knew that the gig was up, and thats why they left.

Neymar has alot of people excited and I think the reason management wants him is to prevent Real Madrid from getting him. But I don't think he has Barca DNA. He won't track back and press defenders, and he won't have the work ethic that is expected of him. I mean Pique has given management problems from time to time showing up late, and what not. I can only imagine the problems Neymar would cause.

oz187

That's impressive for a 21 year old. Most of his attacking play was very direct and aggressive. He wasn't doing 6 step overs and then falling down. He was bursting past players. That requires speed and acceleration, in other words good physical attributes. The highlight was at 5:43 where he chases down the midfielder and wins the ball, then runs to the byline and plays a low cross for the striker to score. I can imagine Villa getting on the end of plays like that.

People question his work ethic, but is that just stereotyping him because he's Brazilian? There's times in that video where he's self inulgent, but that's what you'd expect from any player with ability. It took years for even Messi to learn how to use his abilities efficiently.

Kerrybai

In the case of Kaka, it was injuries that really destroyed his career. Ronaldo was undisciplined yet did keep producing at a high level later on.

Ronaldinho, Robinho, and Adriano were all talented head cases.

Rijkaard's Barcelona for Neymar would be alright because Frank was very laid back(Too laid back) and let the players get away with anything. Pep was the antithesis of that and I think Ronnie and Deco knew that the gig was up, and thats why they left.

Neymar has alot of people excited and I think the reason management wants him is to prevent Real Madrid from getting him. But I don't think he has Barca DNA. He won't track back and press defenders, and he won't have the work ethic that is expected of him. I mean Pique has given management problems from time to time showing up late, and what not. I can only imagine the problems Neymar would cause.

What is this based on? Has he ignored orders at Santos to track back and press defenders?

Jadentheman

Usually he does track back (maybe too far) when he plays for Brazil. I am more worried about Ronaldinho pressing constantly then Neymar

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
It's a stereotype to generalize all Brazilians saying that they burn out at a young age and are all undisciplined. Not all of them are like that. However that being said, which group is Neymar closer and more similar to? The partying and undisciplined Ronaldinho-esque players? Or the more disciplined and ambitious Romario-esque players? A lot of early signs show that Neymar does not take things that seriously and that his career will get a serious kick in the ass if he doesn't change soon, which I doubt he will. Too much hype and ego at this young of an age can be carved into his brain for his entire life and alter the way he sees football. So far he seems to be more of an icon and a showman than an actual dedicated and hardworking footballer who aims to improve greatly.

JamDav1982

It's a stereotype to generalize all Brazilians saying that they burn out at a young age and are all undisciplined. Not all of them are like that. However that being said, which group is Neymar closer and more similar to? The partying and undisciplined Ronaldinho-esque players? Or the more disciplined and ambitious Romario-esque players? A lot of early signs show that Neymar does not take things that seriously and that his career will get a serious kick in the ass if he doesn't change soon, which I doubt he will. Too much hype and ego at this young of an age can be carved into his brain for his entire life and alter the way he sees football. So far he seems to be more of an icon and a showman than an actual dedicated and hardworking footballer who aims to improve greatly.

What behaviour of Nermar are you referring to?

To dismiss him as an 'icon and a showman' is ignorant to the extreme. He is going to be one of the best players in the world..... probably there already.

ViscaBarca914

BLASPHEMY!
No he isn't. Not even close. Needs a few more years to be called elite. But performing in Europe will certainly help. And if he does end up playing for us it should fast track his growth.

F

Flavia

Romario disciplined? His partying style put dinho's to shame. He was notorious for sneaking out to party.
Romario also hated to train. A quote from him: "I wasn't an athlete. If I had taken a disciplined life as one, I would have scored many more goals, but I don't know if I'd be as happy".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans