Neymar - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamDav1982

He isnt regressing at all.

His goals in 2012 doubled compared to 2011 and his assists increased also.

Some people showing examples of poor games means nothing, every player has that even Messi.

misterplatin

I hope you're joking. Ronaldinho? Kaka?

It is just my opinion as I followed a few brazilian talents since Ronaldo .I don't think anyone reached the heights of Ronaldo but Neymar is the closest in terms of raw talent and promise .
Copying some stats from wiki if it supports my opinion .These are the total appearances and goals scored by Neymar ,R10 and Kaka only in Brazilain top division and continental cups by the age of 21. All 3 were in Brazil by that age .

Neymar : apps- 131 ,goals - 69

Ronaldinho : apps - 71 ,goals - 26

Kaka : apps - 64 ,goals - 23

Couldn't find assist stat but I don't want to take the discussion to stats .

Anderson won the Tuttosport's golden boy award in 2008 and was way ahead of many current players like Busquets, Bale, Mata , Oezil etc .The same award that recognized Messi, Rooney,Cesc and Aguero before him. Off course it is a totally different thing what the player does with his talent and if he fulfills the promise .Only the player knows if he has the ambition to be the best . As fans we can just comment on talent .

F

Flavia

I wouldn't say he's already regressing, but Neymar's stalled. He needs to take it to the next level. This will be clear on the confederations cup. I really hope brazil faces spain at some point.

Barca2211

I don't believe it's possible to regress at 21. Either way, I still believe he's over-rated.

He is definitely overrated a bit, with that said he will get no better paying in Brazil. I think if he doesn't leave this year it will hurt his progression. He needs to come now because it will take him awhile to adjust to Europe. The games I have watched this year he does not play with the determination he did a year ago, I think he is getting bored of the competition just a little bit.

Robbie

You guys are all talking about progression, but that's really the reason he has stalled -- isn't it? In Brazil, he's called the next Pele, already being compared with Messi, and is on astronomical money. Something like 20 million when you add in endorsements. In Brazil, he isn't a prospect. He's already the best.

Did Zidane have a 20 million deal when he was 20? Did Xavi? Did Messi? No. They all had to fight for it, and got to progress and improve the right way. Neymar is relaxing and having a good time in Brazil while the likes of Goetze, Hazard, Isco, etc are facing the strongest possible competition to raise their games, week in and week out. When 2014 hits, he'll still be a big fish in a small pond doing 50 million stepovers and walking the ball into the net in the Brazilian league. But he'll also still be useless against any European side. He won't have the luxury of years of having to face these types of defenders. Then the hype will all come crashing down when Brazil gets humiliated on their own turf.

F

Flavia

You guys are all talking about progression, but that's really the reason he has stalled -- isn't it? In Brazil, he's called the next Pele, already being compared with Messi, and is on astronomical money. Something like 20 million when you add in endorsements. In Brazil, he isn't a prospect. He's already the best.

Did Zidane have a 20 million deal when he was 20? Did Xavi? Did Messi? No. They all had to fight for it, and got to progress and improve the right way. Neymar is relaxing and having a good time in Brazil while the likes of Goetze, Hazard, Isco, etc are facing the strongest possible competition to raise their games, week in and week out. When 2014 hits, he'll still be a big fish in a small pond doing 50 million stepovers and walking the ball into the net in the Brazilian league. But he'll also still be useless against any European side. He won't have the luxury of years of having to face these types of defenders. Then the hype will all come crashing down when Brazil gets humiliated on their own turf.
That's a good point. If brazil fails to win the wc, and if he doesn't play decently at the very least, the critics will have a field day on him. If this were to happen, it wouldn't be pretty.
The comparisons with Messi stopped already, the media here have realized he's nowhere near Messi's level. The new tendency is saying he could be one of the best players one day, if he moves to europe.

King Leo

Banned
over-marketing is the reason for Neymar lack of performance these days. Honestly he will hurt himself and Barca should he accept Rosell's deal. I see nothing but a big disaster waiting to happen.

misterplatin

I agree with what is being said here . But that is the point about bringing him to play at Barca . He is a top talent who will develop further with the correct guidance and responsibility .Add to that the challenge to be a top player at Barca and that talent will flourish .

But it seems his Dad controls everything about his pro life and he being a footballer is of the opinion that a footballer should learn in less demanding league till he reaches full potential .

ShandyFFM

Its allmost like every barca dan in this forum dont want neymar because they think he will fail like robinho and will be a disgrace for our club.. and everyone who likes barca but isnt on a forum seems to like him ...

misterplatin

There is a Brazilian saying that the soccer prodigy Neymar and his family often laugh about. The phrase — calça de veludo ou bunda de fora — comes up frequently: when Neymar reminisces about his beginnings in street games in São Vicente, for example, or when someone asks, again, “Are you really better than Messi?” Always, the family returns to calça de veludo ou bunda de fora. And then they all giggle.

The phrase is difficult to translate directly into English. Generally, it has to do with gambling and a man’s soul. It has to do with being brash and bold and brave. It has to do with fortitude and, perhaps more than anything else, an abiding belief in a singular path.

Sitting in a hotel lounge 25 stories above Columbus Circle in Manhattan last month, the star’s father, Neymar Sr., looked out over Central Park and tried his best to explain it. Across the Hudson River, his son was with the Brazilian national team, preparing for a sold-out exhibition match against Argentina and, beyond that, for the Olympics, where he will be the most dynamic player in the competition. At the London Games, with the world’s spotlight squarely on him, Neymar Jr. will seek to earn his country a gold medal, the one major soccer trophy it has never won.

“He is living it right now,” Neymar Sr. said. “That saying we talk about — he is doing it.”

But that was not enough. So Neymar Sr. tried again, through a translator, to summarize the essence of the phrase. His son’s success, he continued, has always been based on risk. On finding the right mix of fast and slow, of possibility and caution.

At 20 years old, Neymar is already the highest-paid soccer player in Brazil. He is the face (and future) of soccer’s South American mecca. He is, in the words of no less than perhaps the greatest player in history, a technical marvel, a wizard with magical feet. But through it all, his father said, this one Brazilian saying has guided him, especially now as the latest question — when will Neymar go to Europe for good? — is asked over and over.

Finally, Neymar Sr. laughed as he settled on the best way to present the idiom. He sat up straight and explained that in life there are, really, only two choices: “A man can either go through life wearing velvet pants,” he said grinning, “or he can go through life with his bare rear end hanging out in the open air.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/10/s...is-at-home-in-brazil.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Sometimes I wonder if he really is on the path that Neymar and his father have decided for him .

ShandyFFM

of course, he does stepovers so he must be the answer.

:rofl1:

Gotze, Wilshere, El Sharaawy, L Moura, Oscar, Isco, Verratti etc have all proven more than him. How? Because they've actually shown they can do in Europe

Cmon this is insane... a player with such an immense talent wont do it at the age of 21... all those you did count are european youth players and lucss and oscar are brazilians too and not the strongest players but they did it here... and with barca neymsr will benefit from the style we play for sure

F

Flavia

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/10/s...is-at-home-in-brazil.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Sometimes I wonder if he really is on the path that Neymar and his father have decided for him .

We'd have to know which path is that. Neymar doesn't have that drive Messi, Xavi, cr and many others have. In a sense, everything happened too fast and too easily for him. That can be really bad in the future. But if his goal is to make the most money possible, instead of being one of the best, he's doing great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans