Nico Williams

companyofcules

Ah the charts that Puig fans use also for him.

Nico is clearly the better of the two for what Barca need.
No argument response. The stats are there. Clearly by no metrics except the metrics that make the difference between Barcelona and Bilbao play style. Two average players for huge money.

Maradona37

Yes, but Raphinha brings your more certainty on short term. And the club has to produce now. You don't put all your eggs in one basket, and the basket being two teenagers having a full great season.

The pressure to bring in goals now should be on Lewa and Raphinha, not Yamal, and not Nico if he comes.
I just don't think Raphinha - as a starter - is the calibre of player who can take Barca where they need to be.

Putting aside finances, Williams would be a better long-term bet as is integrating youngsters rather than buying average players for short-termism.

Porque

Raphi is solid but he ain't cutting it on the left. Maybe Flickball could have Olmo on the left and Raphi down the centre though. Could work.

Must be some clubs out there who would fancy him as a starter, most probably in Saudi Arabia though.

serghei

I just don't think Raphinha - as a starter - is the calibre of player who can take Barca where they need to be.

Putting aside finances, Williams would be a better long-term bet as is integrating youngsters rather than buying average players for short-termism.

Where they need to be? I'm very happy to just be snatching a league title, something we already did with Raphinha as a main man.

Where we need to be is not gonna happen next season, or even the season after. Right now is about protecting our short term objectives. To be snatching wins away at Bilbao, Sociedad etc, in times when we will play not so great, we need someone like Raphinha.

Maradona37

Good post

This from has the worst ball knowledge lmao
How is it bad 'ball knowledge' to say Williams has more potential than Raphinha?

Nobody in Europe covets Raphinha. Nobody thinks he's a great player outside Barcaforum. He's a serviceable player but nothing more. I normally agree with company of cules but out of context fbref stats aren't the be all and end all.

I am not saying Williams is the messiah - he could end up being a flash in the pan. But Raphinha is not gonna get much better. He's already 27 or 28.

jamrock

Stats only matters when it's "your" player..

We only deal with facts here, facts are their isn't much between them now, eye test tells us that, but Williams has the far higher ceiling.

And barto ain't running things anymore, where he said it's hard having two Top class players in every position or as many as possible.

We'll move for him next summer, let's move in and enjoy Olmo.

JamDav1982

The 'stats' provided show exactly why would prefer Williams....

That stats compare two players in different teams.

Simple stuff.

What some numpties do is deny stats... I have said Raphinha gets decent stats and can strike a great ball... but dont think he comes close to what likes of Nico brings on left.

serghei

How is it bad 'ball knowledge' to say Williams has more potential than Raphinha?

Nobody in Europe covets Raphinha. Nobody thinks he's a great player outside Barcaforum. He's a serviceable player but nothing more. I normally agree with company of cules but out of context fbref stats aren't the be all and end all.

I am not saying Williams is the messiah - he could end up being a flash in the pan. But Raphinha is not gonna get much better. He's already 27 or 28.

That's fine, he does have more potential than Raphinha. But if Raphinha is gonna, his potential needs to come to fruition instantly. Not 2-3 years from now, but as soon as he signs.

Home of Barca Fans