Nico Williams

Maradona37

That's fine, he does have more potential than Raphinha. But if Raphinha is gonna, his potential needs to come to fruition instantly. Not 2-3 years from now, but as soon as he signs.
True, that is the demand of playing for Barca. In an ideal world he could peak aged 25 or so like a lot of players do. But Barca need instant results.

Nobody is saying he is amazing right now. Just that he's been playing well, not much difference between him and Raphinha, but he's clearly the significantly younger play with the much higher ceiling. He might not reach it though.

If you are saying Raphinha is a safer bet, fair enough. Safer, but less risk/reward.

companyofcules

Raphi is solid but he ain't cutting it on the left. Maybe Flickball could have Olmo on the left and Raphi down the centre though. Could work.

Must be some clubs out there who would fancy him as a starter, most probably in Saudi Arabia though.
What indicates Nico can drible against 2 lines? If he doesn't what is his role? To turn back the ball to Olmo or Pedri while being worse than Raphinha in every metric?

serghei

True, that is the demand of playing for Barca. In an ideal world he could peak aged 25 or so like a lot of players do. But Barca need instant results.

Nobody is saying he is amazing right now. Just that he's been playing well, not much difference between him and Raphinha, but he's clearly the significantly younger play with the much higher ceiling. He might not reach it though.

If you are saying Raphinha is a safer bet, fair enough. Safer, but less risk/reward.

I advocate for getting Nico and keeping Raphinha. The discussion is useless anyway.

The club got Olmo because of a combination of 2 possible factors if we're smart:

- Can afford both Olmo and Nico flat out with no big sale conditioning it
- Nico is not on the table this summer, so we could go after a secondary target and still keep Nico as option next summer

Maradona37

He works hard and has some qualities but for what team lacks and what near enough all top sides want from wide players it is Nico by far.
Williams to me looks like the bigger game-changer and more upside potentially. More pacey, explosive, more electric.

Raphinha the more diligent player right now (though Williams is far from lazy and in the Euros at least put a shift in).

Raphinha I don't think is a poor player. Just feel the other player is younger and has a significantly higher upside.

This is all just from watching them over the years and getting a feel for them as players.

serghei

Like Jam Dav says, Raphinha is a decent enough backup player. Most backup players aren't superstars anyway.

He's more than that. Decent back-up players aren't the best in your team in the biggest tie of the season when the pressure is amped up to its highest level.

He's a very good player. And a main contributor in the team. One of our best offensive players easily.

Maradona37

He's more than that. Decent back-up players aren't the best in your team in the biggest tie of the season.
If you are referring to a past game, one-off games don't prove anything. Any player can have a great game in a big game here and there. Even vastly overrated players like Rashford have done that.

We'll see.

Personally I reckon you think he's better than he is, but you could equally say I am selling him short. So it is a game of opinions.

I was never particularly enamoured with Raphinha, having watched him for Barca at times, for Brazil, and for Leeds.

serghei

We'll see.

Personally I reckon you think he's better than he is, but you could equally say I am selling him short. So it is a game of opinions.

I was never particularly enamoured with Raphinha, having watched him for Barca at times, for Brazil, and for Leeds.

I am not enamoured with him. This is a club that had players like Ronaldinho, Messi, Neymar, Henry playing in his position. But this is a team and a moment in time when a player like Raphinha, that in the past was not cut out for this team, is valuable.

You can call it a cause of the work done by the previous board. They got us to the point where a player of the specifics of Raphinha is one of the key members of the team.

JamDav1982

Exactly.. two seasons in and cant think of one decent game v Real for example.

Fair play did well away to PSG though.

For all that Raphinha is not see as any realistic option on the LW where he played that game.

It is a position they want to improve for good reason.

Maradona37

I am not enamoured with him. This is a club that had players like Ronaldinho, Messi, Neymar, Henry playing in his position. But this is a team and a moment in time when a player like Raphinha, that in the past was not cut out for this team, is valuable.

You can call it a cause of the work done by the previous board. They got us to the point where a player of the specifics of Raphinha is one of the key members of the team.
I agree. But it doesn't make him a top player either. It just means Barca are in a tricky position.

Let's be honest, if not for the moronic board you reference, Raphinha wouldn't even register (no pun intended) at Barca.

Porque

Raphi should be great under Flick though who should be playing more direct and with patterns to exploit turnovers. Things that Xavi never had.

But on the left? Your getting half the player.

Anyways all this talk is a moot point. Nico is done, in a years time we bring back Diego Lopez.

serghei

I agree. But it doesn't make him a top player either. It just means Barca are in a tricky position.

Let's be honest, if not for the moronic board you reference, Raphinha wouldn't even register (no pun intended) at Barca.

It's semantics. A top player not compared to Mbappe or Vinicius or greats of the past, but well comparable to the usual wingers you see at other teams outside of the top 3-4 sides.

Home of Barca Fans