Nico Williams

Maradona37

It's semantics. A top player not compared to Mbappe or Vinicius or greats of the past, but well comparable to the usual wingers you see at other teams outside of the top 3-4 sides.
If we go by a numbers scale. I'd call him a 6.5, 7 on a good day, if Mbappe, Robben and Vinicius are 9s and Ronaldinho is a 10.

I am not really convinced he's better than every winger except the top 3-4 sides. But not in the mood to debate too much more about him.

Silly way of expressing it by me, the 1-10 scale, but you get my point.

He does have certain qualities though that can fit in well to a cohesive team, I give you that.

Maradona37

Who are the top 3 or 4 sides?

There are plenty of wide players that would improve Barca by swapping them with Raphinha outside any four can mention.
I get that impression too.

I'd take guys Like Pedro Neto, Kudus, Kvara over him and they're not at top 3-4 sides. Taking into account different sides of the pitch etc.

Deco

Culé since 2005
Must be the best option for the future of Barca, at least get him next if does not come this summer.

serghei

Who are the top 3 or 4 sides?

There are plenty of wide players that would improve Barca by swapping them with Raphinha outside any four can mention.

Not from top to bottom. They would improve some aspects, but would not also provide the things Raphinha does. It's difficult to estimate something like that.

The main idea is that someone like Raphinha can get you points in games that you are not controlling or dominating, simply because he is relentless. Very close games where an extra run when others are not focused can get you 3 points.

I'd simply like the team to retain more options. Someone like Raphinha doesn't fit that well in positional phase, but there are moments in games where his impact is notable and that can lead to points. Those points add up, and if you can steal 4-5 wins in close games that otherwise you might slip up in, that can turn into a titlte push. As said, it happened already in 2022-23.

companyofcules

Nico is clearly on another level dribbling and 1v1 than Raphinha.

The 'metrics' and eye test show that.
"Dribbling" to nowhere in space doesn't equal dribbling against 2 lines in a static game. For Example Yamal has fewer than both Raphinha and Nico. Should we sell him and play this two? The eye test should tell you he has no ball control
1000045574.png

serghei

If Flick is smart, he can get more out of Raphinha than Xavi did. I belive this, so this is gonna be for me one of my things to see this season.

JamDav1982

Not from top to bottom. They would improve some aspects, but would not also provide the things Raphinha does. It's difficult to estimate something like that.

The main idea is that someone like Raphinha can get you points in games that you are not controlling or dominating, simply because he is relentless. Very close games where an extra run when others are not focused can get you 3 points.

I'd simply like the team to retain more options. Someone like Raphinha doesn't fit that well in positional phase, but there are moments in games where his impact is notable and that can lead to points. Those points add up, and if you can steal 4-5 wins in close games that otherwise you might slip up in, that can turn into a titlte push. As said, it happened already in 2022-23.

I agree Raphinha will play a part and Yamal will need to be managed.

Just dont think he is as good a profile as others could get for balance of team.

To be honest the truth is probably somewhere in the middle in these debates.. you over rate what he does and I underestimate what he does when making point on either side.

jamrock

Raphinha isn't very stylistic, which is why it's easy to not rate him, but his numbers speak for themselves, he shows up when the team needs him, his dribbling just isn't very Brazilian.

Also going into this season he should be our main free kick taker.

His flexibility will mean he gets more than enough times.

Maradona37

To be honest the truth is probably somewhere in the middle in these debates.. you over rate what he does and I underestimate what he does when making point on either side.
That's a fair point that I made about myself as I was debating with serghei in parallel.

He's not as good and vital as serghei makes out, but you and I are probably being a bit harsh too.

JamDav1982

Raphinha has not shown up as much as make out.

Been underwhelming in Europe and v Real Madrid bar PSG really...

There is a reason Xavi preferred Dembele and then Yamal at RW.

Goals/assists... Ferran and Felix got decent numbers last season for minutes played.

It only means so much when also doesnt really fit balance of what team needs above all.

Maradona37

Anyway I will bow out as I don't really wanna continue criticising him - he seems like he gives his best for your club at least. And he has a degree of quality, albeit far from top level past and present.

It'd be easier to insult him if he was unprofessional. But he does seem to care at least. From what I know anyway.

jamrock

That's a fair point that I made about myself as I was debating with serghei in parallel.

He's not as good and vital as serghei makes out, but you and I are probably being a bit harsh too.
You weren't watching much Barca games in our title winning season I'm guessing?

He came up with many vital goals and assist, in a season when we were winning games by mainly 1-0.

Check it out for yourself if you wanna do a bit of research.

Last season we didn't win anything so it won't be as clear, but who showed up in the CL? It certainly wasn't Torres I'll tell you that much.

Which is why we never look at stats first, always lead with facts.

companyofcules

Better dribling and ball control, less effective but more young.
30 mil value, 60 mil reported price after a a bidding war after Olympics.

JamDav1982

Better dribling and ball control, less effective but more young.
30 mil value, 60 mil reported price after a a bidding war after Olympics.

Was never going for 30m and Olympics did not add much at all to his price.

Looks a good player.. PSG appeared to be after Nico also though.

Home of Barca Fans