Nico Williams

Maradona37

You weren't watching much Barca games in our title winning season I'm guessing?

He came up with many vital goals and assist, in a season when we were winning games by mainly 1-0.

Check it out for yourself if you wanna do a bit of research.

Last season we didn't win anything so it won't be as clear, but who showed up in the CL? It certainly wasn't Torres I'll tell you that much.

Which is why we never look at stats first, always lead with facts.
Nah, I am not a Barca fan. But I also don't go by one-off seasons. I seen him at Leeds and others and he has had multiple seasons in his career and that was likely his best. It doesn't mean he's gonna continue to play that way, and in fact I would suggest that he didn't play as well last season.

Showed up in the CL last season? He had one good big game didn't he? He played in the home leg against PSG didn't he? Where Barca went out. You need to hold him to higher standards.

So it could very easily be a player playing above himself for a short period (and a season is a short period in the grand scheme). Nani did the same thing at Man United in 09-10.

For me it's silly to hang your hat on one season out of how many past and future and cling to that where he never reached that level before or after. But that's just me.

But if you wanna hope and pray he gets close to that level this season, then that's your business. He might but I wouldn't depend on that.

I don't care about stats either. I go by the eye test and he's never been a particularly impressive player to me.

JamDav1982

You weren't watching much Barca games in our title winning season I'm guessing?

He came up with many vital goals and assist, in a season when we were winning games by mainly 1-0.

Check it out for yourself if you wanna do a bit of research.

Last season we didn't win anything so it won't be as clear, but who showed up in the CL? It certainly wasn't Torres I'll tell you that much.

Which is why we never look at stats first, always lead with facts.

That would be Torres who you literally said Barca would not have got out the group without his goals..

While Raphinha scored goals that got Barca.... nowhere. I jest... thats not on him.

See how these goals in games can be framed..

SeloBarca

Nah, I am not a Barca fan. But I also don't go by one-off seasons. I seen him at Leeds and others and he has had multiple seasons in his career and that was likely his best. It doesn't mean he's gonna continue to play that way, and in fact I would suggest that he didn't play as well last season.

Showed up in the CL last season? He had one good big game didn't he? He played in the home leg against PSG didn't he? Where Barca went out. You need to hold him to higher standards.

So it could very easily be a player playing above himself for a short period (and a season is a short period in the grand scheme). Nani did the same thing at Man United in 09-10.

For me it's silly to hang your hat on one season out of how many past and future and cling to that where he never reached that level before or after. But that's just me.

But if you wanna hope and pray he gets close to that level this season, then that's your business. He might but I wouldn't depend on that.

I don't care about stats either. I go by the eye test and he's never been a particularly impressive player to me.
People here used the same arguments for Sergi Roberto.
Played bad 99% of season.
Scored one goal against PSG.
Now hes GOAT.

JamDav1982

It is a nonsense argument that he contradicts himself on.

Brings up any goal or assist from Raphinha as vital.. then argues against his own logic by bringing up Torres.. who scored goals assists that by his logic Barca needed to get out of group.

Maradona37

People here used the same arguments for Sergi Roberto.
Played bad 99% of season.
Scored one goal against PSG.
Now hes GOAT.
It just seems bizarre to call people out for thinking Raphinha isn't a world-class player. He's at best a good, serviceable player. He should be nowhere near one of the best teams in the world, certainly the starting lineup.

And referencing the season two seasons ago where Barca won the league. I seen a little bit of it and I am sure he played well by his standards but - again - it's hardly Neymar or Ronaldinho level.

Like I say, he's decent and good on a good day. Making passive-aggressive comments to me like jamrock just did because I don't rate him as world-class is weird, like if I went on Redcafe and they started moaning at me for calling Hojlund average (which he is).

I am not a Barca fan as I say, but even if you are a Barca fan, you don't have to rate every player as a top player. Ultimately as I said earlier, if Barca wanna get back to being the best 1-2 team in the world then Raphinha is not good enough to be a big part of that. That's just the red pill truth.

A Williams who comes close to fulfilling his potential could be a different matter, and that's why people want him rather than the 'safe pair of boots' that is Raphinha.

Maradona37

It is a nonsense argument that he contradicts himself on.

Brings up any goal or assist from Raphinha as vital.. then argues against his own logic by bringing up Torres.. who scored goals assists that by his logic Barca needed to get out of group.
I am not involved in that debate, and I haven't even mentioned Torres as I don't rate him.

I am just saying that Raphinha is a decent player, on his day good, but for Barca to challenge the likes of RM again, unfortunately they need better players than Raphinha. Whether that's possible with all the off field stuff I don't know, but I would suggest it's realistic and I don't know why people are getting mad at me for saying someone like Raphinha isn't good enough to play for one of the very best (1-3) teams in the world, as Barca aspire to be again.

They don't need to be protective of him. You have plenty better players than him anyway, and good prospects from La Masia. I could understand clinging to him if he was your best player and you had fuck all else going for you, but that isn't the case.

For Barca to be a super team again, someone like Raphinha needs to be a bench player at best. It's that simple.

jamrock

Not clear on what you mean about his time at least TBH, but he's been playing well if you include the Leeds days for about 3 seasons now, he's not world class, but a step below that

His game against PSG, shows he can step up when it really matters,.ofc only the best do it week in week out he's not that.

But if the best CM in the world, can still be living off 1 game in Napoli, then raphinha can take a lot of credit for how well he played over both legs against PSG.

JamDav1982

Not clear on what you mean about his time at least TBH, but he's been playing well if you include the Leeds days for about 3 seasons now, he's not world class, but a step below that

His game against PSG, shows he can step up when it really matters,.ofc only the best do it week in week out he's not that.

But if the best CM in the world, can still be living off 1 game in Napoli, then raphinha can take a lot of credit for how well he played over both legs against PSG.

Haha failed on Torres point and on to FDJ.

Shows level of argument for Raphinha.

'Can step up when matters'... he has been poor in Europe for most part and been poor v Real.

Must just decide when 'matters'

Jamrock 'Raphinha' logic.. Barca out in CL groups if not for Torres.

Top stuff.

companyofcules

Was never going for 30m and Olympics did not add much at all to his price.

Looks a good player.. PSG appeared to be after Nico also though.
Far superior in what you want. Just look at his multiple take-ons under pressure, his glued ball. Eye test and stats wise he is better. Far from only a space merchant. As the comments remarked he has a tiny bit of Neymar
But for me as shit as Nico in terms of end product, so I am not the guy to overhype such kind of players.

Price.
Considering 6 clubs with money battled over him his price is very big but somehow logical, again smaller than Nico's since it's not all 60 today. Having turned 19 I can forghive his stats for now, because in two and a half years he can progress alot.

But again Barcelona is runned by Mundo/Sport and other tabloids not football facts.
I can guarantee you he would have been cheaper before Olympics, Euro, and him competing Barcola at PSG would have made Barcefavoritesorite in landing him Olmo style.
But again, for that you will need Mundo to hype him.

Maradona37

Well I haven't made any comments about other players, so I am not gonna make comments like 'if this guy gets too much credit this guys gets too little'. I am just talking about Raphinha here. I will leave talk of other players to their threads.

I know he's a decent player, I am not disputing that. I just think you're holding out too much hope for him.

But I generally like you as a poster (as I like and respect most people's views) so maybe you're right. From what I have seen though my opinion is different, that's all.

jamrock

Just pulled up some Numbers because I'm at work and got nothing better to do.

For games decided by only 1 goal in our title winning season, raphinha won us 15 points, with a goal or assist.

Including assisting the 1- 0 against A.M that Lord Torres scored 😂 😂 .

If that's not clutch/Vital idk what is.

Maradona37

Far superior in what you want. Just look at his multiple take-ons under pressure, his glued ball. Eye test and stats wise he is better. Far from only a space merchant. As the comments remarked he has a tiny bit of Neymar
But for me as shit as Nico in terms of end product, so I am not the guy to overhype such kind of players.

Price.
Considering 6 clubs with money battled over him his price is very big but somehow logical, again smaller than Nico's since it's not all 60 today. Having turned 19 I can forghive his stats for now, because in two and a half years he can progress alot.

But again Barcelona is runned by Mundo/Sport and other tabloids not football facts.
I can guarantee you he would have been cheaper before Olympics, Euro, and him competing Barcola at PSG would have made Barcefavoritesorite in landing him Olmo style.
There is an element of Williams being 'flavour of the month' due to his Euros performance. And it is always risky to judge a player based on a summer tournament.

However, he does look like he has the potential to become a very, very good player to me. I don't think it's all hype, though as I said there's an element of that.

I guess we won't know for sure as none of us are clairvoyant. We can only predict.

JamDav1982

Price.

The Olymics added nothing to his value and PSG wanted Nico.

Home of Barca Fans