Nico Williams

Birdy

Are we watching same player?

Yeah from tactical standpoint he stretches pitch. But produces close to nothing on the ball. Then does one thing then gets praised as if had very solid game. A lot of backpasses, failed take-ons, very poor crosses, bad control.

Bojan is right. Better to put gun to raphinhas head and force him to play LW.

Lot of backpasses yes. That was what I didn't like. Preferred him to take initiative more.
People above argue it was a tactical instruction.

His crossing is great, especially 2nd post crossing and corners. Very powerful
His control is not bad
He didn't try many take-ons tonight

Horatio

You're welcome
Lot of backpasses yes. That was what I didn't like. Preferred him to take initiative more.
People above argue it was a tactical instruction.

His crossing is great, especially 2nd post crossing and corners. Very powerful
His control is not bad
He didn't try many take-ons tonight

No, he always is very hesitant to take on his opponent and ends up passing back. I have pointed this out since months now

He will only try to beat his opponent when it’s one opponent in front and rest of opposing team are still not organized(plenty of space around that single defender) When team is a bit organized he walks with the ball 1, 2 touches. Waits 2 seconds and passes it back.

Last edited:

Horatio

You're welcome
No, either Bilbao or Barca for Nico next season
His main strength for me seems making runs behind defenders. Unfortunately our team is not fastest overall so won’t always have the support.

Many teams sit back against barca. Wonder what he will be doing then. I fear 9/10 backpass and 1/10 trying to break into area or cross.

My hope lies in his development. But he just doesn’t seem naturally gifted on ball. He doesn’t even think so otherwise would do more. So question how good his technical ability will become.

Again, not against trying per se but just expressing my concerns. We’ll see.

companyofcules

No, he always is very hesitant to take on his opponent and ends up passing back. I have pointed this out since months now

He will only try to beat his opponent when it’s one opponent in front and rest of team are still not organized(plenty of space around that single defender) When team is a bit organized he walks with the ball 1, 2 touches. Waits 2 seconds and passes it back.
Has no ball control for what you expect from him, no balance. He is fast, that's it. A more tactically friendly and hard worker dembele. Now, Kounde beat him even at speed and that it's worrisom because we buy only speed.

Gnidrologist

Are we watching same player?

Yeah from tactical standpoint he stretches pitch. But produces close to nothing on the ball. Then does one thing then gets praised as if had very solid game. A lot of backpasses, failed take-ons, very poor crosses(almost always go way to wide), bad control.

Bojan is right. Better to put gun to raphinhas head and force him to play LW.

But don’t think he’s selfish btw. But his production is very low.

Don’t know what he would cost on wages and does have age in his favour. If cheap willing to gamble, but not excited at all so far.
Yes. His only advantage is speed. It is not bad advantage and we see that many teams in this Euro are afraid of him getting loose, so he at least serves as a good decoy. But mostly just that, a decoy. He rarely produces anything, even his dribbling is pants.

draconifire

NTC with a Positive attitude
If Yamal is improving his finishing and we will be playing midfielders who are good goalscorers, then I am fine with him coming. He does provide immense value to the team, look at Spain their main goalscoring threats are the midfielders because of the width and speed he provides on the flanks.
But for now, I think, keeping Raphinha on the Left is far better for us. Nico coming means Raphinha has to leave.

JohnN

I Like the pure winger tactic by Spain to be implemented in Barca.
This way our fullbacks wouldn't be bombing forward all the time and get us so exposed.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Personally I think Jules played well if for no other reason than Nico had little joy ultimately on the night. Williams was not poor by any stretch but have to credit Koundé with not giving much space for him to create additional danger

Plus, to start the 2nd half you could see he was on his front foot, even dispossessing Nico to spur a dangerous counter

What I liked from Jules vs Nico, was lack of any visible stress to mark the electric winger which is a far cry from what all RBs have shown on their faces during the Euro. Jules is confident and doing that as a RB when he prefers playing centrally continues to be a reflection of player‘s ability

Home of Barca Fans