Nico Williams

Porque

Great short watch on the Williams brothers - three things really jump out:

1. Character & work ethic - esp. articulated by Iñaki who comes across as authentic & down to earth
  2. Basque - they realize their good fortune and coming to Basque Country was fundamental and they both respect it
  3. Iñaki - he played the role of older brother / father since his father was not always availabe due to trying to provide and you can see the way Nico acts in the presence of his older brother. Real respect and humility but love between eachother. Palpable that the players, like cules, respect their club & family is highest pririty.

Makes me think Iñaki blessing on move plays a role but equally Nico will need to leave the nest to grow out from under the wing of Iñaki too

I wonder if Inaki had been more patient, if he could have fulfilled the Morata role for Spain of a striker with good technique, that presses non-stop and never scores.

Messi983

His rep kinda damaged last summer during that Messi saga, but you can’t deny the man was king 2022 summer.

I think in 2022 Romero was leaked infos directly from people very close to Laporta. It played in board's favor with pulled levers and trying to keep fans optimistic at the start of a new era etc.

But I think he lost access to internal informations since then. Maybe his source was one of the people who left the club recently or they just decided to not give him out more infos so he's in the dark like most of us. He still needs to keep his twitch people happy though so must made some stuff up sometimes. It's an easy trick for journalists these days to say "I know something but can't share it for this or that reason" and then if proven right they can say "that's what I was talking about two weeks ago" and if they will just start talking about other stuff.

BTW, I'm not saying Nico will or won't join (I'm actually pretty optimistic he will come) but I still wouldn't put too much importance into that supposed info from OJO merchant. Good for him if time will prove he actually had a credible info though.

But credible journalists with access to club offices are hard to find for obvious reasons. Clubs want to work in peace and usually only leak informations if/when that fits their agenda. And as we all know these leaked infos are often misleading.

OTOH sports journalists like Fabrizio Romano mostly have connections to agents (rather than clubs themselves) who also have their own interests and he also can be misled sometimes. Although I'm sure he checks multiple sources before reporting something as he wants to keep his reputation. Fabrizio also has much bigger network of connections than Romero who is only following Barca so infos (whether they are correct or not) Gerard gets are usually one-sided. I doubt he has much links to agents and even less to other clubs.

Not like we need Romero anyway when we have Laporta's big mouth telling everyone what our plans are and doing us more harm than good. Not explicitely in the Williams case as it's clear there won't be any negotiations and we'll have to pay the clause but Athletic are one of the biggest and most traditional clubs in La Liga and I'd like Barca to stay on good terms with them. We already have bad institutional relations with Sevilla for example and we've bought several good players from them in the past.

Athletic won't be happy to lose Nico but nothing they can do about that so they'll get over it in time. But there is no need for Laporta to publicly talk about signing Nico. Media speculations are one thing, you can't stop them. But high level club officials should not be talking about other team players. I know it happens a lot but it's just bad manners imo. Go and sign the player you like if you can otherwise shut your mouth.

TheStig

With each passing day I am more and more convinced that it's only a smoke screen from Laporta who wants us to be relevant but in the end we won't be able to spend any money this summer. It's just talk for weeks about Nico, for months for Nike deal and years for Barca Studios and returning to 1:1. I think in the end Nico will stay in Bilbao for another season and we will have the same team as last season (hopefully at least without Joaos and Roberto). Hope I'm wrong but knowing Laporta it doesn't look good.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Reportedly want guarantees he will be registered immediately instead of it dragging on until the last day and has put a deadline which is when he reports back to training for Athletic.

FCBfan22

Reportedly want guarantees he will be registered immediately instead of it dragging on until the last day and has put a deadline which is when he reports back to training for Athletic.
Fair from his side. Fatporta, go to work and shut up in the media.

Home of Barca Fans