Oriol Romeu (loaned to Girona)

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
I still expect to see him back at Barca in 2013.

By then JM may have departed, Xavi will be getting on so Barca will need Romeu in the squad.

zanela

Really? I didn't follow him much at all, but are you sure you are not seeing things?

He's right though. Pep's media approach is subtle and tactful. You won't see him denounce them as following..

I did think AVB was a classier dude than Mou, once. Although i don't mind seeing him manage us for a year or 2 (only as long as Mou stays at Madrid), as it would wind up Mou to no end. Hiring his former #2 for a post he was once previously rejected would act as a dagger in to his massive ego. And the potential in a AVB-Mou Clásico showdown outweighs any negatives of such an appointment. But my ideal choice would be M. Laudrup. :)

DucdeOrléans

He's right though. Pep's media approach is subtle and tactful. You won't see him denounce them as following..

I did think AVB was a classier dude than Mou, once. Although i don't mind seeing him manage us for a year or 2 (only as long as Mou stays at Madrid), as it would wind up Mou to no end. Hiring his former #2 for a post he was once previously rejected would act as a dagger in to his massive ego. And the potential in a AVB-Mou Clásico showdown outweighs any negatives of such an appointment. But my ideal choice would be M. Laudrup. :)

Villas-Boas is arguably a more talented coach than Mourinho. And certainly a more classy guy, no doubt.

But Laudrup Zanela?

Do you actually know of his coaching abilities or should I say recent fiascos? I doubt he will ever make it at a top club. He does not seem to have the personality to coach a top club.

Jenks

I'm not sure many people would argue that AVB is more talented than Mourinho. He tried to impose his own style of football at Chelsea before buying the players to do it, failed miserably, then reverted back to the way Chelsea had been playing before. Now he's asking the players to celebrate with him so it looks like there is unity at the club :lol:

DucdeOrléans

Exactly although he is not Figo in terms of betrayal.

Winning a treble in his second season while being the youngest manager in the history to do so (33 years old) is a good start.

Not to mention him being the youngest manager who ever has won a major European trophy.

If that's not talent I don't know.

Apart from that you can't compare Mourinho's Chelsea team to the current one. The first one was miles ahead of the latter one. It's not even debatable.

Mourinho is 50 year old. Villas-Boas is 34.

zanela

But Laudrup Zanela?

Do you actually know of his coaching abilities or should I say recent fiascos? I doubt he will ever make it at a top club. He does not seem to have the personality to coach a top club.

He's ex barca, understands our philosophy, examplary character, level-headed and intelligent. His tenure at Getafe was a success and also had them playing nice football. He failed at Moscow and Mallorca, true. But he was never made for the Russian League, and didn't enjoy any kind of fin. backing and support whilst at Mallorca, still he managed to get a result against both Madrid & Barca playing a B side early-on, his eventual fall-out with the club's B.O.D led to his departure. I know there ain't much managerial credentials of him to speak of, but neither did Rijkaard and Pep when they were appointed. Whilst Rijkaard did decent with the Dutch team, Pep 'd only won the Tercera División prior. Hardly the managerial CV that 'd warrant the hot seat.

plus he's a traitor.

Blame Cruyff

fuck Laudrup.

and you..

DucdeOrléans

He's ex barca, understands our philosophy, examplary character, level-headed and intelligent. His tenure at Getafe was a success and also had them playing nice football. He failed at Moscow and Mallorca, true. But he was never made for the Russian League, and didn't enjoy any kind of fin. backing and support whilst at Mallorca, still he managed to get a result against both Madrid & Barca playing a B side early-on, his eventual fall-out with the club's B.O.D led to his departure. I know there ain't much managerial credentials of him to speak of, but neither did Rijkaard and Pep when they were appointed. Whilst Rijkaard did decent with the Dutch team, Pep 'd only won the Tercera División prior. Hardly the managerial CV that 'd warrant the hot seat.

Blame Cruyff

and you..

I get you, you love Laudrup, that's fair enough I guess.

But to make it simple. He never had the personality to lead a team nor has he shown that as a manager. He is a decent manager and would probably do well for Villarreal, Atletico Madrid or a team of the same stature.

I don't see him as an candidate for a top club in the near future at all. He does not have the ability nor the mentality.

Pep was always a leader on the field. He had the managerial genes already when a player.

zanela

I get you, you love Laudrup, that's fair enough I guess.

But to make it simple. He never had the personality to lead a team nor has he shown that as a manager. He is a decent manager and would probably do well for Villarreal, Atletico Madrid or a team of the same stature.

I don't see him as an candidate for a top club in the near future at all. He does not have the ability nor the mentality.

What nonsense. The Dream Team had its set of leaders, and M. Laudrup was one of them. A player Pep Guardiola himself looked up to. A player without whom, Cruyff suffered two of his biggest defeats of his managerial career, has more ability and personality than you're giving him credit for. Leadership is not just about being vocal, it's about excellence, integrity and ability to inspire and influence a result. Iniesta does not 've the "personality" to lead a team, but he's still a leader in his own right. It was his leadership that won us the game at SB and Spain their world cup. Just because they keep a low profile don't mean they can't excel at a higher level in a different capacity. Laud was rumoured to be one of Laporta's candidate to succeed Rijkaard, before Cruyff had his say in the matter. He was also a fav to land the Madrid job post-pellegrini. He has the ability and charisma for a top club, only he's been unlucky with his assignments. I'd like to see how Pep fares with say a Mallorca or Racing, and the dane with a better project.

DucdeOrléans

What nonsense. The Dream Team had its set of leaders, and M. Laudrup was one of them. A player Pep Guardiola himself looked up to. A player without whom, Cruyff suffered two of his biggest defeats of his managerial career, has more ability and personality than you're giving him credit for. Leadership is not just about being vocal, it's about excellence, integrity and ability to inspire and influence a result. Iniesta does not 've the "personality" to lead a team, but he's still a leader in his own right. It was his leadership that won us the game at SB and Spain their world cup. Just because they keep a low profile don't mean they can't excel at a higher level in a different capacity. Laud was rumoured to be one of Laporta's candidate to succeed Rijkaard, before Cruyff had his say in the matter. He was also a fav to land the Madrid job post-pellegrini. He has the ability and charisma for a top club, only he's been unlucky with his assignments. I'd like to see how Pep fares with say a Mallorca or Racing, and the dane with a better project.

You are not talking about the ability that is required to be a top manager and leader/motivator off the field but purely about taking responsibility as a consequence of ones abilities (on the field that is). Laudrup never was a leader on the field in that sense. It is not even debatable. He even told so himself. Nor will Iniesta ever be such an leader.

I know he was rumoured but that was before his recent fiascos as a manager. Now he won't come close to coach the two Spanish giants and as of matter of fact there have not been such rumours for years now due to exactly that (him failing as a manager too many times)

He never was a favourite to be choosen as RM coach in 2010. No way that was. I personally can't remember any rumour of such and I follow the Spanish media daily and speak Spanish fluently. He was among the mentioned names in 2009 when Pellegrini got the job not after his dismiss.

zanela

You are not talking about the ability that is required to be a top manager and leader/motivator off the field but purely about taking responsibility as a consequence of ones abilities (on the field that is). Laudrup never was a leader on the field in that sense. It is not even debatable. He even told so himself. Nor will Iniesta ever be such an leader.

You're laying too much emphasis on "personality" of a manager. Maradona had a great personality, motivator on/off the pitch. But he was a shit manager. Whilst it's important to be able to command respect from the players and the board, it all comes down to your tactical acumen, how well you can get your ideas across and have the players playing for you, and ability to manage the available resources. Laud did that with Getafe, and with Mallorca to a smaller extent. But the latter club's finances was always an impediment. Even Pep with his world class squad, feels the need to add more every year and relies on the B squad every now and then.

I know he was rumoured but that was before his recent fiascos as a manager. Now he won't come close to coach the two Spanish giants and as of matter of fact there have not been such rumours for years now due to exactly that (him failing as a manager too many times)

Failing twice doesn't equate to failing too many times. You need to stop exaggerating.

He never was a favourite to be choosen as RM coach in 2010. No way that was. I personally can't remember any rumour of such and I follow the Spanish media daily and speak Spanish fluently. He was among the mentioned names in 2009 when Pellegrini got the job not after his dismiss.

My bad. I remember the likes of Gio talk of Laud as a public fav to land the Madrid job, just couldn't remember the exact time of it. Even if it was 2009, the fact that he was amongst the names despite his "fiasco" at Moscow means he isn't as bad as you're projecting.

DucdeOrléans

You're laying too much emphasis on "personality" of a manager. Maradona had a great personality, motivator on/off the pitch. But he was a shit manager. Whilst it's important to be able to command respect from the players and the board, it all comes down to your tactical acumen, how well you can get your ideas across and have the players playing for you, and ability to manage the available resources. Laud did that with Getafe, and with Mallorca to a smaller extent. But the latter club's finances was always an impediment. Even Pep with his world class squad, feels the need to add more every year and relies on the B squad every now and then.

Failing twice doesn't equate to failing too many times. You need to stop exaggerating.

My bad. I remember the likes of Gio talk of Laud as a public fav to land the Madrid job, just couldn't remember the exact time of it. Even if it was 2009, the fact that he was amongst the names despite his "fiasco" at Moscow means he isn't as bad as you're projecting.

Personality and ability. Laudrup has proven that he lacks both in order to be considered a top class coach (which we hopefully agree on is required to be at the helm of clubs such as FC Barcelona and Real Madrid?)

Well I thought we were discussing Laudrup and not Maradona. Laudrup has already proven himself in numerous clubs. Enough to conclude whether he would be able to coach FCB and RM succesfully right now. I never said that he can't get better in the future but I have my serious doubts.

Well considering he has coached 3 major clubs I consider that a lot.

Even in Denmark were he coached Brondby (and had the best squad by far) he was not as dominant as he should be.

Who is Gio?

If I was of the opinion that he was as bad as you say, I say then I would not have mentioned him being able to coach clubs of Villarreal's and Atlético Madrid's stature.

But to conclude on all this.

Right now there is simply no reason to suggest that he would be able to coach the two giants in Spain successfuly based on his managerial career UNTIL now. That might change of course but I have my doubts about that (already mentioned some of the reasons) while you claim that he could.

Last edited:
M

mitkoa7x

This love for Laudrup pisses me off, if for example The Don had a falling out with Pep and went to RM I will hate him for the rest of my days even tho I love him so much. No matter the circumstances leaving Barca for Madrid is unacceptable (alright only for sabotage missions).

Home of Barca Fans