Oriol Romeu (loaned to Girona)

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
He's ex barca, understands our philosophy, examplary character, level-headed and intelligent. His tenure at Getafe was a success and also had them playing nice football. He failed at Moscow and Mallorca, true. But he was never made for the Russian League, and didn't enjoy any kind of fin. backing and support whilst at Mallorca, still he managed to get a result against both Madrid & Barca playing a B side early-on, his eventual fall-out with the club's B.O.D led to his departure. I know there ain't much managerial credentials of him to speak of, but neither did Rijkaard and Pep when they were appointed. Whilst Rijkaard did decent with the Dutch team, Pep 'd only won the Tercera División prior. Hardly the managerial CV that 'd warrant the hot seat.

he was a magnificent player. but as a manager I remain to be convinced. there's no point mentioning his time at Getafe because that was 3/4 years ago and he's had two pretty awful spells as a coach since then. alright, Russia was a bad fit, but Mallorca?

Laudrup is tactically very astute, this much is obvious, but he's a dick.

he quit Mallorca because he couldn't deal with the boobery and power plays coming from the board. if he couldn't handle that with no pressure at Mallorca, he'd get eaten alive at a big club with boardroom tomfoolery and pressure/expectation.

as for the way his teams play? well it's decent enough football when under no pressure. but his tendency to have his teams resort to defensive hack-and-slash when they're outmatched is a telltale sign of a coach that is not brave. and as Guardiola says, you have to be brave.

I'm not 100% sure he's able to fully communicate with his players, too, in a sense of coaching them. when Sky have him as a pundit and you hear him talk tactics, it's clear he understands everything and can explain it very well instructionally. but his teams have always struggled to put things into practice and it can't all be down to the lack of quality.

and his results against us & Real were down to dogged defensive performances and knicking a goal on the break. they were typical small club performances and absolutely fuck all indicator that he would be a good fit for the Barça job, which is much more demanding.

Guardiola didn't have much of a CV but he didn't need one. he KNEW the club. he KNEW the philosophy because he had lived it all his life. he had very clear ideas about what he wanted to do as a coach and communicated this to come coaching geniuses (as Menotti said in that interview). and he implemented them straight away with the B-Team, and again when he was promoted. he loves the club, and when he left us because he couldn't compete at the top-level anymore, he left the country. he didn't go to our greatest rivals out of spite. he is a True Culé.

Laudrup is NONE of these things. as a manager he's not on Pep's level. as a Barça manager he's nowhere NEAR Pep's level. he doesn't deserve to coach us, and thankfully he never will.

Blame Cruyff

for the loss in the '94 Final and Laudrup leaving the club? oh for sure.

for Laudrup joining Real Madrid? no. sorry. that's all on him.

Myrmecophile

Mr. Japes
he was a magnificent player. but as a manager I remain to be convinced. there's no point mentioning his time at Getafe because that was 3/4 years ago and he's had two pretty awful spells as a coach since then. alright, Russia was a bad fit, but Mallorca?

he quit Mallorca because he couldn't deal with the boobery and power plays coming from the board. if he couldn't handle that with no pressure at Mallorca, he'd get eaten alive at a big club with boardroom tomfoolery and pressure/expectation.

as for the way his teams play? well it's decent enough football when under no pressure. but his tendency to have his teams resort to defensive hack-and-slash when they're outmatched is a telltale sign of a coach that is not brave. and as Guardiola says, you have to be brave.

I'm not 100% sure he's able to fully communicate with his players, too, in a sense of coaching them. when Sky have him as a pundit and you hear him talk tactics, it's clear he understands everything and can explain it very well instructionally. but his teams have always struggled to put things into practice and it can't all be down to the lack of quality.

and his results against us & Real were down to dogged defensive performances and knicking a goal on the break. they were typical small club performances and absolutely fuck all indicator that he would be a good fit for the Barça job, which is much more demanding.

Guardiola didn't have much of a CV but he didn't need one. he KNEW the club. he KNEW the philosophy because he had lived it all his life. he had very clear ideas about what he wanted to do as a coach and communicated this to come coaching geniuses (as Menotti said in that interview). and he implemented them straight away with the B-Team, and again when he was promoted. he loves the club, and when he left us because he couldn't compete at the top-level anymore, he left the country. he didn't go to our greatest rivals out of spite. he is a True Culé.

Laudrup is NONE of these things. as a manager he's not on Pep's level. as a Barça manager he's nowhere NEAR Pep's level. he doesn't deserve to coach us, and thankfully he never will.

for the loss in the '94 Final and Laudrup leaving the club? oh for sure.

for Laudrup joining Real Madrid? no. sorry. that's all on him.
tumblr_lu5iw0EVOL1qgur8o.gif

zanela

It's unrealistic to expect the same loyalty of a Catalan AND Cantero from a foreign player (with no prior club affiliation). The latter driven by footballing ambition, and base their decisions on it. It can be personal at times, depending on the circumstances of the exit. It's hard to live and understand the madrid-Barca rivalry for a foreigner as opposed to those having strong local connections. And you can't fault a foreign player for underestimating the rivalry when makin the switch. And the Dane's disappointment and shock at his reception on his return to Camp Nou validates it.
Since when does one need to be a true Culé to qualify as a Barca manager? Pep is one, but our history has had its share of non-catalan involvement and success.
If the Dane isn't deserving of the post, neither was Rijkaard who was hired at the back of fiasco himself. And If we're gonna use Pep as a benchmark for future appointment, then we might as well give up on finding his successor. As there isn't anyone who'd tick as many boxes.
Not to take anything away from Pep's achievements, but it's all nice and dandy talking about Bravery with the kind of attacking resources at his disposal. It 'd be more impressive 'd it come from someone managing a zaragoza. Your ideas and planning mean l'l if you're not pragmatic.

I don't know how you can be overly critical of the Dane's performance at Mallorca, considering what he was given he did good. He kept them alive despite squad woes, finishing only 3 points behind the 9th spot. For someone resorting to defensive hack-and-slash, his team finished sec in the fair play table, only one point behind Barcelona. And his result against Madrid came from a high-pressing game playing his B team, although a calculated approach. Not what you're describing.
I'd like to see Pep start from scratch and build a not so-privileged team to glory. When there are no star element to rescue tactical blunders. But for now, he's doing well.

Michael Laudrup is indeed tactically astute, and a dick. And Pep Guardiola was a student.

Last edited:

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
It's unrealistic to expect the same loyalty of a Catalan AND Cantero from a foreign player (with no prior club affiliation). The latter driven by footballing ambition, and base their decisions on it. It can be personal at times, depending on the circumstances of the exit. It's hard to live and understand the madrid-Barca rivalry for a foreigner as opposed to those having strong local connections. And you can't fault a foreign player for underestimating the rivalry when makin the switch. And the Dane's disappointment and shock at his reception on his return to Camp Nou validates it.
Since when does one need to be a true Culé to qualify as a Barca manager? Pep is one, but our history has had its share of non-catalan involvement and success.
If the Dane isn't deserving of the post, neither was Rijkaard who was hired at the back of fiasco himself. And If we're gonna use Pep as a benchmark for future appointment, then we might as well give up on finding his successor. As there isn't anyone who'd tick as many boxes.
Not to take anything away from Pep's achievements, but it's all nice and dandy talking about Bravery with the kind of attacking resources at his disposal. It 'd be more impressive 'd it come from someone managing a zaragoza. Your ideas and planning mean l'l if you're not pragmatic.

I don't know how you can be overly critical of the Dane's performance at Mallorca, considering what he was given he did good. He kept them alive despite squad woes, finishing only 3 points behind the 9th spot. For someone resorting to defensive hack-and-slash, his team finished sec in the fair play table, only one point behind Barcelona. And his result against Madrid came from a high-pressing game playing his B team, although a calculated approach. Not what you're describing.
I'd like to see Pep start from scratch and build a not so-privileged team to glory. When there are no star element to rescue tactical blunders. But for now, he's doing well.

Michael Laudrup is indeed tactically astute, and a dick. And Pep Guardiola was a student.

fuck me, you're right! Laudrup is a brilliant manager!

why wait for Pep to leave? let's sack him RIGHT NOW and appoint Laudrup! I mean after all Pep is only good because we have great players now, and Laudrup was only pragmatic and average because his teams had average players. so since we have great players, Laudrup will not only help us win but have us playing the kind of football we can't even dream about!

WAIT! I HAVE AN EVEN BETTER IDEA!

let's appoint Preciado! he's managing an even poorer team from an even less wealthy part of Spain and he has worked wonders against us and Real over the past couple of seasons being super duper pragmatic! he even won in the Bernabeu against Mourinho's Real with a team that barely cost anything! shit, if Laudrup with good players would be better than Pep... shit, how amazing could Preciado make us? we'd be the greatest ever team in history!

thank you so much for pointing out that magnificent logic to me. I feel so much better now that I know there are managers out there who can take the reigns and improves us when the overrated Pep leaves. can't wait for the day actually!

Myrmecophile

Mr. Japes

why wait for Pep to leave? let's sack him RIGHT NOW and appoint Laudrup! I mean after all Pep is only good because we have great players now, and Laudrup was only pragmatic and average because his teams had average players. so since we have great players, Laudrup will not only help us win but have us playing the kind of football we can't even dream about!

let's appoint Preciado! he's managing an even poorer team from an even less wealthy part of Spain and he has worked wonders against us and Real over the past couple of seasons being super duper pragmatic! he even won in the Bernabeu against Mourinho's Real with a team that barely cost anything! shit, if Laudrup with good players would be better than Pep... shit, how amazing could Preciado make us? we'd be the greatest ever team in history!

thank you so much for pointing out that magnificent logic to me. I feel so much better now that I know there are managers out there who can take the reigns and improves us when the overrated Pep leaves. can't wait for the day actually!
[youtube]ggXmKPMaHMo[/youtube]

zanela

Always glad to enlighten you, love. ;)

Nah for preciado, he doesn't 've the football intelligence, the charm, or the Dream team aura of the Dane.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Always glad to enlighten you, love. ;)

Nah for preciado, he doesn't 've the football intelligence, the charm, or the Dream team aura of the Dane.

He also isn't a fucking traitor like the Dane. You do know his son played for Madrid's youth team right?

Last edited:

zanela

He also isn't a fucking traitor like the Dane. You do know his son played for Madrid's youth team right?

His Getafe stint brought him to Madrid. It was the same(and only) year, his younger son played for the Madrid academy. More a convenient thing.

You guys should stop hating a Barca legend. Despite the controversial move, his behaviour has been exemplary and he continues to be a supporter of Pep's Barca.

Cesc4Messi10

From what I have seen his passing has usually been very accurate when playing for Chelsea, and he doe snot venture forward alot meaning he is disciplined now.He is still young and i have noticed he can not handle the ball when there is a bit more pressure than usual, instead of getting rid or playing the pass back he trys to play the perfect pass but the pressure gets to him and he usually ends up squandering possession.I think he will become a great midfielder though.

Can somebody explain the clause to me?
AVB says we can only get him back if Chelsea want to sell?

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
His Getafe stint brought him to Madrid. It was the same(and only) year, his younger son played for the Madrid academy. More a convenient thing.

You guys should stop hating a Barca legend. Despite the controversial move, his behaviour has been exemplary and he continues to be a supporter of Pep's Barca.

And Big Bernd is still a soci.

Schuster for manager!

Home of Barca Fans