Paul Pogba

BBZ8800

Also Pogba had been one of France BEST players in the World Cup without him

I posted it in the past, I can do it again:
http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/11150-Paul-Pogba/page16

People "revisioned" their opinion about Pogba lately.

During a World cup, a lot of people on this forum were making jokes about him.
He was far from "the best" player in those days.

Then suddenly in autumn of 2014, he turned into a current Pogba in people's minds.
But some guys now say that he was equally as good and hailed even before the autumn 2014, aka in 2013-14 or at the World cup.

Anyway, just look at some posts there and it is clear that he was nowhere near the current Pogba (in people's minds):
Good game, showed what we already know of him though. He is insanely strong and hard to rob the ball off but his passing is just decent, nothing special.
A couple of years ago he would cost like 15M, today his price is 50-60M AND somebody will probably pay such crazy money for him. We should stay far away from him, there are much better players for half the price.

Edit: Forget what I said about half the price, but there are better and more suited players for us for the same price.
??? the page is full of people saying "okay but nothing too spectacular".
Or may be he just looks up his volleys and never actually watches him play, I don't know.
(Pogba the best midfielder in the world) :lol:
Hasn't impressed me at all during this WC so far.
I was impressed....

... By his hair

Overhyped
I was hoping for more from him. I only watched today's match of France but he didn't impress me either. Hopefully we'll see one of his crazy longshot goals vs Nigeria.
Pogba is average. Nothing special, Verratti is a much better midfielder.
Kill me but I think he is the most overrated thing since sliced bread.. I don't see & I never saw all the hype around him... a tall player who can pass well.. nothing more nothing less
Easy there tiger, nobody will kill you :lol: As a matter of fact, the majority of this forum actually already agrees with you :beer2:
But seriously, I understand it's just media BS - but the numbers floating around - €50M, €60M or even €70M - lolworthy!
I saw some of Juve games as well as there games against us & of course with the French team... there is nothing worth any of those numbers.. maybe pro-scouts sees something we don't see
Wow just came into this thread thinking the Barca Forum cult will put me on fire for thinking that Pogba is overrated. So glad that a few of you think likewise too.

P.S. I hope RM buy him.
I've seen nothing special in his performance. Still average for me but has some moments of brilliance.

And lel at Pogba carrying France, even Valbuena makes bigger impact at the moment.
Griezmann drove the difference today. Not Pogba.
Again nothing impressive.
Dafaq? I would go and hit Bartomeu and Zubi in the face myself if they consider signing this guy.
Rather gamble with an injured Gündogan than pay 60m for this fella.
We don't need that dude ...
I hope Madrid sign him

These were reactions from our fans during a world cup (ok, I deleted 3-4 posts who were actually positive about him, mostly from Thwix).
And then lately, we can see very often how people claim that Pogba played awesome already for a few seasons, how he plays awesome for French NT, how he was awesome at World cup.

Well, it wasn't like that.
People revisioned their opinion later.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Then suddenly in autumn of 2014, he turned into a current Pogba in people's minds.
But some guys now say that he was equally as good and hailed even before the autumn 2014, aka in 2013-14 or at the World cup.

Anyway, just look at some posts there and it is clear that he was nowhere near the current Pogba (in people's minds):

These were reactions from our fans during a world cup (ok, I deleted 3-4 posts who were actually positive about him, mostly from Thwix).
And then lately, we can see very often how people claim that Pogba played awesome already for a few seasons, how he plays awesome for French NT, how he was awesome at World cup.

People here doesn't equal people's opinion .his performance was highly appreciated world wide on that world cup .quotes in Barca forum doesn't change that .no disrespect to any member's opinion

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Maybe Barcaforum doesn't represent the mass public opinion but his WC really wasn't as good as it was touted to be. Certainly not 'standout' for France in relation to his other teammates (remember how France dominated their group?) and only showed up in flashes and moments. Benzema, Valbuena, and Matuidi were clearly more influential in their WC run. I don't think he performed to a higher individual level than, for example, Ronaldo did yet he gets flack for an appalling WC performance (rightfully). Pogba certainly had less expectations on his back than Ronaldo did but a level that is shockingly poor for one shouldn't be considered commendable for the other, right?

Pogba scored for france in the WC and the pogba hype was born. didn't look entirely toothless vs germany too, he's got that for him.

Griezmann was the breakthrough player.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Putting the potential cost and given Gundogan's rise in form and getting back to WC level, I think it'll better if we sign the German + one of the two in my sig and a LB next summer.

I'm a fan of Pogba, but with the price being quoted by Juve and the fact that we could get Gundogan for half the price since his contract runs out in 2017 I think it's not worth it...

That doesn't mean I don't rate Pogba, but with Iniesta, Rakitic and Arda(who I almost forgot) in our team, a player of Gundogan's profile would be great and it'll also allow us to spend more on other much needed reinforcements.

What I'd do next summer if I was in place of Bartomeu irl;

- Sign Ilkay Gundogan for 30-45m
- Remove the deadweight like Adriano, Douglas and sell Bartra who it seems like doesn't have a future at the club
- Try to sign Aymeric Laporte for his buyout of 50m or Jose Maria Gimenez for his reported buyout of 40m
- Sign a good LB to challenge Alba for his spot, rotate, so we're not left with mediocre replacements if the little squirrel is injured
- Re-open negotiations with Nike, it's time we're paid in the range teams like Man Utd are, we SHOULD be getting a great deal here, so no room for excuses
- Keep an eye on Oliver Torres' development and contract negotiations, not to sign now, but could be an option in 2-3 years

Last edited:

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
Putting the potential cost and given Gundogan's rise in form and getting back to WC level, I think it'll better if we sign the German + one of the two in my sig and a LB next summer.

I'm a fan of Pogba, but with the price being quoted by Juve and the fact that we could get Gundogan for half the price since his contract runs out in 2017 I think it's not worth it...

That doesn't mean I don't rate Pogba, but with Iniesta, Rakitic and Arda(who I almost forgot) in our team, a player of Gundogan's profile would be great and it'll also allow us to spend more on other much needed reinforcements.

What I'd do next summer if I was in place of Bartomeu irl;

- Sign Ilkay Gundogan for 30-45m
- Remove the deadweight like Adriano, Douglas and sell Bartra who it seems like doesn't have a future at the club
- Try to sign Aymeric Laporte for his buyout of 50m or Jose Maria Gimenez for his reported buyout of 40m
- Sign a good LB to challenge Alba for his spot, rotate, so we're not left with mediocre replacements if the little squirrel is injured
- Re-open negotiations with Nike, it's time we're paid in the range teams like Man Utd are, we SHOULD be getting a great deal here, so no room for excuses
- Keep an eye on Oliver Torres' development and contract negotiations, not to sign now, but could be an option in 2-3 years

The P has spoken. Get to it Barto :bartomeu: :whip:
Also since the Nike contract is up (in 2016 I think) we have leverage to either get them to raise it or go with Adidas (having Messi on an Adidas team will be an incentive for Adidas)

Beast

The Observer

And i still stand by my opinion before

I saw some of Juve games as well as there games against us & of course with the French team... there is nothing worth any of those numbers.. maybe pro-scouts sees something we don't see

He is not worth any of those numbers... not a 90 or 100 million player at all

Barcilliant

It wouldn't be surprising if Pogba struggled this season.

People forget that Vidal did an immense amount of donkey work freeing up Pogba to shine.
There is no way Pogba will be worth 100 million at the end of the season.

I am betting on an EPL side like Chelsea, City to snap him up. Maybe PSG will try and get him.

Beast

The Observer
Not just Vidal.. Pirlo & Tevez... two workhorse players & the maestro ...

this year will be Pogba true test

Sterlingfan2000

barca already signed him under the table aka the italian way.. he will arrive next season not january.. Pogba was sold to barca before the elections thats my feeling

Galning

I never rated Pogba as God on earth so I don't think my comments should be there to proof the point. My opinion is still the same one as two years ago.

bastardo

The hate for pogba here is intense which I don't understand because he's not even the cocky type who thinks he better than he is. Yes he isn't the 100m man like his AGENT says he is YET, but the massive underrating of pogba here is unbelievable, especially those who says that even kovacic is better than him (won't say names).

BBZ8800

I never rated Pogba as God on earth so I don't think my comments should be there to proof the point. My opinion is still the same one as two years ago.

It wasn't a post about how a certain users changed their opinion about Pogba. Or about pointing fingers at anyone...
It was how he wasn't rated highly in general till autumn of 2014, as a reply to some claims how Pogba is already playing on a highest level for 2-3 Seasons and how he had played awesome at a World cup.

My opinion is that he had 1 awesome season till now, and he is yet to play 2nd awesome season.
We will wait and see how will he play in this season.

The hate for pogba here is intense which I don't understand because he's not even the cocky type who thinks he better than he is. Yes he isn't the 100m man like his AGENT says he is YET, but the massive underrating of pogba here is unbelievable, especially those who says that even kovacic is better than him (won't say names).

For the current Barca, if Kovacic costs 30M, and Pogba costs 100+ Millions, and if we need at least one creative player, like Iniesta, then Kovacic is/was more suited for Barca than Pogba.

That doesn't mean that Kovacic is in GENERAL a better player than Pogba.
For 90% of other teams in the world, Pogba would be a better midfielder.

The same could be said about Mascherano.
For 90% of teams in the world, he is the best choice for a defensive midfielder.

But in Barca, even current (unexperienced) Sergi Roberto or Samper are probably better Dmc's for Barca, than Mascherano.

Imo, that was the point of Kovacic versus Pogba posts.
Also, add price tag, Pogba's potential wages, how other players would ask for similar wages etc.

Home of Barca Fans