Pedro Rodriguez

Maria

Pedro is a lot like Busquets in that he's a player's player, whose work often goes under the radar, dissed by forumites "...while teammates praise me? Maybe they value me more because they know more about football." (Busquets)

Wow..2 good games against Cartagena and Celtic and I've already seen people saying that Sergi Roberto is better than Thiago and now a good winger like Pedro is compared with not only our best midfielder, but also the best DM in the world.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
You guys don't understand why Pedro is disliked. It's not because he's a squad player; just look at everyone's love for Adriano and the constant clamoring for a CF to be signed to back up Messi. It's because what he offers as a squad player is very limited; he runs a lot, has decent passing, and on good days tucks away chances. That's a decent skillset, but it's not enough; it shouldn't be that the instant one of our starting XI is injured we have to resort to a horse that can shoot inside the box. Look at someone like Podolski for Arsenal; he's unlikely to be a starter and is fine with it, but he works hard, has a godlike left foot in both shooting and crossing, and combines very nicely with the other Arsenal players. Squad players still have to be good when they do play, and Pedro is not good enough.

PhilS

You guys don't understand why Pedro is disliked. It's not because he's a squad player; just look at everyone's love for Adriano and the constant clamoring for a CF to be signed to back up Messi. It's because what he offers as a squad player is very limited; he runs a lot, has decent passing, and on good days tucks away chances. That's a decent skillset, but it's not enough; it shouldn't be that the instant one of our starting XI is injured we have to resort to a horse that can shoot inside the box. Look at someone like Podolski for Arsenal; he's unlikely to be a starter and is fine with it, but he works hard, has a godlike left foot in both shooting and crossing, and combines very nicely with the other Arsenal players. Squad players still have to be good when they do play, and Pedro is not good enough.

I would take Pedro over Podolski any day of the week, not even close. Pedro would start for almost any other team in the world. Having players this strong to supplement the first 11 is one of the great strengths of this club. Some games, he is better than others, but that is the way this sport works. He's good enough to play less than full time, but still score an occasional hat trick. No team has enough players like that.

Unfortunately, too many posters on this forum want to continually bad-mouth the fine players who make this such a great club. Pedro is pure Barca, I hope to see him in the squad for many more years.

Maria

You guys are too mean to pedro, he's our best finisher after messi and he scores when you need him to. He's our 2nd top scorer even with his reduced time right now give him a break.

According to transfermarkt:

Pedro played 1234 minutes(722 in the league) and in La Liga he scored 7 goals with 22 shots:
-the 4th and the 7th goal against Levante(7-0)
-the first 3 goals against Rayo(4-0)
-the 2nd goal against Betis(4-1)
-the 4th goal against Granada(4-0)
He also scored the 2nd goal against Celtic and the first and 3rd against Cartagena.

Alexis played 1350 minutes(788 in the league) and in La Liga he scored 8 goals with 23 shots:
-the first goal against Levante(7-0)
-the 3rd goal against Sevilla(3-2)
-the first goal against Valladolid, at the score of 0-1 and the 3rd goal(4-1)
-the 3rd goal against Granada(4-0)
-the 2nd goal against RM(2-1)
-the first goal against Celta(3-0)
-the only goal against Espanyol(1-0)

Last edited:

kollegah

question time:

would pedro start at the following clubs:

bayern munich
real madrid
dortmund
chelsea

why at barca? one of the top2-3 clubs in the world?

Vapor

question time:

bayern munich
real madrid
dortmund
chelsea

I feel the exact same way. It's not that Pedro is a BAD player per se, but he is not even close to the level of greatness expected of one of the top 2 teams in the world, especially one that has a generation that will go down arguably as the best side to ever play. We can't have legends like Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Neymar (now/in the future) playing alongside the likes of Pedro. He doesn't create chances, he can hardly finish nowdays, he does ridiculously boneheaded things like blocking Neymar's goal, he is hardly creative on his own. The attacking players from Bayern, Madrid, Dortmund, Chelsea put Pedro to shame in comparison... they are on another level.

Yes Pedro does good things defensively but he is a forward, charged primarily with creatively attacking the opponents defense, beating them and creating chances or scoring them himself. Henry, Eto' and Villa at one point were all far more effective and creative at this than Pedro. We need players at or near that level of offensive threat.

Pedro does not cut it for me... really think we should let him go this summer and grab someone on the level or at least start breeding the next gen. of homegrown talent such as Duelo and Cuenca.

Right on. Well said.

Last edited:

ZenI

Professor Balthazar

I would take Pedro over Podolski any day of the week, not even close. Pedro would start for almost any other team in the world. Having players this strong to supplement the first 11 is one of the great strengths of this club. Some games, he is better than others, but that is the way this sport works. He's good enough to play less than full time, but still score an occasional hat trick. No team has enough players like that.

Unfortunately, too many posters on this forum want to continually bad-mouth the fine players who make this such a great club. Pedro is pure Barca, I hope to see him in the squad for many more years.

I agree with PhilS. In our system, playing on the wings and tracking back, defending, pressing and scoring, I'd choose Pedro 100/100 times over Podolski.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
I'm not saying Podolski is better than Pedro for our system, I'm saying he's a squad player for Arsenal but is still good enough to hurt anyone when he comes on the pitch. We need players like that, not players like Pedro who dissapear for long chunks of time and offer little to no creativity and nowadays function on space, which is not exactly available to us anymore. And also, you guys are acting like tracking back and pressing is an ability that only certain players possess, when really all it requires is stamina and discipline. Sure, you're probably not going to get Pirlo to be the next Pedro or Grosskreutz, but any winger can be trained to run a lot and press, that takes very little skill.

DinhoR10

question time:

bayern munich
real madrid
dortmund
chelsea

Only 2 of our fowards would be a clear starter at most of those clubs with the exception of chelsea. Dortmund have Reus and Aubameyang, Munich have Robben,Muller,shaqiri and Ribery(Currently I don't think Neymar would start over Ribery), and Madrid have Ronaldo,Bale and Di Maria.

At Barcelona we have 1 god, 1 future world beater (Neymar still isnt there yet), 1 very good fast creative winger and 1 good fast non-creative finisher. Last time we had 3 world beaters was back in the days of Henry,Eto'o and Messi.

Gohan

Super Saiyan
Picking order in our attack.

Messi
Neymar
Alexis
Pedro
Tello

Pedro is good enough for Barca. Barca's bench. Let him play the occasional La Liga matches and he can be useful when injurys occur. But he isn't worth more.

/End

DinhoR10

Picking order in our attack.

Messi
Neymar
Alexis
Pedro
Tello

Pedro is good enough for Barca. Barca's bench. Let him play the occasional La Liga matches and he can be useful when injurys occur. But he isn't worth more.

/End

Agree with the order although for the sake of keeping our players in good health rotations are needed.

Yes Pedro does good things defensively but he is a forward, charged primarily with creatively attacking the opponents defense, beating them and creating chances or scoring them himself. Henry, Eto' and Villa at one point were all far more effective and creative at this than Pedro. We need players at or near that level of offensive threat.

Not to mention Sanchez also offers defensive ability and workrate and he's far better offensively than Pedro as well. Even in terms of scoring, even though he has less goals than Pedro, he's more consistent (not to mention he's scored more important goals against better teams i.e. the goals against Espanyol and especially Madrid).

BerkeleyBernie

Wow..2 good games against Cartagena and Celtic and I've already seen people saying that Sergi Roberto is better than Thiago and now a good winger like Pedro is compared with not only our best midfielder, but also the best DM in the world.

:) Yes, he's comparable to Busquets in the *specific* way that I mentioned- his work often goes under the radar, and is more appreciated by his teammates and other footballers than the average observer.

And, btw, I don't just mean his defensive contributions when I talk about under the radar. He and Messi are by far the best 1-touch passers of our forwards, much better than Neymar and Alexis (who are both improving, happy to say). Pedro's even better than Cesc for quick close passing in and around the box. He's often a key part of the final sequence leading to a team goal, through great positioning, understanding of his teammates, and technical passing, but most people don't register that contribution. He was probably setting up to 1-2 the ball back to Neymar in that misunderstanding in the Celtic game.

kollegah

:) Yes, he's comparable to Busquets in the *specific* way that I mentioned- his work often goes under the radar, and is more appreciated by his teammates and other footballers than the average observer.

And, btw, I don't just mean his defensive contributions when I talk about under the radar. He and Messi are by far the best 1-touch passers of our forwards, much better than Neymar and Alexis (who are both improving, happy to say). Pedro's even better than Cesc for quick close passing in and around the box. He's often a key part of the final sequence leading to a team goal, through great positioning, understanding of his teammates, and technical passing, but most people don't register that contribution. He was probably setting up to 1-2 the ball back to Neymar in that misunderstanding in the Celtic game.

never ever ever ever ever mention pedro and busi in one sentence
one of them is an average player who was carried by worldclass players for some years, the other is one of these before mentioned world class players

Home of Barca Fans