Pedro Rodriguez

BerkeleyBernie

never ever ever ever ever mention pedro and busi in one sentence
one of them is an average player who was carried by worldclass players for some years, the other is one of these before mentioned world class players

:busquets: and :pedro:

Hatahs gonna hate. :D

Those who like Pedro have arguments as to why they think he's a great player. Those who don't simply spout opinions: "he's not world class" "he's abysmal". The only thing they seem to base these opinions on is "he doesn't score enough goals" "he scores easy goals." There is no evaluation of the Barça system, no evaluation of how Pedro plays his role to support his team in that system, no indication that they observe anything other than when Pedro has the ball isolated down in the corner or is chasing an opponent (to cover for one of the fullbacks who has overlapped him).

Truthfully, speaking for myself as a football player, if I had to pick between Messi and Pedro to play with on my team, I'd pick Pedro. Sure, I'd win more with Messi on my team, but I'd have a lot more fun with Pedro. While Messi of course has an eye for his teammates, he is naturally a more singleminded and arrogant player. That is his role on the team. Pedro has a much more open vision and role, and is smart about doing whatever the moment demands. If he has little support, he protects the ball. He takes on players on the dribble where the odds are good that it is advantageous to do so. He makes runs to drag open space for his teammates. He's there for the wall pass when you need it.

Seriously, you don't want three forwards all willing to charge head on at 3 defenders on their own every time they have the ball. You already have Messi; you want the others to pick their spots. Otherwise, the team will be constantly running backwards, being regularly dispossessed. That's fine for box-to-box EPL "action", but suicidal for a team like Barça.

Sometime later this season, Pedro will have another high scoring game, or score important goals, and the hatahs will say "finally, Pedro's stepping up. Is it going to last?" When in truth, he will be doing the same thing he has all season- doing whatever seems best for the team in the particular moment. Sometimes the spotlight will shine on him, but a lot of time he'll be doing exactly the same thing, just under the radar (or "invisible," as the hatahs like to call it).

sailor

Those who like Pedro have arguments as to why they think he's a great player. Those who don't simply spout opinions: "he's not world class" "he's abysmal". The only thing they seem to base these opinions on is "he doesn't score enough goals" "he scores easy goals." There is no evaluation of the Barça system, no evaluation of how Pedro plays his role to support his team in that system, no indication that they observe anything other than when Pedro has the ball isolated down in the corner or is chasing an opponent (to cover for one of the fullbacks who has overlapped him).

Truthfully, speaking for myself as a football player, if I had to pick between Messi and Pedro to play with on my team, I'd pick Pedro. Sure, I'd win more with Messi on my team, but I'd have a lot more fun with Pedro. While Messi of course has an eye for his teammates, he is naturally a more singleminded and arrogant player. That is his role on the team. Pedro has a much more open vision and role, and is smart about doing whatever the moment demands. If he has little support, he protects the ball. He takes on players on the dribble where the odds are good that it is advantageous to do so. He makes runs to drag open space for his teammates. He's there for the wall pass when you need it.

Seriously, you don't want three forwards all willing to charge head on at 3 defenders on their own every time they have the ball. You already have Messi; you want the others to pick their spots. Otherwise, the team will be constantly running backwards, being regularly dispossessed. That's fine for box-to-box EPL "action", but suicidal for a team like Barça.

Sometime later this season, Pedro will have another high scoring game, or score important goals, and the hatahs will say "finally, Pedro's stepping up. Is it going to last?" When in truth, he will be doing the same thing he has all season- doing whatever seems best for the team in the particular moment. Sometimes the spotlight will shine on him, but a lot of time he'll be doing exactly the same thing, just under the radar (or "invisible," as the hatahs like to call it).

:thumbsup2: Pedro and Busi are the "unknown soldiers" of the team.Judging a player by numbers of goals scored when he's not a striker is something out of context. Pedro is the best when it comes to counterattacks , creating space for his teamates, and defending with all his strenghth when the ball is lost. Put Pedro on sale and see what kind of cheeks will show up with cheques !

CatalinR10

:thumbsup2: Pedro and Busi are the "unknown soldiers" of the team.Judging a player by numbers of goals scored when he's not a striker is something out of context. Pedro is the best when it comes to counterattacks , creating space for his teamates, and defending with all his strenghth when the ball is lost. Put Pedro on sale and see what kind of cheeks will show up with cheques !

Can't believe people put Pedro in the same boat with the player who is known by the most the best dm in the world .

F

Flavia

I know you're biased about Pedro, but c'mon... that's absurd. If really true, you're probably the only one in the world who would pick pedro ahead of Messi.

Anyway, pedro is a hardworker and a good squad player, but it's just wrong to put him in the the same boat as Busquets. Busquets is a much, much better player. When Busi doesn't play, he is sorely missed. Pedro is being easily replaced by Alexis. Not comparable.

CatalinR10

^

,,Truthfully, speaking for myself as a football player, if I had to pick between Messi and Pedro to play with on my team, I'd pick Pedro "

mindblown.gif

I've heard people say dumb stuff since I'm on this forum but picking Pedro over Messi in your team is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

BerkeleyBernie

Pedro, the Busi of the forwards :worthy:

Yup! :D And Flavia is correct, he is far more easily replaced than Busi (though people here sometimes inexplicably mention Song in the same breath). The only comparison I'm making (besides Pedro's usually awesome first touch) is that his contribution, like Busi's, is often out of the spotlight.

And as far as choosing Pedro over Messi, I'm *literally* talking about myself, not some theoretical professional team. Of course one would choose Messi in that context. But heading out to play pick-up today, I'd have more fun with Pedro. Messi would be a blast to watch, of course, but Pedro's going to play more to fit my play- just as he does for Barça. Messi is going to be the striker and the playmaker, and you are there to *support him* in both roles. Pedro is going to be whatever the flow of play asks him to be, and is there to *support you*.

Not to mention, Pedro is the only Barça player who seems to be having fun on the pitch (other than Busi, who has fun in a laconic two-martinis Dean Martin kinda way). :)

DinhoR10

This is going to happen for sure lmao.

F

Flavia

Yup! :D And Flavia is correct, he is far more easily replaced than Busi (though people here sometimes inexplicably mention Song in the same breath). The only comparison I'm making (besides Pedro's usually awesome first touch) is that his contribution, like Busi's, is often out of the spotlight.
That's actually another problem with Pedro since 2012. His workrate sometimes isn't the same as before. He was invisible in a lot of matches, not even contributing defensively, or with anything else.

Irish_Cules

The Pedro hate is over the top here.We should acknowledge that he has been significantly better this seasonthan he has been for the last two seasons. He's not the Pedro of 2011 and he isn't good enough to start but he's a good squad player and the abuse he's getting is pretty shocking.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I think Pedro's output has been good this season and that he should not be bashed, but to say he's the "Busquets of forwards" is absurd. You can't rationalize it so simply as "this player is criticized but is actually an unappreciated genius, therefore this other criticized player must be the same". Busquets is a rare case in which a player actually performs a background role in a way that is superbly ahead of everyone else. Pedro, while a good support player, is not at all influential on the quality of our play. A truly amazing support player is one whose presence changes everything despite them not being in the spotlight, Pedro doesn't do that much at all.

He is under the radar in some qualities though. I've always thought that in terms of sheer technique, touch, and footwork Pedro is one of the top 3 in the team. However, he doesn't have the mentality that truly special players have to use his qualities to shine and dominate as an individual.

Zebulun

The Pedro hate is over the top here.We should acknowledge that he has been significantly better this seasonthan he has been for the last two seasons. He's not the Pedro of 2011 and he isn't good enough to start but he's a good squad player and the abuse he's getting is pretty shocking.

naww mayn, just read some of the past posts, we don't have a problem with pedro as he's good, but not good enough to be a "starter" in one of the BEST three teams in the world.

Irish_Cules

I'm reffering to the people who race to this thread to give out about him even though he has a decent game and the people who tell him to f**k off etc.

Gohan

Super Saiyan

Truthfully, speaking for myself as a football player, if I had to pick between Messi and Pedro to play with on my team, I'd pick Pedro. Sure, I'd win more with Messi on my team, but I'd have a lot more fun with Pedro.

Have fun with Pedro in your team, but you can't be taken seriously.

Home of Barca Fans