Pedro Rodriguez

BerkeleyBernie

What a terrible attempt to lob the keeper. I reckon Bernie would 've found some positives out of it.

I hadn't watched it until now, was fearing some gawdawful sky ball. To be honest, it was perfectly weighted, and no further off target than Neymar's missed 1v1 in the first half. Both of them should have buried their chances; the only excuse Pedro has is that he'd only gotten like 3 touches since coming on due to the awful wasteful play of Rakitic, Adriano, Bartra, and Alves who successfully killed nearly every attack after Alba and Neymar subbed off.

Alik

Yeah, it wasn't too bad. I was more annoyed by the fact that he didn't pass back to Suarez, who was expecting it.

BerkeleyBernie

Yeah, it wasn't too bad. I was more annoyed by the fact that he didn't pass back to Suarez, who was expecting it.

He didn't see him, as he was looking down lining up his shot. Understandable, as Suarez was the one who made the through pass, and Pedro thought he was alone 1v1 with the keeper. You normally wouldn't expect the guy who just slipped the ball through from 5 yards behind on the right to be arriving at the back post a few seconds later, but Suarez made a great run around to get into that position. Still, Suarez was well marked; even had Pedro seen Suarez, taking a shot would have been the correct choice.

Suarez passes to Pedro:

suarez-pedro-01.jpg

Pedro shoots:

suarez-pedro-02.jpg

F

Flavia

Nah, it was the wrong decision. Suarez was coming from behind the defenders, and would be free, if Pedro had passed the ball.

anguy

Sorry, but if you are one on one against keeper in position like this - you must shoot. Pedro has no eyes on back of his head and no time to think it all through. Every striker is trained to shoot in such situation. The decision was good, the execution bad.

F

Flavia

Sorry, but if you are one on one against keeper in position like this - you must shoot. Pedro has no eyes on back of his head and no time to think it all through. Every striker is trained to shoot in such situation. The decision was good, the execution bad.

The gk was tighting his shooting angle, that's why he tried the lob. Pedro has assisted many goals from similar positions, he shot because the game was already 5-0.

BerkeleyBernie

Second photo shows it should've been a simple pass & an easy tap in.

That's what I first thought, especially when you watch the replays from the goal line angle (and, of course, Suarez looks freer because he continued his run after the defender abandoned his, on realizing the ball was unreachable). But if you watch the main feed (as in the screen capture I posted), the defender marking Suarez is on an inner arc of the the circular path Suarez is running. Even if Suarez is faster, Suarez has to cover more ground to be a clear target. So:

1. Pedro would have to nail a pass with little tolerance for error in order not to be intercepted and put it on Suarez' foot.
2. Even if that path is successful, the defender is still marking Suarez, so now a 1v2 situation.
3. The safest place to put the ball for Suarez is way out in space towards the back post. Suarez would get to it, but gives time for both the defender and keeper to shift. Again, a worse advantage than Pedro's 1v1.

I recommend watching the replay of the live feed. Pedro has virtually no angle to feet, only out into space (even there, a slide tackle from the defender might well intercept it). There is no easy tap-in. And anguy is right- 1v1 with that kind of space/time, and given Suarez' position when he passed Pedro the ball- you shoot.

Last edited:
L

linetty

That's what I first thought, especially when you watch the replays from the goal line angle (and, of course, Suarez looks freer because he continued his run after the defender abandoned his, on realizing the ball was unreachable). But if you watch the main feed (as in the screen capture I posted), the defender marking Suarez is on an inner arc of the the circular path Suarez is running. Even if Suarez is faster, Suarez has to cover more ground to be a clear target. So:

1. Pedro would have to nail a pass with little tolerance for error in order not to be intercepted and put it on Suarez' foot.
2. Even if that path is successful, the defender is still marking Suarez, so now a 1v2 situation.
3. The safest place to put the ball for Suarez is way out in space towards the back post. Suarez would get to it, but gives time for both the defender and keeper to shift. Again, a worse advantage than Pedro's 1v1.

I recommend watching the replay of the live feed. Pedro has virtually no angle to feet, only out into space (even there, a slide tackle from the defender might well intercept it). There is no easy tap-in. And anguy is right- 1v1 with that kind of space/time, and given Suarez' position when he passed Pedro the ball- you shoot.
Seriously man I have lots of respect for you that you find time to go and analyze every move Pedrito does on the pitch, minute by minute and all but...

Even if you're 1v1 with the keeper and you know Messi/Suarez are making a run across the penalty area you pass the fukcing ball for a tap in instead of looking for a fancy chip (especially if your name ain't Messi). But then again, it was 5-0 and last ten minutes of the game so no big deal there.

NeyMesSis

Seriously man I have lots of respect for you that you find time to go and analyze every move Pedrito does on the pitch, minute by minute and all but...

Even if you're 1v1 with the keeper and you know Messi/Suarez are making a run across the penalty area you pass the fukcing ball for a tap in instead of looking for a fancy chip (especially if your name ain't Messi). But then again, it was 5-0 and last ten minutes of the game so no big deal there.

bernie isnt often right but this time he is.. a striker has to shoot in this position

Its to much risk that the pass wouldnt find suarez... and also the execution wasnt this bad

Imo it was a good lob.

..and I'm everything but a pedro fan

L

linetty

Not sure if Pedro can be called a 'striker'. More so a forward & even if he decided to finish it on his own he should've tried to sneak it around the goalkeeper and not go the fancy way. But as I said: Elche, 5-0, ten minutes left. No big deal.

FC B

Nah, it was the wrong decision. Suarez was coming from behind the defenders, and would be free, if Pedro had passed the ball.

I've seen plenty of situations this season when Suarez was not given the clear assist just like this one by Messi or Neymar. I reckon his colleagues don't yet trust enough Suarez as to pass him enough frequently in front of the goal and they prefer to try it on their own usually wasting the chance to score...
The gk was tighting his shooting angle, that's why he tried the lob. Pedro has assisted many goals from similar positions, he shot because the game was already 5-0.

Agreed.

Home of Barca Fans