Pedro Rodriguez

BerkeleyBernie

Nobody can match his workrate but he's never going to be good enough. Doesn't have the technical skills or the vision.

Actually, has damn good technique and sees the field well (and positions well in response, to support the team). Always great at starting counters, because he knows his outlets, like today, releasing ball immediately to Neymar to get it free from the back.

Though he certainly had some poor shots in front of goal earlier in the season, today's assist was a good example of the type of balls he usually receives- making a run at full pace, and trying to get a foot on the ball at the end of it. Nothing simple about them, and often well marked- he makes those chances as much as those providing the balls, with his reading of space, watching the Barça player with the ball, and his great pace. Sometimes, like today, he is able to reach it and control. Other times, it's just a bit much. It's not that he has poor technique, it's that he's often making extreme runs that pushes that technique to the limit.

anguy

Never going to be good enough for what? He's perfectly good enough for our bench and playing a sub role.

He's only good for bench, because he doesn't complain, but he's not an impact sub. I mean, he's not the player you bring on when you are 1:1 20 minutes before the end. He's good to play in small matches when one forward needs to be rested, but I'm not sure it's enough.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Not sub role but he can be used to rest MSN. You can't have them start every match. Pedro is decent enough to be a starter too, nothing compared to MSN but still good enough for more than 10 liga teams.

BerkeleyBernie

He's only good for bench, because he doesn't complain, but he's not an impact sub. I mean, he's not the player you bring on when you are 1:1 20 minutes before the end. He's good to play in small matches when one forward needs to be rested, but I'm not sure it's enough.

If Messi/Neymar/Suarez can't have enough "impact" to get a lead in 70 minutes, I don't know who you could have come off the bench who would do any better; you want Zlatan? If the game's that tight, Pedro is as good as anyone to help the other two break through.

On the flip side, Pedro's a fantastic player to bring on when you *do* have a lead; at that stage of the game, it's like adding two defenders. I can't recall a game where he came on late and didn't snuff out counterattacks, harass and force turnovers in the opposition half, and recover balls to restart the attack. Most teams sit back when they are trying to protect a lead. Barça brings on Pedro.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
If Messi/Neymar/Suarez can't have enough "impact" to get a lead in 70 minutes, I don't know who you could have come off the bench who would do any better; you want Zlatan? If the game's that tight, Pedro is as good as anyone to help the other two break through.

On the flip side, Pedro's a fantastic player to bring on when you *do* have a lead; at that stage of the game, it's like adding two defenders. I can't recall a game where he came on late and didn't snuff out counterattacks, harass and force turnovers in the opposition half, and recover balls to restart the attack. Most teams sit back when they are trying to protect a lead. Barça brings on Pedro.

Totally agree. He was more than OK against Levante. If he keeps it up and Lucho's tactics keeps improving he should get some more minutes from Neymar who neers some rest to be at his best.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Nice cameo vs City. Set up Messi in the box twice in 10 minutes; first, disallowed goal for offsides, the other for the penalty.

I actually kinda blame him for delaying the pass too much for that beautiful Messi chip that was called offside. He was under no pressure at all, and should've easily spotted Messi's run a few seconds earlier.

anguy

Actually there is often times when one of our Trident is not in form and someone from bench would be better solution in that momenteSo no need for Zlatan on the bench, but at least someone who can offer something offensively. The problem is we don't have that guy in Pedro. Look at the Malaga game - all our strikers played poorly, so we brought Pedro and ... nothing happened (besides him blewing our best chance). He's actually quite good sub for defensive purposes, like you said.

L

linetty

Pedro's been great in the minutes he's gotten. I really admire what he does for us coming as a sub. That combination with Messi that led to the penalty was brilliant and the other pass to put Leo through was equally well placed although 2 seconds late which is a damn shame as the finish was simply magisterial.

Home of Barca Fans