Pedro Rodriguez

Zangash

Banned
Deulo won't make it cause he's not good enough, not because Pedro occupies his spot

He hasn't been given a single week as a first team player. It's not fair to write him off yet because of some poor spells on loan. Even JDS got time with the first team, and Sergi Roberto is still here despite not being good enough. I feel like if he was half as talented as he was in the youth systems and still played for Barca B the "He's not good enough" talk would be nowhere to be seen. He's a victim of his own hype, it seems.

BerkeleyBernie

I've always wondered why Berkeley defends Pedro on a regular basis. That's not even fanboyism, it's a new level.

We know that Berkeley plays sunday league football, he has mentioned it quite a few times. My theory is that Berkeley, as a football player, is the same type as Pedro - works his socks off, has got desire, runs a lot without the ball, but is too poor to execute something special. And his envy of more talented players mirrors in him hating and criticizing Neymar (natural talent, therefore doesn't need much work to excel). This might be true even without Berkeley realizing it, because it's in his subconscious; by defending Pedro he also defends himself and convinces himself that he's a decent player.

So, everyone, I suggest you to praise Berkeley's football ability and maybe, then he will stop posting his ridiculous posts concerning Pedro and Neymar, because with the exception of these kinds of posts he's a quality poster and contributes much to the forum. Amen.

:pep:

:D Interesting theory. FAIL.

If you've ever played football in the US, you'd know the problem is people playing England circa 1980 kick and chase hoofball. I'm much more of a Xavi/Iniesta, probably the most accurate passer of the ball in most games- far more frustrating than being a Pedro, since all people want to do is hoof the ball towards the opposite goal and chase down the pitch into the box en masse. For example, give a back pass to bring a teammate into the play, and they boot it (which I could just as easily have done in the first place; pointless). Always a pleasure to play with internationals or semi-pros who play a more modern tactical technical game. They immediately see that we're on the same page, and start working combinations.

L

linetty

He hasn't been given a single week as a first team player. It's not fair to write him off yet because of some poor spells on loan. Even JDS got time with the first team, and Sergi Roberto is still here despite not being good enough. I feel like if he was half as talented as he was in the youth systems and still played for Barca B the "He's not good enough" talk would be nowhere to be seen. He's a victim of his own hype, it seems.
Deulofeu is a very likeable player but it doesn't seem like he made noticeable progress in recent years, don't know what's holding him back from having a significant number of minutes of action at Sevilla either. I can recall him having a decent number of assists despite getting very few action time though. Sergi Roberto and JDS are a different story because they're midfielders. It was/it is much easier to have some decent minutes ahead of aging Xavi etc. than ahead of Messi/Neymar/Suarez/Alexis who want to play every single minute. All in all, Gerard definitely deserves a shot considering guys like Sergi Roberto or JDS did but it's a bit more difficult in his case. Always hoped he'd be our Ronaldo :)lol:) but now it doesn't look nearly as bright as when he was 17.

Zangash

Banned

If you've ever played football in the US, you'd know the problem is people playing England circa 1980 kick and chase hoofball. I'm much more of a Xavi/Iniesta, probably the most accurate passer of the ball in most games- far more frustrating than being a Pedro, since all people want to do is hoof the ball towards the opposite goal and chase down the pitch into the box en masse. For example, give a back pass to bring a teammate into the play, and they boot it (which I could just as easily have done in the first place; pointless). Always a pleasure to play with internationals or semi-pros who play a more modern tactical technical game. They immediately see that we're on the same page, and start working combinations.

Sounds like you're playing on some pretty poor teams. That's not how I played at all in my youth, although I play club. This raises issues about US soccer as a whole and why the MLS will eternally be a joke to me, but I suppose that's a conversation for another time.

Zangash

Banned
Deulofeu is a very likeable player but it doesn't seem like he made noticeable progress in recent years, don't know what's holding him back from having a significant number of minutes of action at Sevilla either. I can recall him having a decent number of assists despite getting very few action time though. Sergi Roberto and JDS are a different story because they're midfielders. It was/it is much easier to have some decent minutes ahead of aging Xavi etc. than ahead of Messi/Neymar/Suarez/Alexis who want to play every single minute. All in all, Gerard definitely deserves a shot considering guys like Sergi Roberto or JDS did but it's a bit more difficult in his case. Always hoped he'd be our Ronaldo :)lol:) but now it doesn't look nearly as bright as when he was 17.

If you send Deulofeu back to Barca B he instantly becomes their best player by far. All this talk of refraining from loaning out Munir or promoting Samper because the B team needs him are nothing compared to the impact he'd have if he went back to Barca B. The kid doesn't look as bright because he's playing tougher opposition in teams he is unfamiliar with. Bring him back and give him the minutes Pedro isn't doing anything with and see how he improves then. I'm confident that's the only way we'll see any significant improvement from him.

BerkeleyBernie

Sounds like you're playing on some pretty poor teams. That's not how I played at all in my youth, although I play club. This raises issues about US soccer as a whole and why the MLS will eternally be a joke to me, but I suppose that's a conversation for another time.

US organized soccer is evolving (finally, thank gawd), but this is pickup and rec league stuff. If I continue to get more fit, I might look for a higher level team playing more technical ball. Don't get me wrong; there are a lot of good technical players, but we get drowned out by the hoofers. Just takes one of them to mess up a sequence. I always try to find the other good players and get near them on the pitch.

klc123

What level do you play at?
I know it's the US, but that sounds like an exceptionally poor standard of football.

edit:
Even the recreational football leagues in England play a much higher quality of football than what you are describing, at schoolboy level we were playing fairly decent level football, although my school was regularly in competition for the national cup.

BerkeleyBernie

What level do you play at?
I know it's the US, but that sounds like an exceptionally poor standard of football.

edit:
Even the recreational football leagues in England play a much higher quality of football than what you are describing, at schoolboy level we were playing fairly decent level football, although my school was regularly in competition for the national cup.

I don't doubt it.

Here, it is pretty piss poor. Like I said, there are plenty of good players (like those who've played college ball, some internationals, and semi-pros who drop in), but they are always swimming against a tide of players who think only forward, long, and in the channels and can't hit a decent 5 yard carpet pass. I'm lucky if I can find one or two players on a team who I can play 1-2s with; on the rare occasions there's actually more than that, we dominate the opposition. I'm sure it's better at higher levels, like club play where players actually have practices, but weekend warrior and informal rec leagues are mostly crap.

Kohe321

Bernie, a quick question if you don't mind: if we were playing a CL final tomorrow, would you start Pedro over Neymar? :)

Hamzah

High Definition Member
I don't doubt it.

Here, it is pretty piss poor. Like I said, there are plenty of good players (like those who've played college ball, some internationals, and semi-pros who drop in), but they are always swimming against a tide of players who think only forward, long, and in the channels and can't hit a decent 5 yard carpet pass. I'm lucky if I can find one or two players on a team who I can play 1-2s with; on the rare occasions there's actually more than that, we dominate the opposition. I'm sure it's better at higher levels, like club play where players actually have practices, but weekend warrior and informal rec leagues are mostly crap.

That happened to at at school. Scottish football is filled with hoofball and ball hoggers who are shit.

BerkeleyBernie

Bernie, a quick question if you don't mind: if we were playing a CL final tomorrow, would you start Pedro over Neymar? :)

Would depend on the opponent, but most likely Neymar. He is clearly the better finisher this season, though I'm not convinced he adds anything else to the team. So that assumes that he will get service.

If you are worried about the opponent attack down the left and Alba exposed, Pedro should be considered. Or, if Neymar is likely to be marked out of the game, Pedro is more likely to have less turnovers and circulate the ball to his teammates.

L

linetty

though I'm not convinced he adds anything else to the team
Now it's getting funny :lol: That's just pure understatement. Currently, Pedro can't even be mentioned in the same breath as Neymar.

'We are more solid with Pedro instead of Neymar on the pitch' is also a good joke.

Home of Barca Fans