Pedro Rodriguez

Kohe321

All of those points presuppose that Pedro chose to stay in order to play as a forward, and thus a backup next season as well. That might not be the case at all. We've discussed the possibilities of him moving to RWB next season, and if Dani ends up leaving after all, the chance of this being the case is even bigger.

Kohe321

I doubt Pedro would have chosen to renew like this if his talk with Lucho revealed that he would keep playing as a backup forward for MSN. That would mean another season with only a handful of games started, and he looked so frustrated with his situation at the end of the season that I don't think he's suddenly changed his mind about being a backup player.

Stric

All of those points presuppose that Pedro chose to stay in order to play as a forward, and thus a backup next season as well. That might not be the case at all. We've discussed the possibilities of him moving to RWB next season, and if Dani ends up leaving after all, the chance of this being the case is even bigger.

I could be wrong, but I seriously can't see that happening.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
I doubt Pedro would have chosen to renew like this if his talk with Lucho revealed that he would keep playing as a backup forward for MSN. That would mean another season with only a handful of games started, and he looked so frustrated with his situation at the end of the season that I don't think he's suddenly changed his mind about being a backup player.

True, but that's a BIG bet to renew him before actually trying him in that position no ?
I mean his contracts wasn't expiring this summer, so we could have at least tried him there for a season.

Also, I don't know how switching to RB can help him with the NT, even if he gets minuts, he won't have good offensive stats so his worries about losing his spot with la roja are still legit.

Kohe321

I could be wrong, but I seriously can't see that happening.

That may be, but let me point to my second post above. I don't think he has accepted to renew under the premise of being solely a backup player, in fact I'm fairly certain Lucho has revealed a plan on how to use him more. The RB position is up for grabs if Dani leaves, and if Pedro can successfully reposition (like Juanfran did in Atletico), then it would seriously lessen the blow of losing a player like Alves. Again, having Messi, Rakitic and Pedro together on the right side would be a good combination of players and attributes.

Kohe321

True, but that's a BIG bet to renew him before actually trying him in that position no ?
I mean his contracts wasn't expiring this summer, so we could have at least tried him there for a season.

Also, I don't know how switching to RB can help him with the NT, even if he gets minuts, he won't have good offensive stats so his worries about losing his spot with la roja are still legit.

It's a bit risky, but if Alves leaves then why not try, we're pretty much out of better options. And he could easily turn out to be a great fit at RB, I mean Pedro pretty much ticks most of the boxes that is required for a fullback at Barca, and how we use them almost as midfielders and attackers at once. It could turn out to work similarly to how Alba is bossing the left side.

I trust Lucho has a good plan for him, and they might have tried this out in training enough to give Lucho a sense of how it would work. His man management has been spot on, so if that's his plan I'm all for it.

Last edited:

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
It's a bit risky, but if Alves leaves then why not try, we're pretty much out of better options. And he could easily turn out to be a great fit at RB, I mean Pedro pretty much ticks most of the boxes that is required for a fullback at Barca, and how we use them as almost midfielders and attackers at once. It could turn out to work similarly to how Alba is bossing the left side.

I completely agree mate, I value Pedro and what he can bring in either position, I just find it a bit radical of a change, from may be leaving to renewed till 2019, just because he "could" be good at RB, too much too fast I think.

spark

Good news considering the transfer ban. I hope there aren't any strange conditions in this new contract. I can already picture it next year.

"Breaking news: Pedro buyout drops to 5 million because didn't start a certain amount of games."

mark1nhu

Great news.

Pedro is a valuable piece to our squad. We would lose too much without him.

I hope he can be and stay happy with us.

anguy

I don't understand why people think Pedro could be good enough for RB. He has good workrate and defends good FOR a FORWARD. But as RB his defending is nothing special. Major problem is that he can't tackle, as forward he's just harassing opponents to force mistakes, but as FB you can't just harass them, you need to take the ball away and he can't do it very well.

I'd rather see DOuglas as RB, than Pedro.

Great news.
Pedro is a valuable piece to our squad. We would lose too much without him.

No he's not. He's playing few minutes and when he plays he offers very little, especially against stronger teams.

Stric

No he's not. He's playing few minutes and when he plays he offers very little, especially against stronger teams.

Yes he is, because he still offers more than anyone else we have for that position. He is literally our only first-team forward other than MSN.

JamDav1982

I don't understand why people think Pedro could be good enough for RB. He has good workrate and defends good FOR a FORWARD. But as RB his defending is nothing special. Major problem is that he can't tackle, as forward he's just harassing opponents to force mistakes, but as FB you can't just harass them, you need to take the ball away and he can't do it very well.

I'd rather see DOuglas as RB, than Pedro.

Pedro was one of Barcelonas best players when they beat Atletico to win the league, he also came on and scored important second goal against Real Sociedad in a tight game.

Home of Barca Fans