Pep Guardiola

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Pep's a legend but he really oughta make his decision by the end of the month. It would be irresponsible and disrespectful to keep the club and the players on the ice for so long. Bottom line, his decision affects many others.
When did he announce his renewal last year?

Maria

Offside Barcelona @BarcaTheOffside Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Pep says that he can't say anything about renewing his contract: he's not sure about it and is going to take more time to think it through.

Mundo Deportivo(who, by the way, belongs to Rosell's family) has already started a campaign against Pep by saying that there are 300 coaches like him in the world, that he doesn't know how to buy players, that Xavi should have played in the last games in the league etc. All this while hidding Rosell's affairs with Teixeira..if Pep doesn't win at least one more title till the end off the season, I don't think he will stay. And not because he wouldn't want to, but because the press won't allow him. Cruyff was right when he talked about the famous "entorno"..or was it Van Gaal?

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Need to have Cruyff back in the picture so he can act as a lightning rod for protecting Pep & calling out Rosell

Clockwise

Buccaneer
Guardiola: "Fans asking for renewal? I'm grateful for that. Although if we wouldn't have won so much, they'd sure be throwing stones."

:cry: does Pep read this forum?

Clockwise

Buccaneer
Mundo Deportivo(who, by the way, belongs to Rosell's family) has already started a campaign against Pep by saying that there are 300 coaches like him in the world, that he doesn't know how to buy players, that Xavi should have played in the last games in the league etc. All this while hidding Rosell's affairs with Teixeira..if Pep doesn't win at least one more title till the end off the season, I don't think he will stay. And not because he wouldn't want to, but because the press won't allow him. Cruyff was right when he talked about the famous "entorno"..or was it Van Gaal?

As long as Pep has the fans support to the scale he has now, they can't throw him off with media attacks. If they try that, they will only push themselves off the picture. fans have much more trust and emotional connection to Pep after four years of brilliance than MD or similar papers can gain over their lifetime. As long as Pep has got the trust of his players and fans, him leaving or staying is in his own hands only. Rosell would only make his already not so impressive popularity level drop lower by going obvious or even hinting about being against Pep.

DucdeOrléans

Pep's a legend but he really oughta make his decision by the end of the month. It would be irresponsible and disrespectful to keep the club and the players on the ice for so long. Bottom line, his decision affects many others.
When did he announce his renewal last year?

I agree Bojan. I think I read in Sport that it was in February (14th) last year if I am not mistaken.

The uncertainty is starting to affect the club and team if it has not already.

Imagine if Messi or another crucial member of our team were still undecided on whether they should renew their contract or leave for free next season.

I know it can't be compared but there are nevertheless still similarities.

I am getting a bit worried of the prospect of Pep possibly quitting the team this summer.

The board are completely unprepared for such a decision which is proven by Zubi's recent interview. (He was asked whether they had thought about any substitutes for Pep should he decide to leave to which he replied, no....)

B

barcelonista

He needs to stop acting like an Emo girl. Of course people would be throwing stones if he had not won much over the years. How is this anything new in football? You don't win => you get fired (exception: Wenger). Business as usual. Every coach has to live with that in mind. He's not an exception.

I'll be hugely disappointed if he does not sign for at least one more year. He can't leave just when Mourinho has built a team and we're facing some difficulties for the first time in the league. SIGN. THE. FUCKING. CONTRACT.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Zubi being asked about potential replacements for Pep?...How could he conceivably answer anything but no?...It's a preposterous conclusion to draw from the required & given response...Anything other than no would undermine the belief in Pep

People can speculate all they like and whenever Pep decides to leave, no amount of preparation is going to soften that blow...Transition will be just that, a transition

DucdeOrléans

Zubi being asked about potential replacements for Pep?...How could he conceivably answer anything but no?...It's a preposterous conclusion to draw from the required & given response...Anything other than no would undermine the belief in Pep

People can speculate all they like and whenever Pep decides to leave, no amount of preparation is going to soften that blow...Transition will be just that, a transition

How would it undermine the belief in Pep? I think it is not a secret that Pep is the preferred option by far.

But as Pep has said himself on numerous occasions, he won't stay for too long.

I hope the board don't have the same view as you have FCBarca.

When Pep was hired in 2008 people were talking about a transitition period as well and look how it turned out.

I am by no means saying that a Pep exit would be easy to cope with but surely the club's fundament is good enough to continue in more or less the same fashion (or at least similar fashion) as long as the squad is as good as it is right now and the club as stable as it has been in the past few years.

Last edited:

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
How would it undermine the belief in Pep? I think it is not a secret that Pep is the preferred option by far.

But as Pep has said himself on numerous occasions, he won't stay for too long.

I hope the board don't have the same view as you have FCBarca.

When Pep was hired in 2008 people were talking about a transitition period as well and look how it turned out.

I am by no means saying that a Pep exit would be easy to cope with but surely the club's fundament is good enough to continue in more or less the same fashion (or at least similar fashion) as long as the squad is as good as it is right now and the club as stable as it has been in the past few years.

Have you learned nothing watching Pep with this club?...He airs little in the media unless there's a purpose to it...Nothing is revealed that can conceivably undermine the balance...That includes speculative discussions...It was something Pep pushed with Laporta and Rosell has largely obliged that position, as far as I can tell

Speculating on a potential replacement mushrooms a discussion both about those potential replacements as well as addressing it with Pep and the club...over & over again until it dominates media coverage...That kind of circus was common before but not under Pep - he wants that kept to a minimum...And I've been watching Zubi carefully, he is clearly from Pep's school of thinking in terms of reveal to the press...He'd never entertain a conversation speculating on replacements for Pep...That's the prudent approach and for this being his rookie season as the Sporting Director of such a massive club at it's peak, it's all the more impressive

And you talk of Pep as if he's just some kid they plucked outta La Masia to coach this team...Not every La Masia cadete is going to be Messi anymore than they're going to be Cruyff or Pep...It's pretty daft to even suggest that someone else will waltz in and go transition-less to trump Pep's achievements...At best, the next coach of this team will continue to win but no one is going to be better than Pep...Guarantee there will be transition, both sporting and non-sporting...We'll see changes we only faintly can recall from a bygone era at the club...They broke the mold with Guardiola

A massive club is not unlike a massive corporation, it's poor business sense to discuss replacement heads to your business in the media when your current head is still...at the head...That's something a small club does

DucdeOrléans

Have you learned nothing watching Pep with this club?...He airs little in the media unless there's a purpose to it...Nothing is revealed that can conceivably undermine the balance...That includes speculative discussions...It was something Pep pushed with Laporta and Rosell has largely obliged that position, as far as I can tell

Speculating on a potential replacement mushrooms a discussion both about those potential replacements as well as addressing it with Pep and the club...over & over again until it dominates media coverage...That kind of circus was common before but not under Pep - he wants that kept to a minimum...And I've been watching Zubi carefully, he is clearly from Pep's school of thinking in terms of reveal to the press...He'd never entertain a conversation speculating on replacements for Pep...That's the prudent approach and for this being his rookie season as the Sporting Director of such a massive club at it's peak, it's all the more impressive

And you talk of Pep as if he's just some kid they plucked outta La Masia to coach this team...Not every La Masia cadete is going to be Messi anymore than they're going to be Cruyff or Pep...It's pretty daft to even suggest that someone else will waltz in and go transition-less to trump Pep's achievements...At best, the next coach of this team will continue to win but no one is going to be better than Pep...Guarantee there will be transition, both sporting and non-sporting...We'll see changes we only faintly can recall from a bygone era at the club...They broke the mold with Guardiola

A massive club is not unlike a massive corporation, it's poor business sense to discuss replacement heads to your business in the media when your current head is still...at the head...That's something a small club does

You are concluding too much right now.

My main worry (and others) is the uncertainty that is slowly growing stronger and stronger due to Pep not having made a decision yet. That uncertainty has with all possibility already affected the team in a negative way and if that has not been the case it surely will.

In the past few weeks various players have commented on Pep's situation daily and the media surely does not help in that regard.

What I am opposed to is that mentality of it being "impossible" to perform at a similar level (I did NOT say the same level BTW) or even improve should Pep decide to leave. That's a mentality of a small club.

I don't know if you are aware of this but the position of Pep has already been discussed openly on several occasions both by Pep himself, Rosell, Zubi and the players just like all those parties have commented on a future FCB without Pep.

So your main argument of commenting on Pep's position openly being the same as undermining him as a person, is already proving not to be bulletproof.

My decision to even include Zubi's recent interview in Sport had nothing to do with the main part of my posts (which was the uncertainty the unresolved position of Pep has caused or can cause this season) but just an simple observation of the board (probably) not being prepared should Pep decide to quit this summer (which there is a possibility of) which I find unprofesional.

There was even a blog on Sport by Joan Vehils on this matter recently that stated how crucial it will be to choose the right replacement and not panic as has been the case too many times before at FCB. And I can guarantee you that this exact thing will happen once again if the board first decides to look after a replacement the day Pep officially leaves.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans