Pep Guardiola

Yugo Count Dante

Don't think he necessarily does want the Chelsea job (and for the record I don't like them either, for the same reason I don't like City), but I am perhaps a minority in doubting much (most?) of what's said in the English and large parts of the Spanish media especially regarding transfers.

The football being about money discussion is one for a different time and place and yes, I suspect we'd disagree on things there.
Would love to hear you views on where you'd like him to coach (apart from coming back at Barca), if you'd like him to coach again. If you got time, would also like to hear the reasoning why certain clubs are preferred over others, without the obvious 'full of history' argument.

I didn't mention the English media, I myself don't like rumours either, but that was irrelevant to what I said or wish.

W

woobie

Where I'd like him to coach is irrelevant. Where he himself has said he's interested coaching is a bit of an odd choice: Brescia, an Italian club currently in the second division. Guardiola did play there for a time (when Brescia were in Serie A) and perhaps he was just making polite comments on visits there, but he did say it more than once. It'd be an interesting challenge for him on a professional level: with limited transfer funds, building and coaching a team, etc. Whether he was serious and would actually do it? Not the slightest idea. Also no idea if he intends to return to coaching or wants to try a different sort of role in football. I can't see him staying totally away from football for an extended period.

I don't, for what it's worth, see him coaching the Spanish NT. Pep is a very proud Catalan and there'd be a fair amount of political fallout if he were offered or took that job - and I'm not sure he'd take it.

The certain clubs preferred thing is a matter of perspective and eveyrone has a different take on that. I'm one of the older boardmembers here (I remember, for example, the 1994 CL final. I also remember Heysel) and because I've been watching football since the mid-80s (thank you italian grandfather!), I don't see things the same way someone who's just been watching since Barca won in Rome. For me the history argument is a big one because in most of those cases (possible exception being made for aspects of the current Madrid) most of the clubs who have 2 or more CL trophies have a degree of prestige that all the oil money in the world can't buy, Russian or Arab. These clubs are rightly considered prestigious and are deserving of respect - from Ajax to Benfica to Bayern to Liverpool to Milan and yes including Madrid. These clubs have class (again, excepting some aspects of the current Madrid but historically they do have class and I adore Butragueno). There's a reason some players will want to play for those clubs even if they're not quite in the stratosphere right now. So yeah, a Liverpool or United over City or Chelsea any day of the week.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Where I'd like him to coach is irrelevant. Where he himself has said he's interested coaching is a bit of an odd choice: Brescia, an Italian club currently in the second division. Guardiola did play there for a time (when Brescia were in Serie A) and perhaps he was just making polite comments on visits there, but he did say it more than once. It'd be an interesting challenge for him on a professional level: with limited transfer funds, building and coaching a team, etc. Whether he was serious and would actually do it? Not the slightest idea. Also no idea if he intends to return to coaching or wants to try a different sort of role in football. I can't see him staying totally away from football for an extended period.

I don't, for what it's worth, see him coaching the Spanish NT. Pep is a very proud Catalan and there'd be a fair amount of political fallout if he were offered or took that job - and I'm not sure he'd take it.

The certain clubs preferred thing is a matter of perspective and eveyrone has a different take on that. I'm one of the older boardmembers here (I remember, for example, the 1994 CL final. I also remember Heysel) and because I've been watching football since the mid-80s (thank you italian grandfather!), I don't see things the same way someone who's just been watching since Barca won in Rome. For me the history argument is a big one because in most of those cases (possible exception being made for aspects of the current Madrid) most of the clubs who have 2 or more CL trophies have a degree of prestige that all the oil money in the world can't buy, Russian or Arab. These clubs are rightly considered prestigious and are deserving of respect - from Ajax to Benfica to Bayern to Liverpool to Milan and yes including Madrid. These clubs have class (again, excepting some aspects of the current Madrid but historically they do have class and I adore Butragueno). There's a reason some players will want to play for those clubs even if they're not quite in the stratosphere right now. So yeah, a Liverpool or United over City or Chelsea any day of the week.

^ Oldie! :wub:

Maria

I wouldn't like him at Chelsea either..City would be the easiest route as they have money and amazing players and for a manager to follow SAF at MU it would be a nightmare(even more so then the one who follows Pep at Barca) for so many reasons and I think that at the beginning they should go for someone who knows the club and if that fails they should bring Mourinho or Pep. As for Liverpool, I've comed to dislike in the last year, but if Pep would manage to pull them from the mess they are in right now, then he would be the greatest manager ever for me.

Next year I think Bayern would be the perfect club for Pep: they have history(which,as woobie said, is very important), stability and the players for the football Pep wants his team to play. And as far as I know Heynckes wants to retire in 2013..the only question is if Pep wants to go in Germany.

Yugo Count Dante

Yes, it is true, mass attracts mass... and therefore you are most likely to achieve more success in clubs that already have won things in the past. But this shouldn't be the driving force behind someone's choice to join a club, unfortunately it is. It is the combination of the financial means that clubs have and their status, although the financial side is the important one. People often tell you that there are certain players who stay at the club where they started and stayed there their whole career, but if you think about it this is either due to the fact that this club can afford them (i.e has the same financial powers as the others) or the player himself is simply not good enough to be attracted somewhere else.

Yes, you are right, I am 20 years old. My love for football started with looking up to my brother and watching the national team of the country I was born in. The transition to club football kicked in after my brother bought me cleats of Figo who was a player of Barcelona and was considered to be one of the best in that period of time. So in a way you could say I was attracted to Barcelona due to it's success, but back then it had little to do with being a supporter, my admiration for Barcelona came after I obtained enough knowledge about football to form my own opinion about the style and the clubs. With the emerging of Ronaldinho I was completely sold out, as a football fan I support individual players too (often before they join 'big' clubs). So in a way I was attracted by 'success' but it's whatever. I don't necessary judge clubs by their success but I always tend to support the 'underdog' in neutral games I watch.

You mentioned that you considered a club to have a degree of prestige if they have 2 or more European cups. This is true, but this should not be of relevance to being a supporter or the reason why one supports a club, unfortunately it is. Yet it's funny to see people often attack others for being 'glory hunters', while in fact it was the success (i.e the exposure) that attracted the 'fans'. Off course this is a personal thing and is more detailed than that I described, I am aware of this. It is the most beautiful thing to be born in a city with a rich football history for a football fan, but unfortunately most of us are not born in such an environment. According to the 'history' argument one should seek to support/work/associate with clubs that have the 'prestige'. This would mean we all should limit ourselves to the selected few who got the prestige, excluding those who have not. This is the part that I simply refuse to agree with. I'd rather see someone come up from nothing, some who can fight himself up. I'd say my admiration for Barcelona is a combination of my love for football, the independence struggle of the Catalan people and the fact I think the club suits my personality. Others could see this as glory hunting, but honestly I don't blame them nor do I care.

You yourself mentioned you were born in a certain era. If we asked our grand parents who they consider clubs with prestige they might have a slightly different view on all of this. Perhaps the clubs who now have the prestige, were the 'City' in their time?

Therefore I don't spread hate to clubs who finally found the means to break trough the hierarchy of clubs who rule based on their 'history'. And this all is one of the reasons I don't mind Pep building something new, not only this, but actually CREATE history, instead of to 'expand' history.....

Last edited:

Yugo Count Dante

I wouldn't like him at Chelsea either..City would be the easiest route as they have money and amazing players and for a manager to follow SAF at MU it would be a nightmare(even more so then the one who follows Pep at Barca) for so many reasons and I think that at the beginning they should go for someone who knows the club and if that fails they should bring Mourinho or Pep. As for Liverpool, I've comed to dislike in the last year, but if Pep would manage to pull them from the mess they are in right now, then he would be the greatest manager ever for me.

Next year I think Bayern would be the perfect club for Pep: they have history(which,as woobie said, is very important), stability and the players for the football Pep wants his team to play. And as far as I know Heynckes wants to retire in 2013..the only question is if Pep wants to go in Germany.
Would LOVE to see him at Bayern. + although it's again not based on history per se for me.

W

woobie

The money thing is a different issue though: the vast sums that some clubs have pumped into the tranfer market (not just the oil money, the Sky revenue has its part too at least for English clubs) has distorted the transfer market all over europe. I also don't think it's a sustainable model to be running the massive deficits that most clubs have been doing over the last decade or so - and given that player wages are the single biggest line item in most clubs' budgets (unless they're building new stadia or, for example, have massive loan payments), that's the one that needs to be looked at and cut down. City and Chelsea (and not just them, they're valid examples) are perpetuating it by the crazy money they've spent.

There's also the issue of identity. The money clubs don't have the same sense of identity that the other clubs do. Yes, they may be quite old in terms of history. But some very rich people essentially playing Monopoly with football players doesn't forge a club identity and doesn't forge a team. That's something that Chelsea's working on but it's something City hasn't really dealt with yet.

Yugo Count Dante

I used to have the same view as you, but then I realised it was mere hate perpetuated by the press and people who either have a phobia for change or tend not to look at others (i.e imply double standards). I am not blind to the problems money brings to this world in general, but we should deal with the fact we live in a capitalistic world that tends to exploit things in general. With that being said we should move on and see the many positive thing the emerging of these kind of money 'pumped' clubs.

After all, money plays (or should I rather say should not) no role when the players are on the pitch, and that, after all is what the neutral football fan gets to see.

W

woobie

I used to have the same view as you, but then I realised it was mere hate perpetuated by the press and people who either have a phobia for change or tend not to look at others (i.e imply double standards). I am not blind to the problems money brings to this world in general, but we should deal with the fact we live in a capitalistic world that tends to exploit things in general. With that being said we should move on and see the many positive thing the emerging of these kind of money 'pumped' clubs.

After all, money plays (or should I rather say should not) no role when the players are on the pitch, and that, after all is what the neutral football fan gets to see.

Sorry, disagree that the whole money issue is hate or bias related. I think it's a serious problem.

And honestly I don't see anything much in the way of positives coming out of Chelsea or City (or PSG to name a third club in similar circumstances).

But yeah, this discussion has run its course here because we're not going to agree.

How about we talk about Pep since this is the Pep thread?

Yugo Count Dante

Sorry, disagree that the whole money issue is hate or bias related. I think it's a serious problem.

And honestly I don't see anything much in the way of positives coming out of Chelsea or City (or PSG to name a third club in similar circumstances).

But yeah, this discussion has run its course here because we're not going to agree.

How about we talk about Pep since this is the Pep thread?
Well, it is Pep related in the sense that we were talking about his future, and where somebody would like him to continue his coaching (apart from Barcelona that is). Like I said I am not blind to the problems it brings, but too often I see people attack City with groundless arguments the media perpetuated and common hate slurs.

W

woobie

If people don't like City, it's not automatically groundless media-derived hate.

But anyway, to Pep.

If he does take a coaching job at another club, it will be interesting to see how he does. The stars were aligned with this Barcelona - right players, right coach, good undestanding - and it'll be interesting to see how he does helping to create the same thing in another place.

JDaniels

If people don't like City, it's not automatically groundless media-derived hate.

But anyway, to Pep.

If he does take a coaching job at another club, it will be interesting to see how he does. The stars were aligned with this Barcelona - right players, right coach, good undestanding - and it'll be interesting to see how he does helping to create the same thing in another place.

tumblr_m3aojbJq5G1qfok7b.gif

Yugo Count Dante

But anyway, to Pep.

I agree with both things you said.

Yeah it certainly is interesting, I hope he doesn't take the risking challenge of managing a club that does not have the 'quality' players. IMO he should first start a project somewhere where he has the financial means and total control, I think City is among those clubs where I think he'd have the perfect total control.

DennyCrane

Funny how people tossing the name "Bayern" into the ring thereby demonstrating how they basically know nothing about that club. Of all clubs in the world, this is probably the club Pep is least likely to ever manage. There are golden rules in Munich - the profile of requirements to coach there are crystal clear:

The designated coach

- Must speak german - period.

- Must be an old friend of Hoeneß, Rummenigge or at least Beckenbauer or he's bearing the name Hitzfeld. If not, he's eyed very closely from day one.

- Must have played at the club with the exception of Lothar Matthäus who is even less likely than Pep to ever coach there. If not, same as above.

- Must never know more about the game than Uli Hoeneß. If he does, and Hoeneß finds out, he's immediately removed from the vicinity, forever shunned and branded as a "difficult person" in the next sky90 interview. In such occasions, the club may nevertheless feed off the posession style that coach teached these lame-ass players.

- Must always accept the players the "Uli-Hoeneß-lookalike-contest-winner" aka Christian Nerlinger wants to sign - no matter how lame they are.

- Must give an interview to BILD or Focus, or at least another magazine owned by Helmut Markwort, every two days - this can't be stressed enough.

- Must always pretend not to know that Philipp Lahm leakes dressing-room information to the magazines mentioned above in order to recieve high marks in their player rating.

- Must always field the players Nerlinger signed + never bench Lahm and Schweinsteiger no matter their form-curve.

- Must always keep silent in the dressing room if Hoeneß/Rummenigge/Nerlinger decide to show up and start yelling at the players and start throwing stuff through the dressing room. Afterwards, the coach has to repeatedly state he didn't even know they were there.

and, most importantly, never EVER use the players as he sees fit AND/OR change the formation that was used in the year before.

Home of Barca Fans