Pep Guardiola

StarLord

One of the dumbest postings I've ever read on these boards.

Comparing Pep's and Jupp's careers by the measure of years per CL trophy, makes my brain go *boom*. Also, what is more likely, that everyone other than you and well-known Barca-braggards like StarLord are the only ones who saw they light, while everyone else was fooled, or that everyone simply saw things for what they were and you and StarLord are merely trying to do some disgraceful historical revisionism?

Why do you have to resort to name-calling whenever Bayern's pride is challenged?

The basis of your delusion, is that had Heynckes stayed at the helm, the 13/14 and 14/15 seasons would never have happened. Tell me really, outside of 12/13, when did Bayern ever look like the undisputed best team in Europe?

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Why do you have to resort to name-calling whenever Bayern's pride is challenged?

The basis of your delusion, is that had Heynckes stayed at the helm, the 13/14 and 14/15 seasons would never have happened. Tell me really, outside of 12/13, when did Bayern ever look like the undisputed best team in Europe?

Early seventies.

Braggard is name-calling for you? But even if, I'm sorry, but we've had enough encounters between ourselves to know that you hold Barca above everything else, which is absolutely within your right, while taking away from other teams. Have you seen Bayern fans trying to take away from Pep's Barca? I don't think so. But you and a few fellows try to do the exact same thing for Bayern at every opportunity. :)

1) no delusion, 2) don't try to construct another straw man yet again, even if 90% of your discussion style is made up of straw men. I have not quite given up on you yet :) Still, don't presume that you know what I think or might have said as your presumption is almost always incorrect.

Last edited:

StarLord

Early seventies.

Braggard is name-calling for you? But even if, I'm sorry, but we had enough encounters between ourselves to you hold Barca above everything else, which is absolutely your right, while taking away from other teams. Have you seen Bayern fans trying to take away from Pep's Barca? I don't think so. But you and a few fellows try to do the exact same thing for Bayern at every opportunity. :)

1) no delusion, 2) don't try to construct another straw man. You don't know what I think or might have said.

You systematically label other peoples comments as laughable or dumb if they dare challenge the inflated self-perception of Bayern's.

Early seventies was the time of Ajax, Bayern had their run in the mid-seventies. But that world is long-gone, and in the recent period, Bayern were very much an underdog until 2013 happened. Most of you are making all kinds of excuses for recent Bayern failures, while conveniently forgetting the good fortune you had in previous seasons in the CL such as Lyon in the semis, Marseille in QFs, penalty-shootouts, Fiorentina scandal etc etc etc. Bayern were an eminently beatable side for most of the last decade.

Edit: What is it so special about Bayern that makes it some kind of shock (or even failure) to lose in the CL semis to Barca/Real Madrid?

Last edited:
R

Ryu Hayabusa

You systematically label other peoples comments as laughable or dumb if they dare challenge the inflated self-perception of Bayern's.

Early seventies was the time of Ajax, Bayern had their run in the mid-seventies. But that world is long-gone, and in the recent period, Bayern were very much an underdog until 2013 happened. Most of you are making all kinds of excuses for recent Bayern failures, while conveniently forgetting the good fortune you had in previous seasons in the CL such as Lyon in the semis, Marseille in QFs, penalty-shootouts, Fiorentina scandal etc etc etc. Bayern were an eminently beatable side for most of the last decade.

Depends on what you define as "early" and "late", or even "mid". I had made a distinction of "early" and "late" in my head, as it seemed sufficient to make you understand. See, this is why your straw men never work out.

Anyways, that other guy's comment WAS inherently laughable, for obvious reasons (horrible logic in his reasoning, not just the claims made). You just happened to agree with him for your own reasons (what I called a Barca-braggard for purely descriptive reasons ;) ), that's why you defend the undefendable now.

Last edited:

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Star lord you are showing a lack of knowledge of football history. Bayern are a big club and any big club considers anything less than a CL win a failure.

DennyCrane

In other news, Pep just announced in his press conference that he'll stay at Bayern for the next season. As I posted before, this announcement comes at the right time to serve as a message to their team Edit: and the club environment.

Last edited:
R

Ryu Hayabusa

In other news, Pep just announced in his press conference that he'll stay at Bayern for the next season. As I posted before, this announcement comes at the right time to serve as a message to their team Edit: and the club environment.

Yeah, though I don't think there is a great chance of him signing a new contract with Bayern. He'll try his best next season, again, to prove a point and leave after winning that CL trrophy, marking his Bayern spell a success after all, or by coming up short yet again and essentially admitting to failure. Seeing how he was robbed of many of his best players throughout the whole season, espcially during that period during which he needed them the most, I think it is only fair for him to try one more time, hopefully with better luck the coming season.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
His main challenge is keeping his players fit as they all know his philosphy by now. He must know when to train hard (risk Injury) and when to back off (losing intensity)

The bundesliga being so shit is a disadvantage for him.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Well, being so shit still hasn't prevent the "big" teams from beating Bayern with Pep at the helm. And now, with Tuchel returning and Wolfsburg further strengthening their squad, I think there are enough opportunities left domestically for him to find a challenge.

DennyCrane

Yeah, though I don't think there is a great chance of him signing a new contract with Bayern. He'll try his best next season, again, to prove a point and leave after winning that CL trrophy, marking his Bayern spell a success after all, or by coming up short yet again and essentially admitting to failure. Seeing how he was robbed of many of his best players throughout the whole season, espcially during that period during which he needed them the most, I think it is only fair for him to try one more time, hopefully with better luck the coming season.

Yes, I don't think he'll sign a new contract either. And even if he does that, it might as well be on a one-year-basis, like he did with Barca.

Btw. I'm still surprised how much the Bayern management changed in the past few years. At the time Pep signed up with Bayern, I would have expected that the management goes into meltdown-mode after results like vs Madrid or Barca, but there's absolutely no sign of that happening. They really seem to have all-embracing respect for him and his work.

StarLord

Depends on what you define as "early" and "late", or even "mid". I had made a distinction of "early" and "late" in my head, as it seemed sufficient to make you understand. See, this is why your straw men never work out.

Anyways, that other guy's comment WAS inherently laughable, for obvious reasons (horrible logic in his reasoning, not just the claims made). You just happened to agree with him for you own reasons (what I called a Barca-braggard for purely descriptive reasons ;) ), that's why you defend the undefendable now.

BM won the European Cup three times ('74, '75 and '76) that is bang-on in the middle of the decade. It sounds inaccurate to label those years as either "early" or "late" seventies. But that is not the point.

My point is that the feeling I get from many of the Bayern fans, is that losing to the semis against Real and Barca is somehow really strange. I totally disagree with that. I also totally disagree with your view about the quality of many Bayern players, as well as your views on previous Bayern seasons in the CL. Let me explain myself. I 've heard many Bayern fans go on and on about making the CL finals in 3 out of 4 years, and how that somehow proves that Bayern have been superior to Barca/Madrid during those seasons. IMO, your run to the 2010 final was beyond fluky. I don't have to explain anything there, but if challenged I will do so. Your run to the 2012 final was also relatively easy. Two token opponents in the Last 16 and the QFs. Your semi-final opponents was coming off an exhausting title race, and even more crucially had a title-deciding Clasico right in the middle of the two semis. The importance of fatigue in the latter stages of the CL is something I have always maintained as perhaps the most crucial factor. Even so, you only went through on penalties kicks. Still, this is held as some kind of proof over Bayern's superiority over Real Madrid, something with which I disagree with. In my mind, Real Madrid was probably better than BM during that season. BM have the advantage of not really caring about their own league too much. Be careful, I am not saying that they are not playing to win it, but that it means far less to them than it means to Barca/RM. For the Clasico pair, the thought of the other guy winning the league is vomit-inducing, hence we keep playing near-full strength (or simply fully strength) throughout the season, and crucially, even in between CL ties. That counts for a lot in my mind.

Last season, Munich did not look that impressive either. Surely one of the very best in Europe, but definitely not the hegemonic power you seem to believe you were. The possibility of defeat at the hands of Real Madrid was always at least around 50%. Once Ramos scored the first header, you were doomed. The rest was down to your extreme eagerness to get back at them asap. Something which is suicidal against a Big 3 European side. Something similar happened a few days ago as well. Bayern were lucky to be at 0-0 by the final minutes of the game, but once Messi did what Messi does (and in contradistinction to your earlier claims that he could do nothing versus Bayern/German NT) Bayern felt compelled to throw caution to the wind (being cautious was all BM did until 77') and the rest is history.

I hope you can see what I am trying to say here. While Bayern are a top 3 side (continent-wide) there is zero evidence that they have been better (or even equal) than the Clasico pair in all recent seasons outside of 12/13. Yet, Bayern fans and the German press take defeat at the hands of Barca/Real as some kind of inexcusable failure.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
After having played such an instrumental role in developing Messi meanwhile building his own brand value... It's kind of ironic that the very same Messi's monstrous performance is what's bringing all this discussion about Pep being found out!

StarLord

Star lord you are showing a lack of knowledge of football history. Bayern are a big club and any big club considers anything less than a CL win a failure.

Bayern went decades without a CL trophy (as did we and Real Madrid) There are no guarantees in the CL, for anyone. I am not saying that BM fans should be happy about losing in the semis. I am however criticizing what I perceive as an exaggerated reaction, an inflated self-perception, and Pep's scapegoating.

Edit: Bundesliga isn't shit btw. They are in fact on more or less the same coefficient points as the mighty EPL and even Serie A seems to be joining their party. La Liga is the one towering over Europe in the last 4 seasons or so. BM win the BL so easily, because they are more or less at the RM/Barca level (a bit lower imo) but without anyone being near that in their own league. Hell, even Atletico has outperformed the BL-sans-Bayern in the last couple of seasons. Imagine if RM did not have us as opponents. They would be a bit like Bayern in the BL, that wouldn't make La Liga shit, it would just be a very good league with a hegemonic side in it. It just happens sometimes.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans