Philippe Coutinho

behindbrowneyes

Club's problems must be minor ones if people can discuss for days whether the club should give another player the 10 or not.

Messi is the greatest player the club ever had. You can see it in nearly every corner of the museum. That's also the part of the Camp Nou where this should stay, because Leo is history.

Messi moved on to Paris and the club has to move on too. Messi is history now and the team must live in the present and nearer future.

The #10 always has been a special number in football and usually is worn by the best player of the team. There were other great #10's at the club before Leo and there will be great #10's after him.

Retiring the number doesn't make sense.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
The coaching staff think Coutinho is not yet ready to compete. He still needs to gain rhythm. As for Mingueza, he could be available for this weekend's match. [cadena ser]

Big Footinho strikes again.

malvolio

I say we put the 10 jersey in stone and call it Excalibur. Whoever comes here and is worthy of it will wear the 10.

SmilerBam

Because it's one of the most recognized number out there in football. Imagine a club like Barca never having a player with the number 10 anymore.

If this season is possible, we shouldn't use the number 10. Just this season. From the next one, give it to the most promising youngster we have(of course, it has to be a forward or an attacking midfielder).

Andresito

Staff member
If it's between leaving Coutinho out of the squad or giving him the #10 the answer is pretty simple. He's not getting it because he deserves it but because there are no other options.

I'd rather have Pjanic GTFO and Coutinho take #8 instead and let the 10 rest for a season. It's a symbolic gesture, a luxurious gesture we should do if we can.
But despite Coutinho being far from our best player, I wouldn't leave him out just for a number to be untouched.

In the end it's just a number and like many pointed out we only have 25 numbers to choose from. If Ansu has a great season and gets #10 sales will sky rocket. Not Messi heights, but a big boost.
Those are some of the reasons why retiring the 10 shouldn't even be considered.

Messi983

Unless La Liga will change the registration rules no Spanish club will ever retire a number.

And tbh, I'm ok with that. Does any other club in top 5 leagues have retired numbers? Don't remember any. I think it's more of an American thing which I wouldn't be against staying out of European football.

Last edited:

Poor_Sunyol

In Lucho we trust!
Unless La Liga will change the registration rules no Spanish club will ever retire a number.

And tbh, I'm ok with that. Does any other club in top 5 leagues have retired numbers? Don't remember any. I think it's more of an American thing which I wouldn't be against staying out of European football.

Ajax - 14 Cruyff.
West Ham - 6 Bobby Moore
Italy have a load (they love a bit of drama).
Man City - 23 Marc-Vivien Foe
Espanyol - 23 Jarque
Betis - 26 - Roque

Messi983

Ajax - 14 Cruyff.
West Ham - 6 Bobby Moore
Italy have a load (they love a bit of drama).
Man City - 23 Marc-Vivien Foe
Espanyol - 23 Jarque
Betis - 26 - Roque

Thanks.

I forgot about Jarque. And Roque's number 26 is not included in the numbers reserved for the first team players in La Liga (1-25) so it's a bit easier decision to retire that number. Also, they've both died on the pitch (well, Jarque did in his hotel room during Espanyol's training camp in Italy) and so did Foe so I think this puts things into a bit different perspective.

Sevilla also retired Antonio Puerta's #16 but then gave it to his friend Jesus Navas when he returned to the club.

Looking at this list now the one that's a bit surprising to me is that Barca B legend Jonathan Soriano's number 26 is retired at Salzburg. Wouldn't expect that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_retired_numbers_in_association_football

Other than that not really many well recognizable names (at least to me) besides those already mentioned, Pele, Weah, Puskas and legends like Maradona, Maldini, Baresi, Zanetti,... playing for Italian clubs (it's totally possible I've overlooked someone though). You're right they have a lot of retired numbers but I guess it's easier without strict registration rules like in La Liga.

Also, interesting to see Greek club AEL has retired Kobe's 24.

serghei

You can't retire no10 anyway, frankly it's an idiotic idea. It's the most desired and valuable number that all-stars want to play in. Imagine signing someone like Ronaldinho again and tell him he can't have 10 :lol:.

I have no problem with retiring 30 though.

BBZ8800

You can't retire no10 anyway, frankly it's an idiotic idea. It's the most desired and valuable number that all-stars want to play in. Imagine signing someone like Ronaldinho again and tell him he can't have 10 :lol:.

I have no problem with retiring 30 though.

Also, with a logic of retiring numbers, we should have retired Ronaldinho's 10 in 2008, so Messi would have never wore a 10.
Back then we didn't know that we will soon have even a better player.
Today, Messi would have built his career with a No7, 11, 18 or 20.
Imagine: Messi7 vs Cr7

Messi983

If it wouldn't already been retired before for Maradona.

Here is a list of the famous Barcelona Jerseys with the number 10 on the back, from the last 40 years.

1978/1979 Juan Manuel Asensi

1982/1984 Diego Maradona

1989/1990 Robert

1991/1992 Pep Guardiola

1991/1992 Richard Witschge

1993/1994 Hristo Stoichkov

1993/1994 - 1994/1995 Rom?rio

1995/1996 Llu?s Carreras

1995/1996 Roger Garc?a

1996/1997 - 1998/1999 Giovanni

1999/2000 Jari Litmanen

2000/2001 - 2001/2002 Rivaldo

2002/2003 Juan Riquelme

2003/2004 - 2007/2008 Ronaldinho

2008/2009- Current Lionel Messi

That's why I wouldn't be in favour of retiring numbers a year or two after player leaves but rather wait until his retirement. You can have a great player wearing a certain number but the next one could be even better which was obvious case here. Ronaldinho is one of my all time favorites but Messi is Messi.

OTOH retiring Puyol's #5 when he has retired (being probably the last true one-club man) would be great but then again giving it to Busi (who could also spend his whole career here) was a good move as well.

And as much as I love Xavi and Iniesta if I'd have to choose two players from this century whose numbers should be retired they would be Puyol and Messi.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans