Philippe Coutinho

Laplacian

I think anyone who comes in and asks for the number 10 should have it. Like Mariano getting the number 7 immediately after Ronaldo left.

Like seriously, it's the type of shit small clubs do because they know they'll never get a greater player than that. The club has had multiple famous number 7s over the course of 6 decades, the most famous ones being Raul and Cr7. Manchester United didn't retire it after George Best, and ended up having even greater number 7s for the club several decades later.

Napoli retired it because they'll never get another Maradona. West Ham retired theirs because, duh it's West Ham. Netherlands is a small football nation. Come on guys, seriously? Are we really gonna act like a bunch of small timers?

Give it to Coutinho or whoever else wants it and we move on. He's a legend, but don't mytholigise to the point of implying we'd be nothing without him. It's Barcelona, not Napoli, West Ham, or whatever.

malvolio

I think anyone who comes in and asks for the number 10 should have it. Like Mariano getting the number 7 immediately after Ronaldo left.

Like seriously, it's the type of shit small clubs do because they know they'll never get a greater player than that. The club has had multiple famous number 7s over the course of 6 decades, the most famous ones being Raul and Cr7. Manchester United didn't retire it after George Best, and ended up having even greater number 7s for the club several decades later.

Napoli retired it because they'll never get another Maradona. West Ham retired theirs because, duh it's West Ham. Netherlands is a small football nation. Come on guys, seriously? Are we really gonna act like a bunch of small timers?

Give it to Coutinho or whoever else wants it and we move on. He's a legend, but don't mytholigise to the point of implying we'd be nothing without him. It's Barcelona, not Napoli, West Ham, or whatever.

i'm willing to bet we ain't gonna get a better player than messi. at least in our lifetime(~50, 60 years).

and we never had a better 10 or player than him.

not saying that we should retire the number, but the discussion about small club mentality is nonsense.

and again, can we stop with the comparisons between messi and raul/cr7? neither represented for their club what messi did for barcelona.

Messi983

Don't disagree with your point but how likely it is we'll ever get a greater player than Messi?

Or linked to my previous post, a better captain than Puyi?

CatalinR10

Like seriously, it's the type of shit small clubs do because they know they'll never get a greater player than that.

Messi situation to CR or anyone else is way different because Messi actually grew at Barca. He was at this club since a kid , developed as a football player and won everything there is to win both team wise and individual wise while being at this team , multiple times. There is a bigger emotional attachment between Messi-Barca than CR-RM or whoever. Regards us having someone bigger/better in the future with the same bond , it won't happen dawg. We actually had a Barcagrown player with whom we won 34 titles including 2 trebles , 4 CL , 10 La Liga titles. He also won a ridiculous amount of individual trophies including 6 Ballon d'ors. He played 778 games for the club and almost had a contribution of 1000 goals + assists , and this not to mention his overall play including chances created or dribbles.

This won't happen even 100 years from now.

I'm fine with either the club retiring the nr 10 or not . Only thing that bothers me is giving it to absolute trash players like Coutinho. If someone deserves it , it's a player from the academy who has a bright future and looks like he's about to stay for a long time with us, someone who really loves the club. I would have been fine if Pedri got it.

On the other hand if the club decides to retire a jersey nr. in honour of Messi , they could do it with the nr. 30 . It wouldn't be such a complicated task compared to the nr. 10.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

It should be a player who can handle the pressure, i dont know if the jersey number of mariano was the fault but didnt he become much worse after getting the 7 ?

Porque

It should go to Riqui Puig. Coutinho can have Riqui number.

Riqui can live up to the hype, perhaps even surpass it.

Raketa10

If it wouldn't already been retired before for Maradona.

Here is a list of the famous Barcelona Jerseys with the number 10 on the back, from the last 40 years.

1978/1979 Juan Manuel Asensi

1982/1984 Diego Maradona

1989/1990 Robert

1991/1992 Pep Guardiola

1991/1992 Richard Witschge

1993/1994 Hristo Stoichkov

1993/1994 - 1994/1995 Rom?rio

1995/1996 Llu?s Carreras

1995/1996 Roger Garc?a

1996/1997 - 1998/1999 Giovanni

1999/2000 Jari Litmanen

2000/2001 - 2001/2002 Rivaldo

2002/2003 Juan Riquelme

2003/2004 - 2007/2008 Ronaldinho

2008/2009- Current Lionel Messi

That's why I wouldn't be in favour of retiring numbers a year or two after player leaves but rather wait until his retirement. You can have a great player wearing a certain number but the next one could be even better which was obvious case here. Ronaldinho is one of my all time favorites but Messi is Messi.

OTOH retiring Puyol's #5 when he has retired (being probably the last true one-club man) would be great but then again giving it to Busi (who could also spend his whole career here) was a good move as well.

And as much as I love Xavi and Iniesta if I'd have to choose two players from this century whose numbers should be retired they would be Puyol and Messi.

I agree that Barca No. 10 is probably the most iconic shirt in the world of football and that there are some unbelievable names in this list. In contrast, there are also some pretty average players who wore the No. 10. People are fuming about Coutinho getting number 10 but this number was worn by Giovanni, Luis Carreras, Litmanen, Roger Garcia or Richard Witschge! :lol:

IMHO it would be wise to give no. 8 to Cou just to ease the pressure on him but it's not like our number 10 was always worn by a top class players.

I also don't understand why should our home grown players have priority for that number? Apart from Messi, majority of top names in this list are South Americans that have no connection with La Masia or Catalonia. In the end the best player on the team should get this number regardless of his nationality or his connection to the club. For me the only question is does anyone deserve to wear this number right now and the answer is NO. However, if the number has to be given to one player since we have a limited amount of numbers than just give it to the best attacker or midfielder in our team and move on.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

Let's go back to Earth.

Koeman said today that since Messi left, we will miss his goals and a few players will have to compensate for those goals.
He believes that Coutinho will be one of those guys.

vegitot

Also, with a logic of retiring numbers, we should have retired Ronaldinho's 10 in 2008, so Messi would have never wore a 10.
Back then we didn't know that we will soon have even a better player.
Today, Messi would have built his career with a No7, 11, 18 or 20.
Imagine: Messi7 vs Cr7

Messi already outplayed Ronaldinho in his last two season at Barca. Club knew it and decided to give him no 10 after Dinho left. Messi at that time was already better than Ronaldinho.

vegitot

Let's go back to Earth.

Koeman said today that since Messi left, we will miss his goals and a few players will have to compensate for those goals.
He believes that Coutinho will be one of those guys.

Coutinho will never have Messi's number of goals, assists. Though he doesn't have it to shine.

BBZ8800

Coutinho will never have Messi's number of goals, assists. Though he doesn't have it to shine.

Koeman said that SEVERAL players will have to score goals to compensate for Messi's goals.

Busi-Pedri and friends surely won't bring any goals, this is why we need some shooters/scorers.

PhilS

Not good that he can't make a 12 man bench, he's been training for weeks already. I'd like to hope he could make some contribution this season, don't know if that will happen.

Zidane82

Not good that he can't make a 12 man bench, he's been training for weeks already. I'd like to hope he could make some contribution this season, don't know if that will happen.

Isn?t there a clause saying we have to pay Liverpool ?20 million when he plays another 20 games or something ?

Home of Barca Fans