Premier League 2013/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martindn

If we lose vidic its imperative Fellaini doesnt get subbed on when jones goes CB. Hes way too immobile for this game.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Tackler's strength is very relevant in the process of making a decision, it was a rough tackle that targets Rooney before even going for the ball, he even gets his arm and foot in front of him to take him out. Any type of attempt to sprint at a player and make a collision in the box like that is reckless and definitely warrants a penalty. The thing is that Rooney is so strong and difficult to knock off that it doesn't seem as hard of a tackle, if that was someone like Neymar receiving the tackle he would've flown a meter out and we'd all unanimously be calling for a penalty.

Exactly, Don. It all depends on where you stand sometimes.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
Tackler's strength is very relevant in the process of making a decision, it was a rough tackle that targets Rooney before even going for the ball, he even gets his arm and foot in front of him to take him out. Any type of attempt to sprint at a player and make a collision in the box like that is reckless and definitely warrants a penalty. The thing is that Rooney is so strong and difficult to knock off that it doesn't seem as hard of a tackle, if that was someone like Neymar receiving the tackle he would've flown a meter out and we'd all unanimously be calling for a penalty.

The arm and foot were to shield the ball, not to take out Rooney, he sprinted because he wanted to make up for his mistake. Was it reckless? Yes, extremely, Giroud's an idiot. Was it a penalty, I don't think so. Also I find it odd that the tackler's strength is irrelevant but the tacklee's :)lol:) is. Doesn't seem logical that one should matter but the other not.

I agree with taking out Flamini, put Ramsey in center mid (I don't like him out wide anyway) but I don't really know who to put out wide. I guess Gnabry?

Last edited:

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Bad overall game by Arsenal, all of their offensive players basically offline, sloppy or taken care of by Utd. Looked a bit more awake towards the end of the first half, hopefully they can turn it on in the second half

pEllee

They could really use Walcott now. Shame he's not available.

EDIT: And yes, bad game by Arsenal but United are doing well.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Penalty every day of the week. One of the most obvious penalties ever. Not as much as Ramires' one but still pretty obvious.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
The arm and foot were to shield the ball, not to take out Rooney, he sprinted because he wanted to make up for his mistake. Was it reckless? Yes, extremely, Giroud's an idiot. Was it a penalty, I don't think so. Also I find it odd that the tackler's strength is irrelevant but the tacklee's :)lol:) is. Doesn't seem logical that one should matter but the other not.

I agree with taking out Flamini, put Ramsey in center mid (I don't like him in the middle) but I don't really know who to put out wide. I guess Gnabry?

Tackler's strength matters because it decides whether or not the penalty is needed, but it's irrelevant in deciding whether it's deserved. If Cazorla were to sprint in and attempt something like that, the penalty would still be equally deserved, but not needed as Rooney wouldn't necessarily fall down. Same reason why Messi has a bunch of moments where he'd probably deserve a penalty for being smothered in the box, but doesn't need it as he stays up and gets past them anyway. Tackler's strength just changes the result of the action, not the actual action itself, and penalties are deserved for unlawful actions taken inside the box.

Tacklee's strength is also irrelevant in the decision of the penalty call, just relevant in the perception of how strong the foul is. A stronger player shouldn't be discriminated against for earning penalties because they get hit just as hard as the weaker one, it's just that the latter ends up going down while the former doesn't.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
But the tackler's strength equally affects perception, if a strong player commits to a tackle it could be completely clean and someone would still be sent flying, it's not a PK but it looks like it just like you pointed out with the Neymar vs. Rooney example. Something similar to the incident just happened, Sagna and Rooney were both racing for the ball and both tried to shove each other out of the way, Sagna stumbled and conceded a throw-in but it wasn't a foul, Rooney was just stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans