Premier League 2022/2023

PL winner?

• Total voters

Birdy

If you play a double pivot, Pedri needs to be sold.

All this talk about the double pivot we will never play, at least under Xavi...

In any case, if any coach decided to play double pivot, then FDJ-Kessie is perfect duo, both excelled at double pivot and neither of them can play as interior or AM
Pedri of course can develop as AM, Pablo Torre too

The one that would need to be sold in that case is Gavi who is not so good on the ball to play AM, and his best skills are seen when playing as an advanced presser from Md off the ball, and runner on the ball to meet balls close or around the box

stb_1

Man United are such a massive club. For over ten years they've been completely dog shit and they are still huge. If Ten Haag brings them they can be biggest club in the world again.

KingLeo10

Man United are such a massive club. For over ten years they've been completely dog shit and they are still huge. If Ten Haag brings them they can be biggest club in the world again.

Take off your PL fanboy glasses :lol:

They're a good distance behind RM, Barca in the European hierarchy and a fair bit behind Bayern and Pool.

Morten

They are one of the biggest, no doubt, but i dont think they were ever THE biggest though.

Porque

One of the biggest football brands for sure. Hugely successful in the era where Premier League was most accessible in US and Asia.

But it is a generational thing. They have missed a generation unless fandom is passed down through the family.

fergus90

United are massive, definitely the biggest/ most supported club in England by some way. Also incredibly popular in Ireland and Scandinavian countries.

But Porque has it spot on in my opinion, they've missed a generation of young fans through being shit in the last decade.

They're popularity with 20 and under has probably declined, unless they have parents passing their support on but for people 30+ they will 100% be the most supported club.

Bayern Munich actually sold the most shirts in 2021, probably because Germany is football mad and they scoop up a lot of support in those neighbouring countries too. However United took top spot again in 2022.

Last edited:

Laplacian

Liverpool was shit for 30 years and is still the second biggest club in the UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia. It takes a lot of time and I mean a lot of time for clubs of United's stature to truly fall off. I think you're underestimating them a bit. Definitely not popular amongst the actual children (under 18), as people in their early 20s still witnessed United at its peak. I'm still in uni and a lot of people I know in that are in between 18 and 25 are still massive fans of Manchester United, Arsenal, and Liverpool. Chelsea and City are the least popular clubs in my experience. Although amongst the really small kids that are still in primary school, City's probably the most popular. My little cousin and his friends all wear city jerseys. lol

KingLeo10

This discussion about United often narrows down to size of fanbase or shirts sold. While I agree that is one of the main metrics of club stature, there are other main metrics as well, including: 1) Trophy haul (domestic league, European, domestic cup), peak level/unique accomplishments, list of legends.

RM, Barca, Bayern, Pool (arguable), and AC Milan are superior to United in terms of trophy haul.

RM, Barca, Bayern, Pool. AC Milan are superior in terms of peak level/unique accomplishments (50s RM, Pep's Barca and the broader 06-15 dominance, Sacchi's Milan, and RM 3-peat team are unique and huge contributions to football history/lore). United do have the 98-99 treble so they're not slouches here but it's still a tad lower than those amazing accomplishments. Bayern had the European cup 3 peat and Pool had 4 CLs and 6-7 league titles in 9 years in 70s and 80s.

United are definitely behind RM, Barca, and AC Milan in list of legends/pedigree of players who've played for them. They're in the mix with Bayern and ahead of Pool in this regard.

So, basically, if you look at the entirety of the metrics, it's simply not possible to consider United the biggest club in the world.

BarcaOG

Banned
under the glaziers and especially post saf united has been a commercial / merchandise entity that is also a football club on the side lol. they are a huge name as a brand and as a money making machine but sporting wise its not even close

teams like bayern, madrid and barca combine both of those aspects much better

fergus90

I'm not sure you can just reduce the Ferguson era United to the 98/99 treble to be fair, the whole Ferguson era rivals pretty much any clubs successful period. Plus they have had the Matt Busby era too in the late 60's.

13 league titles
5 FA Cups
4 league cups
2 Champions leagues and 2 runners up
1 Cup winners cup ( still miss that competition)

They way it's going Man City will end up in the conversation in 15-20 years. Need some success in Europe though really for that to be cemented.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans