Quique Setien

xXKonan

The funny part is Tata got shit on by the same suspects in the Catalan Media for going Unbarca like during his tenure.

But we hire a guy who fits the original Barca style but is getting a lot of shit by them even though Valverde got off scot-free most of the time for playing unbarcalike football. :lol:

serghei

EV lovers would be perfectly within logic and common sense to see EV as very good option for that transitional season. We did well, and better than expected, even with the Roma disaster which left all of us a sour taste that year. The next season he was on course to a very against-the-odds treble, but ended the season in abysmal fashion.

But after Liverpool and Valencia, everyone should've joined EV out camp. It was clear at that moment we were going down this season. And we did.

KingLeo10

This is the worst group of amigos I've ever seen.

At least the Galacticos were global icons in terms of their contributions to the game individually. Zidane, R9, Carlos, Figo etc etc.

Only Messi and maybe Suarez (debatable) belong in that class. I don't know why the likes of Alba (lol), Roberto (LMAO), Pique, or Busquets think they should have that kind of stature.

behindbrowneyes

So to interpret that tweet.

Some players are butthurt that Valverde was sacked and two heavyweights went at it and some players were accused of dropping their level under Valverde. I assume the last part screams "THANKS TO YOU GUYS WHO INTENTIONALLY DROPPED THEIR LEVELS VALVERDE WAS SACKED"

Screams self-entitled douchebaggery really. Guys are upset that they won't have a coach who can give them lax training and let them influence the coach so easily.

You can also read it as "some players got comfortable and didn't put in the effort they used to before".
Let's talk about Piqué, Busquets and Messi. While Messi always pushed to get better and more multi-faceted other heavyweights like Piqué and Busquets dropped their level. You can't pin it all onto their age. Piqué puts lots of his focus into his business and admitted he sleeps very little because he is so busy. Busquets never was a physical monster and it is clear that age is taking its toll, but that doesn't explain his stupid mistakes and fuck-ups with the ball.

For all we know, Valverde doesn't come across as the type of coach who pushes his players to the limit. So if you don't put in the extra effort your level will drop. Hard work beats talent if talent doesn't work hard. Milner, Henderson or Wijnaldum aren't really better players than Cou, Rakitic or Busquets. They just work harder.

Leo looks frustrated. I can't blame him. He is carrying the team for years now while other players act as superstars due to their past achievements. Not only the club is letting him down with bad squad planning. Some players do too.

BADGERBHOY

If we going to blame Valverde for natural processes like aging, we might as well blame him for the coronavirus.

Thats not the point though, it was his responsibility to make sure the players didnt get too old, by selling some of them and bringing in younger players.

DennyCrane

So to interpret that tweet.

Some players are butthurt that Valverde was sacked and two heavyweights went at it and some players were accused of dropping their level under Valverde. I assume the last part screams "THANKS TO YOU GUYS WHO INTENTIONALLY DROPPED THEIR LEVELS VALVERDE WAS SACKED"

Screams self-entitled douchebaggery really. Guys are upset that they won't have a coach who can give them lax training and let them influence the coach so easily.

Understandable I guess. Some had the time of their lives. Imagine being a professional athlete who isn't asked to perform proper fitness training and whose failures are acknowledged with 'meh, shit happens'. Easiest job in the world.

xXKonan

The players that were usually punished were usually the younger guys and newer players in the team while the old guys basically got a free pass.

I have no doubt now that the younger and newer crew in the team wanted Valverde gone and I don't blame them one bit for it.

Barcilliant

I'm still baffled as to why Setien got rid of Perez. I thought he was decent back up. Relying on injury prone Dembele is laughable.

serghei

I'm still baffled as to why Setien got rid of Perez. I thought he was decent back up. Relying on injury prone Dembele is laughable.

He probably decided Fati is better. There was no place for both at the same time on the pitch as the easy games are over at this stage in the season.

serghei

What about Messi and Pique?

Pique and Busi would be my bet, especially Pique. Busi is the one the most likely to side with these new changes. While Pique is among those who liked the more stress and work-free environment cultivated by Valverde.

Andrew M

Thats not the point though, it was his responsibility to make sure the players didnt get too old, by selling some of them and bringing in younger players.

I've got no pity for Valverde and i'm glad he's gone, but it's ridiculous to suppose that he would have had any authority to get rid of the senior core of the team even he wanted to.

serghei

I've got no pity for Valverde and i'm glad he's gone, but it's ridiculous to suppose that he would have had any authority to get rid of the senior core of the team even he wanted to.

Maybe not, but we'll never know considering he had as much of a backbone as shellfish have.

Home of Barca Fans