Quique Setien

JamDav1982

You weren't here for a few Months.

The story was:
1. ANYONE would be better than EV
2. our dear Barca will be back
3. EV didn't win Ligas, it was all about Messi. Anyone can win a league with Messi
4. our players are still the best in the world, it is just EV ruining them and not a single player improved under him

Then a new coach came:
1. Messi is worse than under EV. Frenkie is horrible, way worse than under EV, Arthur is worse than under EV. Griezz is quite lost.
2. what about: anyone would be better than EV?
3. plus, suddenly: trophies don't matter and a poor guy Setien can't fix this mess.
Yet, when EV lost Supercup to Atletico: it was: sack this cancer.

Double standards and a change in narrative from users here, isn't it?
Yet, they are first to jump to accuse some of us for changing of a narrative when it suits us.

Double standards: level 20 000, world class.

EV time was up.

What does it take for you to agree correct decision to sack him and get in Setien?

malvolio

If we demand playing well on top of winning, we must excuse losing while playing well in return. It goes both ways. In a game of football when you miss chances in these close games, you always expose yourself to a goal like that at the end.

No it doesn't go like that, you get the sack. Don't act like you don't know the drill at this club. Even Valverde was permitted playing boring football because he actually won something. And it's not like this is a theory of mine that I try to wash your brains with. It's the way things go at this club.

JamDav1982

Because I honestly can't see anything good in Setien's football right now. We have possession and that's it. Messi depedencia is at the same level as under Valverde but unfortunately now situation is even worse since Suarez is injured and he can't do everything by himself. Our midfield is still useless as fuck. Our defense is still shit. People see too much similarities between this type of football and the real tiki-taka but side and back passing for the sake of passing and ball possession with 2 or 3 shoots toward goal is bellow the level of this club. Sorry mate but I don't like what I am seeing. I know things would have been much easier with Suarez and Dembele here but reality is they are not and I can't see how the fuck shall we score in this way against better teams.

I soooo much wish I am wrong and I will be the first one to admit it since I have no problem with my ego but we don 't look dangerous at all to me right now. Maybe that's because Messi and Griezmann can't score shit but I don't think our opponents have any problem defending against us at all.

Yes roster is horrible but

Created the better chances in tough away game.

Far from useless possession tonight.

serghei

Because I honestly can't see anything good in Setien's football right now. We have possession and that's it. Messi depedencia is at the same level as under Valverde but unfortunately now situation is even worse since Suarez is injured and he can't do everything by himself. Our midfield is still useless as fuck. Our defense is still shit. People see too much similarities between this type of football and the real tiki-taka but side and back passing for the sake of passing and ball possession with 2 or 3 shoots toward goal is bellow the level of this club. Sorry mate but I don't like what I am seeing. I know things would have been much easier with Suarez and Dembele here but reality is they are not and I can't see how the fuck shall we score in this way against better teams.

I soooo much wish I am wrong and I will be the first one to admit it since I have no problem with my ego but we don 't look dangerous at all to me right now. Maybe that's because Messi and Griezmann can't score shit but I don't think our opponents have any problem defending against us at all.

Yes roster is horrible but

But this is not the game to make this statement. We had possession and created chances and not only through Messi (one of the 1 vs 1 chances was Messi wasting it actually, not creating it, which is almost unheard of this season), big ones even which usually end up in multiple goals.

Tackle

Should we change the forum name to arsenalforum? Losing is losing in the end. And there is no time for losers at this club.

Bang on again.

This is the talk of middling European clubs like Arsenal as mentioned and also Spurs, Dortmund, Inter etc.

Those clubs seem to "play well" every match but more often than not get knocked out. At the highest level decisiveness, mentality and will of the collective to grind out results is required. These are the same blokes that makes excuses for Pep every time he gets eliminated in the CL. "They outplayed the opposition, but got caught out a few times and lost due to luck." When it happens 7 times in a row there is more behind it than just "luck." There is far more to football than simply "playing well" in the layman's eyes.

Losing in style is not acceptable for a club of this stature.

JamDav1982

Bang on again.

This is the talk of middling European clubs like Arsenal as mentioned and also Spurs, Dortmund, Inter etc.

Those clubs seem to "play well" every match but more often than not get knocked out. At the highest level decisiveness, mentality and will of the collective to grind out results is required. These are the same blokes that makes excuses for Pep every time he gets eliminated in the CL. "They outplayed the opposition, but got caught out a few times and lost due to luck." When it happens 7 times in a row there is more behind it than just "luck." There is far more to football than simply "playing well" in the layman's eyes.

It is not 'bang on' it is cliched shit to try and sound like a 'winner'.

mc_lovin

Bang on again.

Its not. But is it too much to ask for a somewhat differentiated opinion/discussion instead of mindless bashing?

serghei

Its not. But is it too much to ask for a somewhat differentiated opinion/discussion instead of mindless bashing?

From the pro Valverde camp there are 2-3 users capable of giving you that more complex view. Neither of them is Tackle.

BBZ8800

What would it take for you to agree sacking EV for Setien was the correct decision?

Not that I expect you to stick to it but out of interest?

1. Setien winning La Liga
2. and having a nice, combative run in a CL. He don't have to win it, but let's say CL semis.

Since, this is what EV was doing in his seasons.
I expected the same or slightly better from a coach, who is supposed to be better than EV and who is supposed to be an upgrade.
Since: we have a world class players and ANYONE would be better than EV.
So, that is a minimum of expectations. Isn't it fair?

We are only 180 minutes away from:
1. losing La Liga
2. losing CDR
3. getting KOd by Napoli in 1/8 of a CL

I really can't find positives in better passes and sterile possession which leads to similar defeats over and over.

Remember that Setien's Betis had exactly the same problems:
1. dominating all the time
2. not being able to convert their chances
3. losing on counters or from headers in the end

EV was winning with bad play all the time=people said that it was luck.
Setien is losing both at Betis and Barca in the same fashion=people say that he is unlucky.

What if NONE of those two was luck, but a most logical end results of how they are using their teams/players/tactics?

Devils

In 6 Setien's matches, this is already a 3rd time that we didn't score (Valencia 2:0, Bilbao 1:0, Granada 0:0 with 11 vs 11 men).
And again, we are yet to play very hard matches in the 2nd part of a season.

We played without Messi against Bilbao in August under EV.

Since Messi is like 80% of our team, in which universe Setien had a worse team today compared to EV?

Again, we played without Messi under EV.

Exhibit 1:

-EV gets the pass because we didn't have Messi

-No mention of Setien not having no option to play a #9 so far in his entire time at Barca, it's just that he's a low scoring manager against easy opposition.

I mean this guy's argument structure rivals that of EV's football tactics at Rome and Ainfield.

No idea why people bother.

Tackle

But getting humiliated by Roma was just fine?

I won't even bring in Pool.

Hold this

:lol:
:lol::lol:

Of course not.

EV winning the Liga is what saved his job despite the Rome and Anfield disasters. If he won nothing or even just the cup he would have been sacked after his first season like Setien is on track to be.

What are we supposed to be arguing about?

JamDav1982

1. Setien winning La Liga
2. and having a nice, combative run in a CL. He don't have to win it, but let's say CL semis.

Since, this is what EV was doing in his seasons.
I expected the same or slightly better from a coach, who is supposed to be better than EV and who is supposed to be an upgrade.
Since: we have a world class players and ANYONE would be better than EV.
So, that is a minimum of expectations. Isn't it fair?

We are only 180 minutes away from:
1. losing La Liga
2. losing CDR
3. getting KOd by Napoli in 1/8 of a CL

I really can't find positives in better passes and sterile possession which leads to similar defeats over and over.

Remember that Setien's Betis had exactly the same problems:
1. dominating all the time
2. not being able to convert their chances
3. losing on counters or from headers in the end

EV was winning with bad play all the time=people said that it was luck.
Setien is losing both at Betis and Barca in the same fashion=people say that he is unlucky.

What if NONE of those two was luck, but a most logical end results of how they are using their teams/players/tactics?

Do you think EV was winning La liga this year or reaching CL semis?

Exhibit 1:

-EV gets the pass because we didn't have Messi

-No mention of Setien not having no option to play a #9 so far in his entire time at Barca, it's just that he's a low scoring manager against easy opposition.

I mean this guy's argument structure rivals that of EV's football tactics at Rome and Ainfield.

No idea why people bother.

but all the amigos on here told us that Suarez was some donkey that ruined our attacks and only started because of favoritism from Valverde. Now Setien's excuse is not having Suarez available like he was when EV was in charge

you couldn't make it up

Rory

Fine let's sack Setien, that's a great idea right? Lets do it now though whilst the team have already had one manager go this season.

Home of Barca Fans