Quique Setien

FinBarcelonafan

Then stop watching football altogether mate. 99% of footballers are overpaid idiots. I would even say nearly all sportsman are overpaid. Getting payed millions to kick/hit/throw/catch a ball?

They bring value to the world. It's how capitalistic world works. The more you bring value or the more people you effect, the more you make. In the end, it's extremely tough to be the highest level footballer. Basically nobody makes it there.

El Gato

Villarato!
Jordi Cruyff who was the manager of Ecuador used his Barca-related exit clause. If he doesn't join Barca in some capacity within 30 days he'll have to pay them ?900k.

He's btw heavily reported as Xavi's preferred choice as Sporting Director so will be interesting to see if he's already joining in that role now, or perhaps as a one year manager until Xavi arrives next year and then switch to SD?

Or maybe not at all, but seem like an unecessary move to terminate his contract and pay that much for nothing :shrug:

https://twitter.com/CarlosVerareal/status/1284663818824683521

Needless to say that the Ecuadorians are mad right lol now since he was hired just before the COVID crisis and didn't even lead a training session.

:lol:
Dogma central coming back to Catalunya.

malvolio

They bring value to the world. It's how capitalistic world works. The more you bring value or the more people you effect, the more you make. In the end, it's extremely tough to be the highest level footballer. Basically nobody makes it there.

LOL, what value? The world went on just fine without sporting events during the lasts months.

BBZ8800

I wouldn't give Xavi control over everything.
He will probably buy 11 Puigs/David Silvas, lol. He is stuck in 2010'.

About Jordi or Kluivert, I was never impressed by Jordi as a footballer. He was average and a choir boy.
While Kluivert was a rockstar.

Kluievrt isn't mentally strong as Rijkaard or Lucho, but I would pick him over Xavi, Jordi, Pimienta or Setien.

He was coached by Van Gaal, Rijkaard, Hiddink.
He played for Barca, Ajax, Milan and Dutch NT team.
He has Dutch and Barca connections and probably knows a lot about total football (from Ajax, Barca and Dutch NT).
Also, he was an attacker, so it is more likely that he would set up a more attacking tactics than some former fullback, defender or a GK.

As Khaled said, it we pair Kluivert with an experienced assistant, I would rather give him a chance in last Barto's year.
And since he was a true, good, old No9, maybe he would save us from buying clowns like Lautaro or Gabriel Jesus.

For younger fans, best of Kluivert. He scored a CL winner for 1:0 (Ajax:Milan) in 1995, aged 19, in the 85th minute.
The same Milan who won 4:0 against Barca in 1994's final.
Later he played 6 years for Barca as a NO9 and scored 122 goals in 257 matches. And scored 24 CL goals in Barca's 4 CL seasons during his era.

Btw, last 3 Dutch coaches for Barca:
Cruijff, 4 La Ligas, 1 CL
Rijkaard, 2 La Ligas, 1 CL
Van Gaal, 2 La Ligas

Last edited:

Raketa10

Appointing Kluivert would be dumb as it gets. We need a top tier manager and not someone with no coaching experience at all.

BBZ8800

Appointing Kluivert would be dumb as it gets. We need a top tier manager and not someone with no coaching experience at all.

Big coaches won't come.
Koeman can't come.
Xavi is green.

The only options are Setien, EV, Unzue, Eusebio, Abelardo, Pimienta, Jordi Cruijff and Kluivert.

Pick one of those.

khaled_a_d

For the record, I think the point is to coach us for CL as a stop gap. 1-3 games (if he get to number four he will continue to next year for sure) before going back to your former job. We won't get a big name or even a mid-table coach for that.
So it is between Setien, Pimenta & Kluivert.

I don't know how good Kluivert is, but he is qualified to be a coach. He isn't a random ex-player who had no coaching aspiration before.
Pimenta is more experienced but exclusively with Kids. Even as a player he has only 121 appearance with senior teams (I think non in 1st division) . Will be hard for him to suddenly deal with 1st team players, never mind big name players.
Setien is obviously more accomplished/qualified than both. But if he totally lost dressing room I can see Abidal pushing him out.

fergus90

Quite honestly sometimes experience is over-rated and past achievements/failures can count for nothing, each new club is a chance for a clean slate. Rijkaard was an absolute disaster everywhere else apart from most of 04/05 and the entirety of 05/06. I mean we appointed him on the back of him managing a side to relegation. The last year and a half of his reign was also a mess.

Pep was unproven, then burst onto the scene winning everything and has now faded a bit, Zidane can't stop winning at Madrid. Klopp was average as a player and is an absolute beast of a manager, Bielsa had a distinctly average playing career and is a well respected manager. Mourinho couldn't do no wrong in his first 6-7 years of management and for a variety of reasons hasn't worked out for the last 5 years. People consider Koeman but he was laughably bad at Everton and distinctly average at Southampton however that's not to say if he manages Barca he wouldn't be a success.

The point is, sometimes you just have to gamble and just because someone is a success/failure at one club doesn't necessarily mean they're destined for the same at another. More often than that it's when players buy into a system and know exactly what is being asked of them as well as having the ability to implement it.

I wouldn't discard Kluivert on the back of no experience just like I wouldn't be so confident of success if a Poch or Klopp arrived. The problem with Barca though is player-power and until some of that core goes, no one will make a huge difference.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

The next manager is irrelevant unless changes to playing squad are made.

Old legs need replaced but wont happen as amigos hold too much power. Cant even see the next board taking them on.

When likes of Messi/Suarez want change I doubt they want the change that is needed and they think the amigos are still good enough and everyone else is to blame.

serghei

Setien is at least a level below EV as a coach, we decided to fire EV because those who -rightfully- wanted him gone last summer could not wait to get rid of him and impose their decision on the club. They didn't have a plan in hand when they made the decision, choose a weird timing too (after an undeserving loss in meaningless competition while being top of league)

No he's not. Both are Bilbao, Valencia, Betis level managers. He will be if Valverde manages to coach a big team in the future.

I don't see any top teams signing Valverde anytime soon.

JamDav1982

No he's not. Both are Bilbao, Valencia, Betis level managers. He will be if Valverde manages to coach a big team in the future.

Valverde is a far better coach than Setien.

Proved that at Barca and other clubs.

Even if EV should have been gone in summer. Setien is a disaster.

fergus90

I think he is, done a stellar job with Bilbao, has had managerial positions at Valencia, won the league at Olimpiacos. I'm not Valverde's biggest fan but he's definitely a tier above Setien.

serghei

OK, waiting for a big club to get him. He's free for 6 months. I have a feeling we'll see both Setien and Valverde at similar teams in the future. He did better at Barcelona because he arrived in a much better time, when the core was 3 years younger.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans